1990 Ferrari 348TS What should I know? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
1990 Ferrari 348TS What should I know?

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a question about 1990 Ferrari 348 TS.

I am looking to purchase a 1990 Ferrari 348 TS and this will be the first Ferrari I will own. I went and looked at the car today and was very impressed. The car had one owner, 20K miles, and all service records. The car is going for $44K. The car is in immaculate conditions, looks like it could be on a show room floor.

The question I have is are there any issues I should be concerned about. Basically I want to know if there are any known defects or mechanical issues that are normal occurrences with this model Ferrari.

Any information that could help me would be great. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
As with all Ferrari's you need to fully examine the service records to know what exactly has been done.

All Ferrari's are supposed to look great! It's the mechanical portion that is important.

Some 348 owners should chime in here to impart their experiences, but have a knowledgeable Ferrari person examine that car for you first.

Buying a Ferrari is not like buying a Toyota for the first time. Ferrari's are very different cars that can cause you deep expenses if you purchase incorrectly.

Welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply...I will take a look at the service record and try to have a Ferrari mechanic take a look at the car as well. Thanks again.

post #4 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Owner

348's don't have the issues of some other models but knowing what you have is critical.

The clutch and tranny can be an issue and that's why you need an experienced eye.

They are great cars.

Make sure you know that there is no power steering! Only an issue when parking though.

Usually a PPI - pre purchase inspection - is done to ensure all is well.

Where are you located?

There are some members here that could direct you to a good mechanic for your area.
post #5 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, when we were talking to the seller he let me know there was no power steering on the car, but like you said only an issue when parking.

I'm located in delaware so if anyone has a good mechanic that they could refer me to that would be great.

Thanks for good info. The more info the better.
post #6 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,839
Please see the web site http://www.my348.com/348.html In the primer section you will find details of a PPI. Make sure your mechanic is well versed with the 348.

Pay specific attention to the gearbox and the Cambelts. These are the 2 achilles of the 348 mechanical systems. Look for Gearbox issue's with ring nut backing off. Real important. If the ring nut backs off to far, its gearbox time. The cambelt is critical in the 348 as the valves are interference fit. Failure of the belt or tennsioner can cause an engine scatter. Both of these potential problems are super pricey but rare.

Lots of junior problems with electronics usually caused by poor connections. If you buy, you will be dealing with each of them over time.

The 1990 model was half twin clutch plate and half single clutch plate designs. Both designs contain expensive parts so look for wear. It also used the motronic 2.5 fuel controls later switched to the 2.7 for many reasons. both are durable but the 2.7 is a bit more sophisicated.

Provided you are fairly mechanical minded and there is nothing huge going on you'll find the 348 awesome. The only task I won't take on is a Major engine out service. Beyond that, fun car to own. Its the last of the true sports cars made by Ferrari (no power steering, onboard suspension adjustment, power brakes, etc... You can actually feel the road)

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES
Keep us posted

Damn...just got back from Ocean City MD...you on the shore? I know a guy down that way with a 348. Dunno who his mechanic is but I can find out.

Lane

Previous owner of 348ts SS #64, Now Ferrariless
post #7 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Owner

Robbie, AKA 285Ferrari, is from that area and could be of help.

Send a PM to him and he will respond.
post #8 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Bastage View Post
Damn...just got back from Ocean City MD...you on the shore? I know a guy down that way with a 348. Dunno who his mechanic is but I can find out.
We are about 1.5hrs from Ocean City. If you could get me in touch with him that would be great. Thanks

Thanks for all the information!!!! I'm definitely going to check out the web site for the PPI.

Here are some pictures (they were taken with my phone so they're not the best):

post #9 of 21 Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
Robbie, AKA 285Ferrari, is from that area and could be of help.

Send a PM to him and he will respond.
Awesome. Will do. Thanks.
post #10 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgabrielli View Post
Awesome. Will do. Thanks.
Suggest you also PM Nightlife, Angelis, and P B-B. All are very helpful experienced 348 owners.
post #11 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Owner

Are you sure thats a 1990? Motronic 2.7 fuel control is installed. I didn't think they were used till 1991. Perhaps it's a 1990 birth date of a 1991 model year?

The other thing I forgot to mention is the alternator. The earlier 348's had a 90 amp Delco system which was not enough. Many owners have converted gauge lights to LED to save juice. Later changed to a 105 amp Denso unit which was much more stable and more appropriately sized for the car.

Most of the changes to the car were accomplished between '90 and '91 model years. These "changes" addressed most of the issues associated with the earlier 348's. That does not mean the early ones were any less impressive.

Lane

Last edited by Saint Bastage; 08-16-2009 at 11:47 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Owner

Great info S.B.

What's the model of the Denso replacement alternator if you know?

Always good to store that info for future reference.
post #13 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Great info S.B.
What's the model of the Denso replacement alternator if you know?
Always good to store that info for future reference.
It is NOT a direct replacement for the Delco. Wiring and brackets must be changed out. I believe the Denso unit is virtually identical to a Corolla but I have not been able to confirm it. See Daniel at Ricambi for the kit but be warned, its $$$.

Lane

post #14 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Owner

What's $? The kit or the alternator?

How much is a lot of $? If coming from Ferrari I can believe it. If from a Denso source it's not a lot of $!
post #15 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Owner

Quote:
What's $? The kit or the alternator?

How much is a lot of $? If coming from Ferrari I can believe it. If from a Denso source it's not a lot of $!
Mine has the Denso so I wasn't really paying attention during the discussion. If I recall the kit including the Alternator was near 1000. Speak with Daniel for details. I think he has 1 kit in stock that has been sitting there for quite a while due to cost. Please note that the Delco alternator is not bad, just a little undersized. You will never notice it unless you do a lot of night driving with a stereo thumping. It can be easily rebuilt for next to nothing at your local alternator/starter shop.

Lane

post #16 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Owner

I do not have a 348 but I store info for future review cause I always look at different cars and who knows what I could end up with!

All good info to know
post #17 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 30
I just purchased a 348

I looked at a few cars before making my final decision.
I had 2 cars fail a PPI, well worth the money.
The car I bought was well worth the wait.
I hopefully will have her by next week. Here is a pic
The my348.com is a great informative site. Read everything and then read it again.
You want a single clutch if possible Doubles almost cost 2 times that of a single clutch
Have the Flywheel checked for any water leakage.
Make sure you get an upgraded Alternator, I checked on one for mine thru the dealer with the upgrade kit was $4200.00. You can get this rebuilt from GT cars for $600.00 and they can up the amps to 120 or so, which will help this car tremendously.
Do a compression test, This could save you 10-14 K on repairs
If the buttons feel sticky its the solvent Ferrari used is getting soft. You can get these redone to look new at a favorable cost.stickynomore.com
Good luck
Keep us posted
Attached Images

Captglen308
post #18 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Delco Alternator

My 89 has the Delco alternator.

When it died, I had it rebuilt at my local garage using info from links on the my348 site.

They upgraded the output using HD parts. Total cost $ 500 including the full electrical system test. Not bad for a Ferrari -but they have a difficult time adding the Ferrari Tax when it is a Delco part.

Now I have a 1 yr warranty and a 130 amp alternator.

I think that you will enjoy your 348.

Greg

"The ride is the reason. The destination is just the excuse! " - Mr. Joe Katz
post #19 of 21 Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,112
Garage
Congratulations to both of you on your fine purchases.

The black 348 looks great, you will have tonnes of fun with it remember the more you drive her the better she performs. Oh and don't forget to give it an Italian tune up from time to time this really seems to work out all the bugs...

The Spider well what can I say we are now brothers my man, you now own one of the most beautiful convertibles ever built in the world enjoy.

Night life........ain't a good life........but it's my life -- Willy Nelson
post #20 of 21 Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captglen308 View Post
I looked at a few cars before making my final decision.
I had 2 cars fail a PPI, well worth the money.
The car I bought was well worth the wait.
I hopefully will have her by next week. Here is a pic
The my348.com is a great informative site. Read everything and then read it again.
You want a single clutch if possible Doubles almost cost 2 times that of a single clutch
Have the Flywheel checked for any water leakage.
Make sure you get an upgraded Alternator, I checked on one for mine thru the dealer with the upgrade kit was $4200.00. You can get this rebuilt from GT cars for $600.00 and they can up the amps to 120 or so, which will help this car tremendously.
Do a compression test, This could save you 10-14 K on repairs
If the buttons feel sticky its the solvent Ferrari used is getting soft. You can get these redone to look new at a favorable cost.stickynomore.com
Good luck
Keep us posted
Congratulations. Looks terrific.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode