Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale most expensive Ferrari ever - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 159
Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale most expensive Ferrari ever

Crazy pricing.

from the article:
A super rare Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale from 1965 will be auctioned on August 16, 2014.

The Italian classic vehicle is set to be offered during the RM Auctions Monterey event, which kicks off on 15 August. Expected to fetch at least 25M EUR ($34 M), this Ferrari could become the most expensive ever sold, outshining the 275 GTB/4 NART Spider that was sold for 20M EUR ($27 M) in 2013.

9 pictures and full article

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Mark- I am not normally a 275 GTB fan, but love those 275 GTB/Cs, especially the ones with the rear fender vents.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Fabulous car with interesting history. But without racing provenance, personally I think the expected price of 25M euro is far too much (even though it is the development of the 250GTO for 1965 - it is still a 275GTB/C). But the times we live in - it just might get there. There is no doubt, however, that everyone at the moment is doing everything they can to push up prices. More evidence of the bubble. The speculation on RM website that sister car 6885 would be worth 9 figures (i.e. in excess of 100 million) is just ludicrous in my opinion. But what do I know?

1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale by Scaglietti | Monterey 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC

post #4 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 12:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Fabulous car with interesting history. But without racing provenance, personally I think the expected price of 25M euro is far too much (even though it is the development of the 250GTO for 1965 - it is still a 275GTB/C). But the times we live in - it just might get there. There is no doubt, however, that everyone at the moment is doing everything they can to push up prices. More evidence of the bubble. The speculation on RM website that sister car 6885 would be worth 9 figures (i.e. in excess of 100 million) is just ludicrous in my opinion. But what do I know?

1964 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Speciale by Scaglietti | Monterey 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

Onno
To me this is a more desirable car than the GTO Bonhams is selling. Owning a car that someone had a fatal accident in doesn't appeal to me. I don't think it will sell for more than the GTO though, but if it gets somewhere cost to the price realised for that car it will be enough to push 6885 with it's Le Mans class winning provenenance into the stratosphere value wise.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Onno- 6885, the SEFAC hot rod, is definitely the one to have. Need to buy a copy of that book. 6885 was sort of a front engine 250P/250 LM.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #7 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 02:02 PM
PSk

Ferrari Life Posts: 176
How can this comment be correct:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auction
Although its racing career was brief, 06885 quickly proved the potency of the Speciales, finishing an incredible third overall at the 1965 24 Hours of Le Mans, a record that has stood ever since as the best finish by a front-engined car.
Front engined cars have own plenty of Le Mans' overall!

While a cool car it has no racing history (historic racing does not develop racing history).

Pete
post #8 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Onno- 6885, the SEFAC hot rod, is definitely the one to have. Need to buy a copy of that book. 6885 was sort of a front engine 250P/250 LM.
Yes fantastic car. But if we look at the fantastic 250SWB SEFAC hot rod 2845GT that sold for $10.5 million only last year, then I don't understand how you can say 6885 would be worth 10 TIMES (!!!!) as much. $25 million for 6885, maybe, but not more than 4 times as high as that (and well over 100% more than any 250GTO has so far sold for). Like I said, everyone is just going nuts with numbers at the moment. Hardly anyone using their common sense anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
Yes that is quite laughable, Pete, well spotted. They must never have heard of the 250GTO, or Bentley Blower, or Jaguar D-Type, or......

Quote:
While a cool car it has no racing history (historic racing does not develop racing history).
That was also my point.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #9 of 16 Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Owner

Quote:

Pete
Interesting play on words in RM's text, but the reference is that no front engined car has had a higher overall finishing position since then. I've not been through the records of every Le Mans since but I believe that to be correct.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonafan View Post
Interesting play on words in RM's text, but the reference is that no front engined car has had a higher overall finishing position since then. I've not been through the records of every Le Mans since but I believe that to be correct.
Yes you are likely right with what was intended, but not much if a record ... the last dinosaur sort of record ...
Pete
post #11 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
I have no idea what it is worth - but it is insanely gorgeous!

Does anyone know if the color Grigio Scurro Metalizatto - is todays Grigio Ferro?
post #12 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 05:56 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 104
Looking at the market and how insane it is getting and then looking at exactly what we are valuing.... makes it even more insane.

We are throwing around $10M, $25M, $50 for what is essentially some aluminum, rubber, glass, leather and some wire! I understand the history and appreciate it, but $3-4M for a street 275, or even $2M for a Lusso is just crazy!

I love the free market!!! But I will be spectating on these. I have a feeling that when the bubble does burst, the fall will be equally as spectacular to watch.

Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS
post #13 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingenere View Post
Looking at the market and how insane it is getting and then looking at exactly what we are valuing.... makes it even more insane.

We are throwing around $10M, $25M, $50 for what is essentially some aluminum, rubber, glass, leather and some wire! I understand the history and appreciate it, but $3-4M for a street 275, or even $2M for a Lusso is just crazy!

I love the free market!!! But I will be spectating on these. I have a feeling that when the bubble does burst, the fall will be equally as spectacular to watch.
You could say that about a stamp oil painting etc.

The values aren't going anywhere but north - investment grade cars especially a Ferrari is the best bet going and I have been saying this since the first Dino hit 400.

Wouldn't be surprised to see GTO's hit 9 figures.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM
PSk

I agree with Ingenere that we are surely looking at a big bubble burst. These things are always cyclic and I'm sorry but this car is cool and all but way over valued IMO. It has no racing history, has been modified and repainted many times.

Yes the one that raced at Le Mans is one very special car, but this isn't it and you can see in the sales brochures they over play this connection because this car has nothing in comparison. In fact I am sure there are other less special 275 GTB's that have had much more collectible history and definitely 250 SWB's.

I do not see this car getting anywhere near 250 GTO value.

There is no way historic cars can keep increasing in value. They are now being used as purely investment stock and with every investment there is a limit.

If I am wrong and they are not being used as investments and there are car enthusiasts fighting over a few cars then surely that indicates that the new car market in particular has something considerable lacking that has lost these wealthy peoples interest completely. Personally I think a complete restart of the World Sportscar Championship is required with all cars having to be 100% road cars. This would return new road cars to being relevant to building a marques competition history.

Yes the GTO, etc. (other than this car) were built as race cars first but we have progressed so far that I don't think we need classes like LMP1, etc.
Pete
post #15 of 16 Old 07-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne612 View Post
You could say that about a stamp oil painting etc.

The values aren't going anywhere but north - investment grade cars especially a Ferrari is the best bet going and I have been saying this since the first Dino hit 400.

Wouldn't be surprised to see GTO's hit 9 figures.
.... And I do say those things!!

I have been involved in a few of these deals and for the most part the enthusiasts have been priced out of the picture. The buyers are investment groups, which is kind of sad as the people who should really have these cars can't any longer.

Ciao

Dino
TR, F40, Mondialt cab, 308QV, 348 Challenge, CS
post #16 of 16 Old 07-26-2014, 03:35 AM
Owner

Quote:
I agree with Ingenere that we are surely looking at a big bubble burst. These things are always cyclic and I'm sorry but this car is cool and all but way over valued IMO. It has no racing history, has been modified and repainted many times.

Yes the one that raced at Le Mans is one very special car, but this isn't it and you can see in the sales brochures they over play this connection because this car has nothing in comparison. In fact I am sure there are other less special 275 GTB's that have had much more collectible history and definitely 250 SWB's.

I do not see this car getting anywhere near 250 GTO value.

There is no way historic cars can keep increasing in value. They are now being used as purely investment stock and with every investment there is a limit.

If I am wrong and they are not being used as investments and there are car enthusiasts fighting over a few cars then surely that indicates that the new car market in particular has something considerable lacking that has lost these wealthy peoples interest completely. Personally I think a complete restart of the World Sportscar Championship is required with all cars having to be 100% road cars. This would return new road cars to being relevant to building a marques competition history.

Yes the GTO, etc. (other than this car) were built as race cars first but we have progressed so far that I don't think we need classes like LMP1, etc.
Pete

Worth reading Marcel's comments on F Chat. Awful lot of private transactions going on too. I agree with him that a correction is due but not necessarily a full bubble burst. I don't think we will see 60k Daytonas and 200k 275s any time soon, but I think Daytonas at 2-300k (about the same as a new F12) and 275s at double that seems about right to me.

Last edited by Daytonafan; 07-26-2014 at 03:45 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode