I'm glad this thread has developed good discussion. It's certainly given more insight into purchasing and owing an "older" Ferrari.
At this stage of my two-year Ferrari search, it's come down to:
"not what I want to own", but rather,
"what is available to own".
Unfortunately, the used Ferrari availability in Canada is very limited. So it's either:
1. be patient and wait longer while prices go even higher, or
2. buy the best available Ferrari in my price range and hopefully be happy with it.
Here are some photos of the 365 GT4 2+2 of interest:
- 1974 365 GT4 2+2 with only 30,000 km (18,000 mi),
- one owner, originally from Germany (recently imported to Canada),
- all original, including paint,
- for sale by a dealer that specializes in 70s and 80s Ferraris,
- the dealership owner drove this car this past summer, about 1,000 km, and reported it to be in excellent shape and driving order.
Again, many thanks to everyone for your input. Please keep them coming!