Carb vs QV 308's - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 143
Carb vs QV 308's

I would appreciate some impartial advice. I'm planning to get a 308 GTS. Been looking at a few cars, not in any great rush but plan on buying one soon.

A number of people have said to me the Carb is the most desirable model. I know the injection was underpowered and the QV is more complex but I had thought the later the better as body protection was apparently better from 1982 onwards. Though I expect most 308's if maintained properly would all have had some bodywork by now.

Being quite honest, I have driven a QV and though it sounded fantastic, it wasnt that quick but then my other reference point is a 575. Anyway I am not after performance from a 308, it will be a car to be cared for, cherished for many years hopefully and enjoyed when the weather is good.

I know there were detail changes on the interiors, but I would appreciate if someone can go into more detail, specifically as the title, relative merits or demerits of Carb and QV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Both the QV and the GTB/GTS (i.e. carbed 308s) are great cars. If I would buy a 308 (and I have considered it seriously), it would have to be a Vetroresina (glassfibre) one, though, for several reasons. Principally, it would be because it is quite a bit lighter and the carbed engine is quite powerful. Consequently, it is the quickest and nimblest of all 308's. I also like the pure, original lines, particularly with original Michelin XWX's. But there is no GTS version of the glassfibre car.

For a GTS, a carbed version or QV doesn't matter all that much too me, personally. They each have their own charm. The GTS (ie. non QV) is more '70ies in feel and apperance. Particularly the interior looks more period and for me that's a plus. But the QV is a bit more together and as you say it is the last in the line and benefits from a steady line of improvement. I do love the carbed engine, though, you can hear it sucking in air if you drop the righthand window, that is just so cool.

Personally, I would seek out both the GTS and GTS QV and try out individual examples. Then I'd only buy when I would find a pristine example. There are many, many, many 308's out there but very few that I would buy. Since they don't benefit (financially) from a proper restoration - yet - there are not that many left in great condition, particularly that have been driven as well. For me, it would have to be a car in great physical shape that has not been sitting under a cover for decades. And bear in mind that they are between 34 and 24 years' old, combined with the 'baby Ferrari' position, means that a large percentage of them need work, and it is not unheard of to spend GBP15k on an engine.

Best of luck - let us know what you decide.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Both the QV and the GTB/GTS (i.e. carbed 308s) are great cars. If I would buy a 308 (and I have considered it seriously), it would have to be a Vetroresina (glassfibre) one, though, for several reasons. Principally, it would be because it is quite a bit lighter and the carbed engine is quite powerful. Consequently, it is the quickest and nimblest of all 308's. I also like the pure, original lines, particularly with original Michelin XWX's. But there is no GTS version of the glassfibre car.

For a GTS, a carbed version or QV doesn't matter all that much too me, personally. They each have their own charm. The GTS (ie. non QV) is more '70ies in feel and apperance. Particularly the interior looks more period and for me that's a plus. But the QV is a bit more together and as you say it is the last in the line and benefits from a steady line of improvement. I do love the carbed engine, though, you can hear it sucking in air if you drop the righthand window, that is just so cool.

Personally, I would seek out both the GTS and GTS QV and try out individual examples. Then I'd only buy when I would find a pristine example. There are many, many, many 308's out there but very few that I would buy. Since they don't benefit (financially) from a proper restoration - yet - there are not that many left in great condition, particularly that have been driven as well. For me, it would have to be a car in great physical shape that has not been sitting under a cover for decades. And bear in mind that they are between 34 and 24 years' old, combined with the 'baby Ferrari' position, means that a large percentage of them need work, and it is not unheard of to spend GBP15k on an engine.

Best of luck - let us know what you decide.

Onno
Thanks Onno, great advice and it echoes what I have heard from other sources too. I suspect you are right, Al said to me that many cars look good on the outside but how many are really clean when you get under the skin? Understandable that a lot of people dont spend big money on the body as the value of the cars does not justify it. I'm not in a great rush and plan to take my time and find a good one, then keep it for a long time. I have wanted one since I was a teengaer but being 6'4 I had always thought I would never be able to fit. It's only recently that I have tried a few and found it's a perfect fit for me.

For me too, I prefer the more retro interior and I do want a GTS so that rules out a Vetroresina, even though looking at photos of Boxer's old car it was an absolute beauty (sorry I forgot the present owner's name even though I know he is here).

There are a few nice Carb examples for sale as well here in the UK as well as possibly one of the FLife members cars (I wont mention which one for the sake of his privacy) so there do seem to be a few around. I guess to my advantage is that at the price point they are, most people prefer to go for something more modern like a 348/355 while I have been there and done that many times and want to get into a real retro car (though obviously not as retro and unaffordable as a 250 GT )

post #4 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
Hi, interesting choice! Agree with Onno's advice.

Vetro's are really cool, but - alas - not available as Spiders. I think the FLer you're referring to goes by the moniker Vitalone around these parts. He's got a pretty impressive retro with awesome period wheels.

But back to the topic: my 2 (or rather 3) cts would be

1. try out all different kinds, it's useful and fun. Personally I liked the carbed 308 best, found the GTSi a bit sluggish and thought the QV decent

2. either get a carb, but also consider a 328 should you be leaning towards a QV instead. Granted, it's less 70s, but it's way better sorted altogether

3. get a nice one, both technically and body-wise. Personally I don't require perfection, but on the important aspects (maintenance, chassis integrity, etc.) one shouldn't compromise.

Ciao,
Irvin

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #5 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF View Post
Hi, interesting choice! Agree with Onno's advice.

Vetro's are really cool, but - alas - not available as Spiders. I think the FLer you're referring to goes by the moniker Vitalone around these parts. He's got a pretty impressive retro with awesome period wheels.

But back to the topic: my 2 (or rather 3) cts would be

1. try out all different kinds, it's useful and fun. Personally I liked the carbed 308 best, found the GTSi a bit sluggish and thought the QV decent

2. either get a carb, but also consider a 328 should you be leaning towards a QV instead. Granted, it's less 70s, but it's way better sorted altogether

3. get a nice one, both technically and body-wise. Personally I don't require perfection, but on the important aspects (maintenance, chassis integrity, etc.) one shouldn't compromise.

Ciao,
Irvin
Good points again, thank you. I have driven a QV and plan to try a carb in the next week.

I agree on 328 being a better sorted, in fact there is a great 328 here for not much more than 308 money and the colour would go very well with my 575, but sadly there is less room in a RHD 328 than 308 and for me that is a problem

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1369650.htm
post #6 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM
IPF
Owner

That is one great looking 328! albeit a bit highish on miles, but with the TLC it seems to have gotten and at this price that could be acceptable. Absolutely love the colour by the way.

But... you may be quite right in terms of the room for tall people in a 328: it just isn't all that. I am a mere 5'10 and the car fits me like a glove. One of my friends is about 6'1'' and for him it's not an easy fit at all. You are 6'4'', which indeed begs the question...

But hey, between a 308 QV and carb there's little to complain, is there? I totally agree on the GTS preference by the way. Only today I took my GTS out for a 150 mile trip, roof off of course. Even at near freezing, it's a lovely experience: the fresh air, the surprisingly good aerodynamics, and of course the sound!

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #7 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPF View Post
That is one great looking 328! albeit a bit highish on miles, but with the TLC it seems to have gotten and at this price that could be acceptable. Absolutely love the colour by the way.

But... you may be quite right in terms of the room for tall people in a 328: it just isn't all that. I am a mere 5'10 and the car fits me like a glove. One of my friends is about 6'1'' and for him it's not an easy fit at all. You are 6'4'', which indeed begs the question...

But hey, between a 308 QV and carb there's little to complain, is there? I totally agree on the GTS preference by the way. Only today I took my GTS out for a 150 mile trip, roof off of course. Even at near freezing, it's a lovely experience: the fresh air, the surprisingly good aerodynamics, and of course the sound!
It is strange, a 308 fits me like a glove, long legs and size 12 feet. Not sure what exactly changed but the one 328 I tried felt a lot smaller inside. But anyway as I prefer the more 'old school' interiors then that works better for me than the 80s switchgear on the 328

I'm really more concerned with condition than mileage. A nice car that has been taken care of and driven and enjoyed over the years will be up on the miles, I have no problem with that
post #8 of 36 Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
IPF
Owner

It's indeed curious. May have to do with internal rearrangements. Never checked, but there may be a difference in width/position of mid console. There is a small but marked difference in driving position between 308s and 328s. Also the seat design changed between models. The 328's seats are quite tight in terms of width (esp. notable around the back/shoulder area).

I agree with you on the mileage thing. It's way too much of an obsession and often regarded out of context. A low mileage 'garage queen' can be a disaster, a low- to mid-mileage yet untended care can mess you up, whereas a well-kept one with a bit of legs can serve perfectly. Mine's up to just over 40k after 23 years and running like clockwork. Give her 20 miles to warm up properly ... and off she goes!

Have fun testing the Carb 308!

post #9 of 36 Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Regarding fitting into a 328 and a 308, this is my experience. I'm 6.0 ft tall with UK size 10 feet (11 US / 44 Euro) and weigh approx 160 lbs (11.7 stones). I had no problem getting my feet into the footwell of my RHD 328, but the cabin was very snug, I wouldn't have been comfortable if I were much taller.
On the other hand the 308 seems to have a much bigger cabin, but the footwell in my RHD car is very cramped. Unless I wear narrow driving shoes, my feet get tangled up in the pedals and I can sometimes get my right foot caught on the brake and gas at the same time. I don't think this is the case on LHD's as the gas pedal is on the inside and isn't restricted by the back wall of the wheel arch.

Archie
post #10 of 36 Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post
.....For me too, I prefer the more retro interior....
I think you are making up your own mind

QVs and carbs are over 20 years old now so it will be down to a particular car based on condition, history and colour that will take your eye.....

I am sure you know but it may be worth a trip to the Ferraris Centre in Kent to have a look at a few side by side....failing that you are welcome to come an have a look at my carbed B if it will help (not for sale and its a B anyway)

for me it had to be carbed (and a B)
post #11 of 36 Old 01-13-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewE View Post
I think you are making up your own mind

QVs and carbs are over 20 years old now so it will be down to a particular car based on condition, history and colour that will take your eye.....

I am sure you know but it may be worth a trip to the Ferraris Centre in Kent to have a look at a few side by side....failing that you are welcome to come an have a look at my carbed B if it will help (not for sale and its a B anyway)

for me it had to be carbed (and a B)
Thanks, not really thinking about anything in this snow but once the weather improves I'm sure I will be back on the case. I did try and get down to KHPC last week to look at their GTS but Arthur said (understandably) a drive was out of the question in the present weather. I have also been questioning if I need another Ferrari but I'm sure I will decide I do once more when things brighten up weather wise.

Appreciate the kind offer
post #12 of 36 Old 01-17-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Thanks for all the advice guys, bought a carb GTS today. Comes with the Alsa seal of approval on the bodywork which is worth it's weight in gold to me

Big thanks to Archie, in the end I went for the carb but thank you for all your advice re. 308s. Hopefully someone we know will buy your car so it will stay 'in the family' so to speak.

Pics to follow once I get the car home and some decent weather arrives. Here is one for now.
Attached Images

post #13 of 36 Old 01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Looks great. Well done
post #14 of 36 Old 01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Congrats on the purchase, it looks stunning. Should be a great addition to the 575. Looking fwd to hearing your experiences, hope you get some good weather soon.

Archie
post #15 of 36 Old 01-18-2010, 04:47 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Looks great CGT. Congrats. I'm terribly jealous....!
Enjoy.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 36 Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
cgt
Owner

Thanks guys, wanted one of these since childhood. Love the power of the 575 but this is something totally different. Look forward to bonding with it.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgt View Post
Thanks guys, wanted one of these since childhood. Love the power of the 575 but this is something totally different. Look forward to bonding with it.
Congratulations!

It would be great to hear about your impressions when you have bonded properly with your new beauty.

il Capolino

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
IPF
Owner

Lovely colour combo. Congrats and happy 'horsing' about!

post #19 of 36 Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,008
Looks good CGT!

post #20 of 36 Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 382
Congrats on getting into a carb car. The throttle response and torque is undoubtedly better than any of the QVs or 328s.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode