Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona stored for over 25 years - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 159
Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona stored for over 25 years

from the article:
Abandoned cars are getting found more often these days, but this finding might be one of the most valued ones so far. This Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona has been stored for over 25 years in a car park underneath an apartment complex. The owner of this Daytona is Patrick Sinn, a 77 years old business man from Toronto, who bought the Ferrari back in the 1970’s. The Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona will be auctioned in March at Concours d’Elegance in Amelia Island. The estimated value of this Daytona is between £630.000 and £790000, related to the condition of the car, the complete originality and the amount of previous owner the vehicle has – which is only one.

5 pictures and full article

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2014, 06:36 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 121
More pics here...
RM Auctions Ferrari Daytona Condo-Find Ready to Disco | Petrolicious

I like the inclusion of the Disco 8-Track tape in the deck.

Cheers

Enjoy the journey so much you don't care how long it takes to get there.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2014, 04:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
I realize that "barn find" fever is at an all-time high, and that the auction houses are cashing in on the phenomena - just add dirt! Rust is the new "patina." But it boggles the mind to think of all the things that need to be done to a car that has not been started for 35 years; every seal has turned to stone, the brake system has been collecting moisture and is almost certainly rotten from the inside out, the entire fuel system is likely toast, inundated w/ gas that turned to gummy lacquer long ago, every electrical connection is oxidized and a fire hazard. I would love to know how often these barn find stories, for which the new owner has paid, in some instances, more than a restored, operational example, end in an additional 200k in tears. . . .
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 PM
PSk

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
I realize that "barn find" fever is at an all-time high, and that the auction houses are cashing in on the phenomena - just add dirt! Rust is the new "patina." But it boggles the mind to think of all the things that need to be done to a car that has not been started for 35 years; every seal has turned to stone, the brake system has been collecting moisture and is almost certainly rotten from the inside out, the entire fuel system is likely toast, inundated w/ gas that turned to gummy lacquer long ago, every electrical connection is oxidized and a fire hazard. I would love to know how often these barn find stories, for which the new owner has paid, in some instances, more than a restored, operational example, end in an additional 200k in tears. . . .
+1.

Do they ever get used though, because as soon as they are they are no longer barn finds and "special"?

Saying all that I bought a motorcycle a few years back that was very low km's for it's age, in fact it had hardly been used. It had effectively been stored for close to 10 years (not 35) and I did not experience any issues. I had to replace the tyres of course and bled the brakes, engine oil and filter change and off we went (I may have had to rebuild the rear brake caliper?) and soon I had added over 30k more km's to it. It looked far better than many younger bikes and I was able to sell it because it looked so much better than other bikes ... but by then the km's had normalised.

But that Daytona will surely need a comprehensive mechanical rebuild and retrimming.
Pete
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 02:33 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
I believe that the buyer will never never drive this car. Because if he really does, he needs to invest the amounts you said plus some....if he is really serious about driving it meaningfully. Besides, he will destroy the "barn-find" character of the car, for which he paid so dearly and way to high (if for driving intended). So for a buyer at expected Prices its kind of the prisoner dilema, you only can do wrong...........my 2 c.

Present: 365 GTB/4, Scud
Past: 250 GTE, 250 PF (2), 275 GTBsn, 330 GTC, 456GT, 550, 360Stradale, 430Scuderia, F40, F50
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2014, 03:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,232
bryanp, 212,

you tell correct things, the cars in a long storage, better tell forget, without driving will deteriorate and after years is necessary spend lot of $$ if you want drive in sure way ....
I not tell other because would be a repeating of your thinking....

Fabio

PRESENT: 575 F1 HGTC ROSSO CORSA 2004' - MB CLS 350 CGI 2007'
PAST: 550 ROSSO CORSA 1998' - MB CLK 240 2002'

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode