Buying missing parts, need advice - Ferrari Life
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Arturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Buying missing parts, need advice

Hi gentlemen,

Now that I have the car and having to wait at least one month for the mechanic to have time to make the major service to the 355, Iīm in the search of missing parts.

Apparently when the last major service was done, the people who did it forgot to put the timing covers in place And i guess they decided that taking everthing apart again just to put them wasnīt worth.

Now Im going to buy those parts.



I`m going to buy the 28 and 22 parts of the diagram along with their respective bolts. But, what are 29 and 23??? it says that its a protection but is it really necessary or can I just put the timing guards and not these pieces?

Another thing, there are two types of guards the 3 bolt old ones and the revised 5 bolt. Will there be any problem if i put the 3 bolt old ones? Or is there something wrong with them and should be changed for the 5 bolt?

thanks
Arturin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturin View Post
Hi gentlemen,


Apparently when the last major service was done, the people who did it forgot to put the timing covers in place And i guess they decided that taking everthing apart again just to put them wasnīt worth.
omg. How can you miss that! I would definitely recommend replacing them. Pretty unbelievable. Hopefully you can tell us the name of that shop so none of us will go there.

If you got the car a PPI please let us know who did that as well.

I would advise putting all parts back on including the updated ones. have a competent mechanic do it.



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by wetpet; 02-17-2010 at 02:56 PM.
wetpet is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Arturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 26
The people who will service my car know what theyre doing. They are the ones who service all these type of cars in the middle-north area of Spain and theyre just 5 miles away from my home (Lucky me! ) If its a strange/exotic car take it to them. The other day when I went to talk to them they were servicing a group B Ford rs200 and a lambo diablo...

Just a stupid question I have( Donīt want to flood the forum with new threads with my stupid questions):

The knob on the speedo gauge is to reset the partial milleage,so far so good. But what the hell is the function of the knob in the rev gauge???
Arturin is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
wetpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chevy Chase, Md
Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
wetpet is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
You should be able to get all the parts you need from Eurospares int eh UK.
Boxer is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
Arturin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Ferrari Life Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
You should be able to get all the parts you need from Eurospares int eh UK.
Thats were Iīm getting them from
Arturin is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
355
Owner
 
355's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Ferrari Life Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturin View Post
The people who will service my car know what theyre doing. They are the ones who service all these type of cars in the middle-north area of Spain and theyre just 5 miles away from my home (Lucky me! ) If its a strange/exotic car take it to them. The other day when I went to talk to them they were servicing a group B Ford rs200 and a lambo diablo...

Just a stupid question I have( Donīt want to flood the forum with new threads with my stupid questions):

The knob on the speedo gauge is to reset the partial milleage,so far so good. But what the hell is the function of the knob in the rev gauge???
Its the dimmer switch for all of your gauge lights.
355 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
Pete04222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: USA & Singapore
Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturin View Post
But, what are 29 and 23??? it says that its a protection but is it really necessary or can I just put the timing guards and not these pieces?

Another thing, there are two types of guards the 3 bolt old ones and the revised 5 bolt. Will there be any problem if i put the 3 bolt old ones? Or is there something wrong with them and should be changed for the 5 bolt?

thanks
29 and 23 are shields that prevent oil from contaminating the belts should the camshaft seals leak. They need to be installed BEFORE the belts. You can leave them off with no problems. Just get them and install them next time you change the belts. If your camshaft seals are leaking then you will need to change the seals and the belts and make sure you put these plates in. If the camshafts are not leaking you are fine leaving these plates out.

As for the 3 bolt vs. 5 bolt, the cover is just a machinery guard and doesn't affect the operation or performance of the engine, it just keeps rocks and fingers and squirrels out of the belts. Given the option I'd go with the 5 bolt. With the 3 bolt if one loosens there is only 2 holding it on. There is no problem with the 3 bolt but if that's the one you get consider just a drop of blue Loctite on the bolt threads.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
Pete04222 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale