oil pressure question 82 308 gtsi - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
oil pressure question 82 308 gtsi

Hello there guys,quick question.
when out and about the oil pressure gauge on the ferrari fluctuates ,sometimes wildly!The car keeps its cool at all times,theirs no rattles or whatever has good pressure when high up the revband but if you go round a corner it can sometimes go to zero or at a constant speed ie on the motorway the gauge can be sat at say 65-75psi at 4000rpm and then suddenly drop to zero then bounce back to normal in a split second! this causes much anxiety in the cockpit! any ideas? Where is the sender?has it got a wire that could be shaking about? Or could it be the pick up pipe?(though recently serviced) thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
It's probably the sender itself that is bad. Mine's failed twice. The sender is on the oil filter base. You have to take the oil filter off then remove the hose to the oil cooler then remove the base. It's tricky but if you are mechanically clever you can do it yourself.

There's actually 2 senders. The one on the inboard side of the filter base is for the gauge. The other one on the outboard side of the filter base, the one that's easy to get to, is for the light in the gauge that comes on when you have zero oil pressure.

That's a double check. You'll notice when you turn the ignition on there is a light on the oil pressure gauge, when you start the engine the light goes out. Check that light everytime you start the car.

So with your issue I wouldn't worry too much as long as that light is functioning. If the gauge reads zero and that light is on, you'd better shut the car off and have it towed while the repair bill is still less than $2,000.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #3 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 465
I agree with what Pete said, but I'd also add to pay attention when it goes to zero when going around a turn -- if it's not doing it instantly, your oil level might be low. I'd pay extra attention looking to see if the light comes on, even if for just a brief flicker, when going around a turn.

- T

Tony K.

1980 308 GTBi

post #4 of 12 Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Good point Tony.
Woody, because the oil filter is mounted upsidedown, it will drain back into the sump when the engine is off. Most of the filters have a backflow valve but these can fail also. So if you check the oil in the morning before you start the car and it looks ok, it is probably a quart low.

To properly check the oil level you should run the car to operating temperature, shut it off and check the oil level within 2 minutes.

Capt. Pete
post #5 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
oil pressure!

Thanks for your time guys! The light comes on pre-ignition then goes out and I've never had it even flicker,But I usually check the oil before every run when cold but i had'nt thought of the filter being upside down!like the handbook says i shall now check when warm!she doesnt smoke but i think she likes to use a bit of oil also!But as i say pressures normally ok apart from on tickover at junctions and that erratic gauge behaviour gives you the willies and makes your heart sink!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Woody,
Your car is fine. Order the new sender and you and your buddie's can change it in an afternoon. It's about a 12 beer job.

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
lol

yup, prob the sender and not unusual: Matter of fact my 456 show ZERO for pressure

gotta fix it but I don't get excited anymore, it's been three weeks now....temp and all and driving below 3k RPM for about 15 min. = 'probably' good to go

then again I've blown and engine before ... somehow I don't think I'm making you feel better, but hey, If I'm comfortable, so should you

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #8 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
lol

yup, prob the sender and not unusual: Matter of fact my 456 show ZERO for pressure

gotta fix it but I don't get excited anymore, it's been three weeks now....temp and all and driving below 3k RPM for about 15 min. = 'probably' good to go

then again I've blown and engine before ... somehow I don't think I'm making you feel better, but hey, If I'm comfortable, so should you
I'm with Rik. My oil pressure gauge reads zero and I drive the shit out of that car.

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
---Matter of fact my 456 show ZERO for pressure ---
Mine does too all the time it sits in the garage!!!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Mine does too all the time it sits in the garage!!!

and you get
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #11 of 12 Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Send her over.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 04:30 AM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 107
Depending on the year of the 308...there are some of the cars that have a windage tray in the sump that leaves a lot to be desired. On those cars the loss of oil pressure is very REAL and is only experianced in hard corners, most noteably on right hand turns in my experiance with my red 77B.

I have to agree that the sender may also be a failure point in this case with it dropping to zero on the straights BUT... I just had a 308 apart that had the oil pickup 90% plugged with silicone worms tha broke free from the cam cover area....some is good, more is worse. In that case the engine showed good pressure at 2500 and went down as the revs went up.

Put a manual gauge on it before you go flogging it again and answer the question for sure. It would be a shame to ventilate a perfectly good engine on a guess.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode