Question about service on 348 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
Question about service on 348

Ok so I've homed in on this 348 spider with miles under 15k. The owner faxed me service records that were done 4 years ago and since then has only driven the car 200 miles. My question is does it really need another major out service? I am going to do a PPI, but before I invest $500 I want to know from the forum if it is a must to do a major...thanks for all the feedback
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelyasi View Post
Ok so I've homed in on this 348 spider with miles under 15k. The owner faxed me service records that were done 4 years ago and since then has only driven the car 200 miles. My question is does it really need another major out service? I am going to do a PPI, but before I invest $500 I want to know from the forum if it is a must to do a major...thanks for all the feedback

OBSOLUTELY: I would NOT trust ANY car only driven 200 miles in FOUR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fluids in brakes or radiator probably making toast of their systems. Water in lines for sure as never taken to speed to burn out the water.

Tires are about Toast.

IF owner doesn't want to do a major then he needs to lower or factor that into the car and if not THEN RUN LIKE THE WIND: BELIEVE ME< 355 / 348 engines are the worst at this because owners like to scrimp on the engine out formula if not the Three year formula which this car has obviously skipped.

MILES/TIME: which ever are first....PERIOD.

IF It were any, other, 'mass' produced Ferrrari it would still be required, but I'd have better feelings on more routine maintenance.

IF YOU do not, have a proper maintenance on that car, you can KISS YOUR MONEY away if NOT YOUR LIFE. There are many many fine examples out there, and will cost you less over the haul.

NOW: I've given the best advice you'll get. Your choice to let you emotion get in the way of the purchase. That car probably has about $10K worth of work, minimum, just to get it road worthy let alone good to go for another few years.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan

Last edited by Granucci; 03-05-2010 at 11:09 AM.
post #3 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Not much to add to that. Only 400 miles in 4 years, doesn't sound good. I would opt for 4000+ miles in 4 years in a high mileage, maintained one instead. There's plenty to choose from out there. Don't put yourself on the spot. Take your time and find the most appropriate one within your budget. Good luck. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Owner

ZEL: I'm thinking perhpas you thought me too harsh on my prev. reply. NOT. Nothing personal, it is I don't want you to make [similar] mistakes. Keep asking away.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #5 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
gonna have to be the contrarian here. shocker. I bought my 10yo diablo with 2,400 miles on it and it hadn't been driven a mile in years. had four flat tires when it was picked up and the fuel pumps were locked up with gum. Flushed and changed all the fluids, new fuel pumps (relatively cheap), new tires, spark plugs, battery and a couple of weeks of the old italian tune up and it was perfect for two years until i sold it. didn't spend a penny on mechanical repairs.

Having said that, have the car thoroughly gone over by an expert mechanic. pay for the full magilla. I like to see if they will work by the hour. 3 or 4 hours at 125/hr is under $500 and should suffice. If it gets a clean bill of health, i wouldn't worry about the miles. You take a certain risk with every car you buy, for different reasons.

all other things being equal other than mileage, i would consider price the most important. I would think you could get another 2 years at least before a major. Don't be afraid to tell the guy you are worried about the mileage to work the price. frankly, i would rather buy a car that needs a major so i know the work was done right. By my mechanic.

YMMV.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #6 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
That car probably has about $10K worth of work, minimum, just to get it road worthy let alone good to go for another few years.
not sure how you can say that about a car you know nothing about(not the model, this particular example). Seems a little irresponsible to scare a new guy like that.

Not trying to bust your balls, but the guy doesn't know you.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #7 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

thks

I like the feedback whether it's glass half full or glass half empty. I found a very knowledgable shop in Cleveland, OH called North Coast Exotics that will do a full major for 4k or if I just want to change all the belts for $2500...that's a hell of deal from a very reputable shop.

Hopefully the seller will go down another 3k and then I will have my first Ferrari. The anticipation of owning my first Ferrari is killing me! Wish me luck
post #8 of 27 Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 PM
Owner
Elite Member

I will agree with the granuch and tell you not to be emotional. I know that's near impossible. Sometimes it helps to have the first one pulled out from under you to bring you down to earth. I can tell you from experience that the effort will be worth it. You will be pleased.

post #9 of 27 Old 03-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
One should always be careful about:

a) a make of car about which he has had no prior experience
b) a service done "4" years ago
c) a car not driven much since then.

Rik is on the mark here. Fluids need to be changed every two years max; oil every year max!

I would be very skeptical about this car.

Spend $500 to have it checked. It's a cheap way to find out about the car.

Just find a good independent Ferrari mechanic in the area who can be "independent".

Last edited by Gcalo; 03-06-2010 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Not at all man...I love the feedback that holds me back some. I have that in my business too where I have to have someone slow me down, while I want to go ahead and do it. Believe me it has saved my ass on more than one occassion!
post #11 of 27 Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
fou
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post

Fluids need to be changed every two years max; oil every year max!
You of course mean at Minimum, right?
post #12 of 27 Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Owner

Depends upon usage.

Engine oil 1 year max.

Tranny/rear end = every year (I do mine 2X's/year)

Brake fluid = every 2 years unless tracked.
Coolant = every 2 years
P/S fluid = every 2 years

and so on.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 18
drive the car get it red hot. Get it on a lift check it out. the engine out is not that big a deal on these. $2500-3k belts, drop the fluids and get a base line to start with. 348s have lots of bugaboos (motronic, fusebox, electric) if you can buy it right i would not be scarred of it. long term it is big $$ to run these cars. Fun car, radical to drive fast and good pedal placement for heel/toe. good luck
post #14 of 27 Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
So what happened

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #15 of 27 Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 73
its upto you zelyasi
i would only because i am that kind of person, its a top end car so dealing in big money and you shouldn't take any chances.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Owner

He should be a bit scared: Keeps him an owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
not sure how you can say that about a car you know nothing about(not the model, this particular example). Seems a little irresponsible to scare a new guy like that.

Not trying to bust your balls, but the guy doesn't know you.
Um, HUH... ^ ya' I think you are

ok, how about 8-10k, honestly if you know better post such.

Engine out, on a bargain is about $3K [why would a licensed mech waste his time IF he knows these engines....I know as I've had my 348 out three times and with many quotes from 'qualified' even Ferrari mechs....]

Hoses, liquids, heater cores, transmission [does he have the one where the screw comes off the tranny causing a gears to go toast?..have to check it out, $$$. My production run didn't have the problem]
Did he get the updated Oil Change guide part? Hmmm, where is the docs for THAT..if that goes, so go your valves.
Are his leveling actuators ok, are his fans in order, is all the rubber bits, sticky-no-mores in order.

A museum piece, might be a good place to start, but NOT just slap it on the street.

Just because one buys and is good to go with a simple fluid change doesn't make me jump at giving advice to purchase that without a full service: I consider NOT addressing such with a full PPI a very bad piece of advice...but we've tangled before....Know you have more experience in the car biz than I, but honestly, he is in for a gamble without the full service let alone a PPI.

200 miles/ five years...ya' I'll keep my money more safe following the straight and narrow.

Now he knows me better.....then again I'm quite certain taking your advice without addressing his direct question, that he can come to you to make it better.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 03-12-2010 at 10:48 AM.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Owner

Back to the OP's question

I suggest that this site offers, in writing, some sound advice: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php#35

try this download and then ask some more questions. IF you want to not regard some previous owner's experience and just wing it via the "well I've done this approach", then so be it, go for it...sure may/may not ever hear from you again.

Know I'm being a bit harsh, but if you want this to be a good experience I suggest more investigation and proper addressing of the mechanics involved. IF NOT I'd expect you to bit the bullet and just make that purchase good = now you are into it, or
You'll sell it short and swear off Ferraris/exotics.

I've done due dil, and gotten a bit south on a couple purchases, even though I checked them out quite well. THEN, sometimes NOT. <-- see the point? It can be a gamble under the best of circumstance.

Read the general buying tips in that guide, and ask specifically ..

BTW: There are interesting issues posted here too. Have you reviewed this : http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11213

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 03-12-2010 at 12:31 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 03-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Owner

Now on my meds side

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetpet View Post
I will agree with the granuch and tell you not to be emotional. I know that's near impossible. Sometimes it helps to have the first one pulled out from under you to bring you down to earth. I can tell you from experience that the effort will be worth it. You will be pleased.

THIS is the WET I have come to love...come here big guy, someone wants a squeeze

ok, well, not THAT far.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #19 of 27 Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

changed mind on 348

So I ended up passing on that 348...too many chances to take on my first ferrari, and I don't want to risk unwanted costs ruining the experience, especially my first. In fact I ended up passing on a 348 period...just heard that the 355 were just faster, and more reliable. So I started to check a couple of those out and I liked the 355's better, until I saw a 550 on Youtube! Don't tell my wife, but I think I'm in love!!!

So I got this 550 that I'm doing a PPI tomorrow, carfax came back good, and if the stars are all lined up and the Ferrari god smiles on me then I shall have my first Ferrari next week.

So excited that I keep watching Ferrari videos on youtube...love it...hope to see you guys out on the road. Thanks for all the advice.
post #20 of 27 Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Owner

Good decision process but, again, be careful and don't jump on it until you have a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic check it out, and hopefully that's who is doing the PPI.

550's are great cars but they eat a bit more fuel (12 cylinders) and can be a bit costly for services.

If it looks good, though, go for it and let us know.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode