308 gearbox overheat? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 36
308 gearbox overheat?

(Archie, cover your ears)

Hi folks,

I took my new baby out for a rip this evening, as I've done many times in the past couple of weeks. The roads were twisty and hilly, so plenty of gearchanging going on. She's never missed a beat on previous runs but midway through today's run, it suddenly became very difficult to engage any gear except 4th and 5th. The shift action felt wrong; taking much more effort than normal and when it DID go in (especially to third) it didn't feel like it had gone in properly- the positivity wasn't there.

I pulled in and let the car cool down for a few minutes, and 2nd and 3rd started behaving more normally. First and (especially) reverse are still giving gyp, though.

I'll go and check how they're behaving when the car's cooled down some more, but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this behaviour? Could it be that the gearbox oil overheated? There are no drips from the car, so it is highly unlikely to be low on gearbox oil.

The engine's temperatures and oil pressure remained rock-solid as usual throughout. The workout wasn't THAT punishing, so I'd be surprised if it was due to the 'box overheating, but I can't think what else it could be due to.

Any advice very welcome!

Oh, and somebody tell Archie he can uncover his ears now

People often accuse me of thinking the entire world revolves around me. It doesn't. It revolves around the SUN... which shines out of my ar$e.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 97
Did the clutch feel normal or did it seem to not disengage or slip? By your description it sounds like trans but I've never seen one do this while hot- many times while oil cold. Do you have a non-contact infra red thermometer?(available at autoparts stores for around $50.00 here) Maybe drive and see if trans gets hotter than engine (it shouldn't).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Better get some Redline oil in that gearbox before you toast the synchros!

post #4 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 828
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Better get some Redline oil in that gearbox before you toast the synchros!
+1
I would definitely check the fluid level as a first precaution

Either of these are preferred oils in the Dino gearbox, 308 may be the same.

Redline 75-90W NS
or
Swepco 201
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Never heard of that happening on a 308. Changing the gearbox oil definitely a good place to start.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
So what was the final outcome of this overheat issue?
post #7 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
So what was the final outcome of this overheat issue?
Leaving the car (and indeed the country) for three months seemed to do the trick....

It only happened that one time, I'm not even sure it WAS an overheat to tell you the truth. All I know is that it became difficult to change gear on that trip. I've driven it plenty of times since then, just as hard and for longer durations and it's never put a foot wrong. I put it down to Miscellaneous Weirdness but I'll change the gearbox oil to that Redline stuff the lads mentioned when I'm doing the oil and filter change next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ward View Post
Did the clutch feel normal or did it seem to not disengage or slip?
As far as I remember, the clutch felt fine, no slipping while driving and no making the car creep forward when sitting in gear with the pedal depressed.

Sorry for the delay in replying, and thanks to all for your help!

People often accuse me of thinking the entire world revolves around me. It doesn't. It revolves around the SUN... which shines out of my ar$e.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

By the way, if any UK readers are trying to figure out where they can buy Redline 75W90NS gearbox oil by the gallon, I ordered mine at http://www.lkperformance.co.uk . Redline's website had a big long list of resellers, but all the ones I clicked on prior to LK Performance only sold it by the quart. Mind you, four quarts cost exactly the same as one gallon but I hate to see wasted packaging.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode