308 chin spoilers- are the deep and standard ones interchangeable? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
308 chin spoilers- are the deep and standard ones interchangeable?

Hi,

Archie, you might wanna cover your ears again....

My new baby is wrecking my head with that blasted deep chin spoiler. It's fine for tootling around town or in the nice billiard-table roads they have in the UK, but here it keeps hitting off the undulations in the road. Even a road with a prominent crown in the centre will hit the effing thing. Since I think it's pointless having a car like this if you can't drive it the way God intended (i.e. not like a nun), I'm considering a standard chin spoiler from Eurospares.

Can anyone tell me, though, are the standard and deep chin spoilers interchangeable? Or would I end up having to order the silver grille with the prancing horse on it too?? Eurospares' diagrams seem to suggest that they ARE, but I wanted to check if anyone has learned the hard way that they're not.

Thank you!

People often accuse me of thinking the entire world revolves around me. It doesn't. It revolves around the SUN... which shines out of my ar$e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 836
Garage
The Euro version 308 "deep chin" spoilers are very desirable in the USA, highly sought after and a premium paid for.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
I bought my 308 in the UK - Before a previous owner had changed from the shallowest of the 3 spoilers, to the deepest. Looking at the photos/record of the work he reused the grill. However, there is a bodyshop bill for 5000 or so for fitting that includes bodywork and wheelarch modification to accept the new spoiler. I've been thinking about changing to the middle of the 3 spoilers for your reason, but from that expect it might involve some bodywork to get the fit right.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 355
Garage
I am considering a deep dish front spoiler, but when I had my 348SS I got SICK of hitting every freaking thing with it and having to drive defensively to the point of being frustrated about it at times, so I may just leave the USA one on for now!

MB
post #5 of 12 Old 03-29-2010, 03:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 594
Garage
J, I went the other way and changed from a shallow spoiler to the deep one.
It's bolted on using if I remember right 8 mm nuts, may have been 10mm. They join along the indentation lip. I had it done in a couple of hours and used the original grill with no adverse affect. Inner arches at the spoiler are part of it so there were no mods needed.
Unfortunately I changed it before I started taking any photo's so don't have any of the job being done.

"When I was a boy, I had a dream. It now sits in my garage".
www.maranellohouse.com
Lifetime Honorary President NI Italian Motor Club www.niimc.net
post #6 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Hi folks, sorry for the delay in replying- I was away finding out if I could make a new life for myself in New Zealand (answer: ehhhhh no).

I've bought a standard chin spoiler from Eurospares which feels like it's been made from coke tins, it bends under its own WEIGHT when you stand it against the wall. It looks like it's been kicking around for a while too; rust spots on it and whatnot. Anyhoo, it's over getting painted at the moment, so hopefully I'll have it on by next weekend.

It won't be a moment too soon; the deep chin spoiler is now sporting fibreglass stubble along its bottom edge....

People often accuse me of thinking the entire world revolves around me. It doesn't. It revolves around the SUN... which shines out of my ar$e.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Owner

Garage
J, your back I'd been wondering how you got on. Not for you then. See, it may have it's troubles but it's hard to leave this little island.

The front thin Spoiler I took off my car had been made fron fibre and the deep one on the car now is made from fibre to.

You have no excuse now not to come along to the NIIMC All Ireland Italian gathering on the 31st july at Cultra transport museum. I'm trying to get as many cars, bikes and anything else Italian there as possible and it's starting to look like it could be a decent event.

Anyway good to see you back.

www.maranellohouse.com
post #8 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
stubble happens...
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENZ9_1 View Post
J, your back I'd been wondering how you got on. Not for you then. See, it may have it's troubles but it's hard to leave this little island.
If everybody I knew moved there with me, it'd be a GREAT place. The weather and scenery are lovely, there's no doubt about it. But being over there on your own's no fun. Funny how I had to go to the other side of the world to realise what I have at home....

Quote:
You have no excuse now not to come along to the NIIMC All Ireland Italian gathering on the 31st july at Cultra transport museum. I'm trying to get as many cars, bikes and anything else Italian there as possible and it's starting to look like it could be a decent event.
Aagh! Normally I'd be there like a shot but I might be going to a thing in Limerick the next day- I don't know which one I'll end up attending. As soon as I know myself, I'll let you know! Does that mean the usual First Tuesday meet is not happening in August?

Quote:
Anyway good to see you back.
Thank you, it's good to BE back. Me and Dorothy have something in common- there's no place like home. My shoes are more sensible than hers though.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-23-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Today I went to fit my freshly-painted high chin spoiler, and didn't get too far. It turns out I should've ordered what Eurospares call 'Gravel guards'- they form the lower part of the wheelarch lining, and the high-chin ones are a different shape to the the low-chin ones. Doh! Ah well, at least I realised quite quickly. If anyone knows of any other bits I'll need, now's the time to shout

PS Enz9_1, I intend to get to Cultra on the 31st, come hell or high chin spoiler...

post #11 of 12 Old 07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,439
I added a GTO valance and ran into the same issue.....and sooner or later I'll need to fix it. I had a pair of heat exchangers for an intercooler mounter in there so I just left them open but now that I'm going back to natural aspiration I guess it will be time to close up the holes.....hmmmm...maybe a brake vent.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 AM
Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITGuy View Post
Today I went to fit my freshly-painted high chin spoiler, and didn't get too far. It turns out I should've ordered what Eurospares call 'Gravel guards'- they form the lower part of the wheelarch lining, and the high-chin ones are a different shape to the the low-chin ones. Doh! Ah well, at least I realised quite quickly. If anyone knows of any other bits I'll need, now's the time to shout

PS Enz9_1, I intend to get to Cultra on the 31st, come hell or high chin spoiler...
Excellent job, look forward to meeting you. I'll be the one running around trying to organise everyone

Oh and I won't point out your hairy chin spoiler

www.maranellohouse.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode