On the ex-Sonny Bono 250LM Sunset strip cruiser - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-25-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
On the ex-Sonny Bono 250LM Sunset strip cruiser

Apparently now a well celebrated vintage racer but one kicked around Hollywood for rock stars to play with. I think there were at least six 250LMs around Los Angeles in the early '60s but I only have a question about this one to fill in a gap in its history. Here's what I do know:

Ownership passed from the factory to Bob Grossman around September 1964. He had the car repainted in silver metallic with blue, white, and red stripes. It was campaigned throughout the rest of the 1964 season at Bridgehampton(his home track), the Canadian Grand Prix at Mosport, the Tourist Trophy at Nassau, the Nassau GT Race, and the Nassau Trophy. The best finish for Grossman and the car in 1964 was at Bridgehampton where he and his co-driver scored a third place finish.

Ownership passed to William M. Sheaffer of PA in 1965. He had the car repainted in a gold-metallic. Ownership later passed to Bob Cooper, Edwin Niles, and Sonny Bono. Bono acquired the car in 1967 and kept it for a short time before selling it to Don McLaughlin in 1968.

STill only a beat up race car and not yet a million dollar car, it passed through several more owners before becoming the possession of Frederick Knoop in 1974. It was shown at the 1975 Pebble Beach Concours where it was awarded a first place.

It was sold to Bob Epstein in 1977 who then had it entered in the Monterey Historic Races at Laguna Seca wearing number 220.
So my questin is: does anybody remember seeing an ad for the car or hearing what is was sold for to any of the owners below? Even one price is further ahead than I am now in my research.

Sheaffer
Cooper
Niles
Bono
McLaughlin
Knoop

I'm only interested in the prices back when it was still a kicked around old race car, not the object d'art it is today. I live in the past....not the present, thanks guys

NB I once saw Cher driving a white Daytona spyder so I guess this Ferrari stuff rubbed off on her ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Wally,

Ed Niles was the seller to and bought it back from Sono Bono. Kerry Payne was the conduit to Bob Epstein; could have been a brief owner.

Do know the price Epstein paid and saw the final Griswold restoration bill.

And Cher did own a 246 Dino in turquoise. It was at the Hollywood Sport Cars shop on Gower sometimes.

Jeff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode