308 power - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 03-24-2010, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
308 power

The 308 is a wonderful car. My only complaint is lack of power.
Of all the power upgrade options I have seen in the past this was
the most appealing in Forza magazine this month.

http://www.carobu.com/html/forza_article.html

I have no connection to them.

ncng
ncng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 47 Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 AM
Owner
 
Granucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: far and away
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
260-280 sounds very reasonable hp/wt ratio for that two seater.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !


Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Granucci is offline  
post #3 of 47 Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
They are very good and Nick's Forza in Washington State has a few tremendous mods as well.
Gcalo is offline  
 
post #4 of 47 Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Thanks for the Nick' Forza tip.
ncng is offline  
post #5 of 47 Old 03-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
A few years ago at Concorso he had quite a bit on display including a series of cars w/his upgrades.

It was quite impressive.

He knows what he's doing.
Gcalo is offline  
post #6 of 47 Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Owner
 
Daytona73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: France
Ferrari Life Posts: 181
The 308 rally cars prepared by Michelotto in the Eighties had 310 hp for the 2V.

Name:  ferraricorse82andruet.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  38.9 KB
Daytona73 is offline  
post #7 of 47 Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
The only niggle I had with my old 308 QV (240 HP) was lack of power at low revs in low gears. The engine had to be revved hard to get anywhere. In comparison my old 328 (270 HP) was much quicker off the mark at low revs.

Another 30 or 40 HP and better delivery of the power lower down the rev range is all the 308 needs. They are still tremendous cars and great fun to drive, I'd never disuade anyone from owning one.

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
post #8 of 47 Old 03-25-2010, 09:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
It's not a dragster. Look at the power curves. The 308 doesn't start making any real power until 4000 RPMs. That's when the car comes alive. It took me awhile to get used to it. You just have to be in one gear lower than the gear you think you should be in. If you are used to driving American V8's the Ferrari doesn't start making real power until well after those cars have reached their redline. The 308 isn't designed to go 0-100 in 5 seconds and pop wheelies in every gear. It is designed to go at least 120 mph on any road for hours on end and still have one gear to spare. The redline is 7800 rpms but we expect it to make power at 1000.

If you don't think the 308 has enough power I think you just aren't driving it right. Don't take that as an insult because none was intended. Just try it my way and drop it down a gear and see if you still think the car lacks power.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #9 of 47 Old 03-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I agree with you Pete, when you've owned one and driven it regularly you soon learn to keep the revs up. Saying that, the engine still has plenty of torque in high gears at low revs, if you are a lazy driver you can leave it in 5th on the motorway and it will still pull well from 2000 RPM

Archie
archiegibbs is offline  
post #10 of 47 Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiegibbs View Post
I agree with you Pete, when you've owned one and driven it regularly you soon learn to keep the revs up. Saying that, the engine still has plenty of torque in high gears at low revs, if you are a lazy driver you can leave it in 5th on the motorway and it will still pull well from 2000 RPM
Agreed. You can be lazy in the car and just drive it around in 5th gear. The car will let you do that. But you will feel that the car is slow to accelerate and has a lack of power. Slam the shifter into 2nd gear and grab some carpet with your right foot! There! The 308 fast enough for you now?

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
post #11 of 47 Old 03-26-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Gcalo,

Do you remember what year? I must have missed it.
Maybe I have some pictures.

ncng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
A few years ago at Concorso he had quite a bit on display including a series of cars w/his upgrades.

It was quite impressive.

He knows what he's doing.
ncng is offline  
post #12 of 47 Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
Pete,

No insult taken at all. I think all your comments are spot on. Overall I think it is more of a comment about the era of the 308 and here in the US all the smog regulations that CHOKED so many cars of the era. We went from US muscle cars and Ferrari V-12's to the SMOG era to small high revving tech control power plants. I just think adding some PASSING torque between 40-80mph
is all that is needed.

My thoughts,

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
It's not a dragster. Look at the power curves. The 308 doesn't start making any real power until 4000 RPMs. That's when the car comes alive. It took me awhile to get used to it. You just have to be in one gear lower than the gear you think you should be in. If you are used to driving American V8's the Ferrari doesn't start making real power until well after those cars have reached their redline. The 308 isn't designed to go 0-100 in 5 seconds and pop wheelies in every gear. It is designed to go at least 120 mph on any road for hours on end and still have one gear to spare. The redline is 7800 rpms but we expect it to make power at 1000.

If you don't think the 308 has enough power I think you just aren't driving it right. Don't take that as an insult because none was intended. Just try it my way and drop it down a gear and see if you still think the car lacks power.
ncng is offline  
post #13 of 47 Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Owner
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boulder Colorado
Ferrari Life Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncng View Post
Pete,

I just think adding some PASSING torque between 40-80mph
is all that is needed.

My thoughts,

Mark

Thats what I am working to improve on my 77B. The previous plan was to put a 355 engine in the car as a bolt in without major mods but I just enjoy a nice stock 308 too much to make the changes. The engineering is all done now and I will wait until a homely project car with a ventilated engine comes along my way for that.

My current plan is to build it completely Smog legal, fully streetable on todays pump fuel and have it virtually stock in appearance, I may even have Troy at Hyperflow build me a set of Cats for it to complete the experiment. Getting big HP numbers out of a 2v engine is an excersize in compromise and I feel the HP is a pretty good match for the car. A strong double digit improvement in torque would round out the package very nicely. The Smog laws will not get any easier in our lifetime which rules out big lumpy cams now and hanging hair dryers in the engine bay is too far removed from stock to fit my taste for this project, there is already a TR3 with a Judson sitting next to it in the garage. Longevity is a must for this project as it is highly subject to the Shoemakers kid syndrome and is my wifes car, no more need be said on that front!

Not too long from now enginefixr and I will be working his dyno to see if its a pipe dream or real.

Last edited by davehelms; 03-26-2010 at 04:44 AM.
davehelms is offline  
post #14 of 47 Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncng View Post
Gcalo,

Do you remember what year? I must have missed it.
Maybe I have some pictures.

ncng
I looked through my Concorso manuals and found that it was 2006!

I thought it was later.

Time flies!
Gcalo is offline  
post #15 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Here's my current idea for how to spice up a 308.....a V12

A supercharger on the stock ening is a whole lot easier though.
Attached Images
 
mk e is offline  
post #16 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Folks


In case you don't know MK e is very clever and has worked wonders to get this 12 into his car.

Keep an eye on this one.

Mk e did you ever get that project done?
Gcalo is offline  
post #17 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Folks


In case you don't know MK e is very clever and has worked wonders to get this 12 into his car.

Keep an eye on this one.

Mk e did you ever get that project done?
Thanks for the complement.

No, it’s not quite done yet. It may run this fall, but next spring is more probable….there is are still of lot of items left to comlete.
mk e is offline  
post #18 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Owner
 
Gcalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Ramon, Calif
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Don't know where you get the time or the energy to do that.

What a project!
Gcalo is offline  
post #19 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Owner
 
mk e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PA, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Don't know where you get the time or the energy to do that.

What a project!
I tend to jump into things without really thinking them through…. then I’m too stubborn to walk away. Impulsive and stubborn are a very bad combination.......
mk e is offline  
post #20 of 47 Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Grass Valley, CA USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
There's a Car & Driver (i think) artical from 1980 something, one page, of someone shoe-horning a 3.0 V-12 in an early 76-78 308.

Mark
ncng is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale