Seat restoration - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Seat restoration

Hi,

Well as i said in my presentation thread, my 355 needed some interior detailing. So these days i took off the seats and started reconditioning them. here are the pics. Its still not completely finished but theres a noticeable change.

Here are the pics of the drivers seat

Now after some cleaning and sanding (yes, sanding) i applied the compound to fill the cracks. here we call it liquid leather, dont know in the US.

And after some sanding again and dyeing TARAAAAAAA! and remember, its not finished yet i still have to apply the conditioner

So, How do you like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
very impressed: Now, ho'd you do it?

Looks like you might have dyed it a bit.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 21 Old 03-04-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

1- The first thing is to clean the seat with a leather cleaner
2- Sand the cracks (400 grit paper)
3- Clean all dust
4-Apply the "liquid leather compound" to the cracks and wait minimun 4 hours
5- Sand once dry (400 grit paper)
5- Dye the part in very thin layers waiting 15 minutes between layers
6- Wait 24 hours for everything to dry and settle
7- Apply leather conditioner
8- Enjoy your new seat

here is a pic of it finished. Just conditioned 10 minutes ago

It looks a lot worse in pics than live. Theres a lot of shadows and brightness so it looks crap. But believe me that the seat looks new.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #5 of 21 Old 03-09-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

And here are some parts of the centre console.
I talked with rob (stickynomore) and was going to send the parts to him for a refurbish. But in the end I didnt want to risk to get all those parts lost in the way so i thought, ill give it a try and if it doesnt work ill send them.
here are the results, i think it came out pretty well. heres the ashtray

after some elbow grease

post #6 of 21 Old 03-09-2010, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

more

post #7 of 21 Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Very impressive. Looking good for Spring!
post #8 of 21 Old 03-16-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Today I received the HVAC panel from hill engineering. So, finally, my interior reconditioning is officially finished

post #9 of 21 Old 05-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
had a little wear on the side of my driver's seat too, dying solved all the problems, really impressed with the results. Also have some sticky switches etc, interested to hear the results of other owners.
post #10 of 21 Old 06-11-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Long time since I didnt post.

Well, finally my car is having its major done and in little time Ill be driving my gts enjoying the sun

This time Iīve refurbished the undertray. Donīt know what previous owners did but it was destroyed, maybe because of jacking up the car using the wrong spots? who knows...
Here are some pics, The hole with the surfboard shape was done by me. That part was completely broken and it was easier to build it from scratch.

other damage, before and after pics

Ive just applied the first coat of paint

Here you can appreciate the the "lip" (the parts that goes with the front undertray) that I had to build form scratch

I know it isnt esthetically perfect, but as it is the undertray that will eventually get scratched and its hidden, Ill leave it as it is.
post #11 of 21 Old 06-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
The seats look new. Photos really bring out the worst of the worst, so I can appreciate the "after" shots!

I'd say that's a great job on the front undertray, considering how tricky it is when making a lip on the side as well as dipping up and down on the front.

As for the instrument panel and "elbow grease", what else (besides the elbow grease) did you use?

Last edited by Neonzapper; 06-11-2010 at 01:31 PM.
post #12 of 21 Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturin View Post
Long time since I didnt post.

Well, finally my car is having its major done and in little time Ill be driving my gts enjoying the sun

This time Iīve refurbished the undertray. Donīt know what previous owners did but it was destroyed, maybe because of jacking up the car using the wrong spots? who knows...
Here are some pics, The hole with the surfboard shape was done by me. That part was completely broken and it was easier to build it from scratch.

other damage, before and after pics

Ive just applied the first coat of paint

Here you can appreciate the the "lip" (the parts that goes with the front undertray) that I had to build form scratch

I know it isnt esthetically perfect, but as it is the undertray that will eventually get scratched and its hidden, Ill leave it as it is.
Very impressive. Per my experience driving around Spain and Portugal, a few pot holes and speed bumps can really destroy the undertray. Saw quite a few F355s and 550s with major problems.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-22-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Could be something to do with speed bumps I guess... The rear difussers are brand new, they even got the sticker with the part number. Anyhow, the underside of the car is perfect, all the gear linkage, the brake lines, the floor... everything like brand new, and I mean absoluletely perfect not even a dent.
post #14 of 21 Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Owner

Don't know where you are from but your abilities look great.

We have a local person here for such which just makes it easier...someday my bits and pieces when cars have a lull period and econ takes a break.

What can/did you ever do for, say, the front bottom spoilers like on a Mondial or such? Lots of scrape and bit marks there.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #15 of 21 Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Don't know where you are from but your abilities look great.

We have a local person here for such which just makes it easier...someday my bits and pieces when cars have a lull period and econ takes a break.

What can/did you ever do for, say, the front bottom spoilers like on a Mondial or such? Lots of scrape and bit marks there.
He is in Spain where the rain stays on the plain ............... and the banks have yet to come clean on the amount of bad property loans they are holding on the books.............
post #16 of 21 Old 06-23-2010, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Exactly Iīm Spaniard and yes, the banks are in trouble, well pretty much as most the people that thought they were rich and then realized that they were poors living an illusion. Thats why I got my 355 at a good price. Anyhow, until the mentally challenged president we suffer doesnīt go or someone kills him we will not get better, and even if he goes its going to be several years till everything goes right.

Granucci, what could I do with the mondial spoilers? mmmhh well, i donīt even know what they look like If its something like this undertray you can do it yourself its not that difficult, in fact, this was the first time I worked with glass fiber and look at the result!

A video that I found really useful was this one, have a look at it, Iīm sure It will encourage you to at least give it a try. From minute 1:37 and on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Uefa5lips

Last edited by Arturin; 06-23-2010 at 05:06 AM.
post #17 of 21 Old 06-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
What you did on the seats would be great for the Tech Talk section since the information would be usefull for anyone with leather seats.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #18 of 21 Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Exactly Iīm Spaniard and yes, the banks are in trouble, well pretty much as most the people that thought they were rich and then realized that they were poors living an illusion. Thats why I got my 355 at a good price. Anyhow, until the mentally challenged president we suffer doesnīt go
Zapatero is a really piece of work. Reality just does not bite him in the butt often enough.
post #19 of 21 Old 06-23-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonzapper View Post
The seats look new. Photos really bring out the worst of the worst, so I can appreciate the "after" shots!

I'd say that's a great job on the front undertray, considering how tricky it is when making a lip on the side as well as dipping up and down on the front.

As for the instrument panel and "elbow grease", what else (besides the elbow grease) did you use?
Sorry for the late answer I missed your post :S What I did was strip all the sticky paint with a green scotch brite pad and my sisterīs nail polish remover. (Remember to buy a new bottle if you donīt want your testicles cut off) Then I painted everything with Wurthīs textuplast bumper paint spray, it doesnīt require primer, it can be directly applied and it has a texturized surface that matches quite well the replacement HVAC panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Zapatero is a really piece of work. Reality just does not bite him in the butt often enough.
A whole scientific study could be done with that person. For gods sake how can a person who doesnīt know even a bit of english and has no studies be the president of an european country? Better not talk about him because Iīll end up smashing my computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
What you did on the seats would be great for the Tech Talk section since the information would be usefull for anyone with leather seats.
Do I have to open a new thread in there or what should I do? Iīm no expert but if i can help someone who is going to give it a try I`ll be wiling to help in everything I can.
post #20 of 21 Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM
Owner

Quote:
A whole scientific study could be done with that person. For gods sake how can a person who doesnīt know even a bit of english and has no studies be the president of an european country? Better not talk about him because Iīll end up smashing my computer....
how, well, oh, you don't want a recent history lesson do you?

Quote:
Do I have to open a new thread in there or what should I do? Iīm no expert but if i can help someone who is going to give it a try I`ll be wiling to help in everything I can.
I'm thinking if you PM Andrew he might open a sort of wiki regarding refurbishing to include areas into interior exterior tools supplies etc. etc.

I noticed detailersdomain, a sponsor with a few posts recently, [ http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12349 ] and it's getting a bit all over the place too: not his fault if any...just saying.

Move all to a sort of wiki..

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode