328 GTS Purchase - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
328 GTS Purchase

Hi,

I'm looking at a 1989 328 GTS with 22,053 miles, red-on-tan with fresh belt service. Appreciate any opinions on this mileage level. Also, can anyone recommend a good shop for a PPI in the Chicago area?
Thanks, rmc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 22
How much?

Finesse is everything.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuming View Post
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1989 328 GTS with 22,053 miles, red-on-tan with fresh belt service. Appreciate any opinions on this mileage level. Also, can anyone recommend a good shop for a PPI in the Chicago area?
Thanks, rmc

Welcome to FL, rcuming. Do not get hung up with mileage. Very skeptical of low mileage versus 20+ years car, unless the owner can show records otherwise. Instead, ask and look for recent maintenances and driving habits. There are so many variables that low mileage, records, etc. cannot guarantee conditions. No matter how well maintained and so forth, do expect to encounter minor problems and repairs within the first six months or so when you start putting mileage. With all that in mind, consider the asking price and weigh how much you intend to spend after purchase for shaping up the car.
Good luck with your search and I am positive others here would be more than willing to help you out to make the most sensible decision. Do keep us updated. w/ smiles Jimmy

post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 AM
IPF
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 290
+1: Welcome and do stop worrying overly about mileage!

Actually, in many ways mileage is good. If a Ferrari runs regularly, it remains well-oiled, its moving parts and ballbearings don't get stuck, its hoses and tubes don't dry out, etc.etc. Personally I am more worried about not running my 328 in this wintery period than about any of the kilometers I've put on its clock.

The car you're considering is 21 years old, so with 22k mileage has run just over 1,000 miles a year. That equates to an average of say 40 miles per fortnight. Clearly, actual use will have been more 'lumpy', but this (average) level of usage is very mild and probably towards the lower level of what the car needs to stay 'fit'.

As Jimmy points out very clearly, the way the car has been run and maintained is far, far more important than the number of miles. Check maintenance history (have all majors been done roughly on schedule!?), also check appearance in details (does it look like previous owners actually cared for it?). Also check accident history: minor scuffs are not a major issue, but anything remotely structural (chassis impact, etc.) should be regarded with suspicion.

Then again, these cars are 2 decades old and though well-built, not immune to the toll of time. So indeed expect minor repairs. For instance, in the first 6 months after I acquired mine I had to fix one of the door mechanisms, which had loosened a bit; my coolant filler cap broke one day due to a tiny spring rotting through, I replaced my front hood strut, etc. Details, details...

But indeed, get a proper PPI done for the major stuff. You really want to know whether it's fundamentally OK. Make sure it includes test drives: does everything function properly, does it run and handle smoothly (note: best judged by someone used to 328s: some things appear a bit rough like shifting to 2 when cold, and steering at low speed, but that's normal). Best to attend the PPI yourself so you can see, hear, experience everything first hand. It's fun!

Best of luck and please, do post if and when you get your 328!
Irvin

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.

Last edited by IPF; 01-09-2010 at 02:11 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2010, 03:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Can only agree with Jimmy and Irvin in the posts above.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Owner

I'm offering my 328GTS nero/nero w/ 20K miles for 59K.

Finesse is everything.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
IPF
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus View Post
I'm offering my 328GTS nero/nero w/ 20K miles for 59K.
Any pics, for prospective buyers? (and the simply curious )

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse of course. That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mister F.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Owner

I have this one I like.
Attached Images

Finesse is everything.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 12:17 PM
IPF
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus View Post
I have this one I like.
Wow... Is that picture for real?!

Brilliant car, the all-black thing is imposing, menacing in an elegant way. Like it a lot!

But what a freaky Bob-Rossy thunderstorm in the background. Wouldn't want to be caught in anything like that...

post #10 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,354
Find out who did the belt service and what else was done. A lot of times used car dealers will just have thier own mechanics put on belts so they can say it's been done. There are other things that need to be done during the major.

------------------------------

Life is Good!
post #11 of 14 Old 01-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 460
Give a call to Lake Forest Sports Cars in Chicago area for a PPI---Great people....
post #12 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKRace View Post
Find out who did the belt service and what else was done. A lot of times used car dealers will just have thier own mechanics put on belts so they can say it's been done. There are other things that need to be done during the major.
My car is maintained by a certified Ferrari mechanic. Had this 62 Sebring GTO (3387) in his care for many years. And, yeah, I rode in it on track.
Attached Images

Finesse is everything.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,196
You sold that baby: Man, that must have been a sad day. Tell us more about that beauty, like in the appropriate model area with some pics.

Would really like to hear more about that one: Wasn't it in Cavallino?

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #14 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
You sold that baby: Man, that must have been a sad day. Tell us more about that beauty, like in the appropriate model area with some pics.

Would really like to hear more about that one: Wasn't it in Cavallino?
2nd 250 GTO produced. 1962 Sebring 12 Hours 2nd, 1st GT, 1962 Le Mans 24 Hours 6th. Sold in 1997 for 4 million. Here is the car with Enzo in 1962 on track.
Attached Images

Finesse is everything.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode