On Coco Chinetti's ex-Bob Peak custom 250P - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-13-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
On Coco Chinetti's ex-Bob Peak custom 250P

I have been trying to track the history of his silver gull winged coupe that once graced the cover of Car & Driver.
Apparently it had a real LeMans racing history.
It ran in various races with three different engine sizes in one race or another.
It had the Bob Peak designed Michelotti built gulling body when it was shown at the New York Auto Show. But what I am trying to find out is , when it was shown, was it there just to show the capability of the Chinetti-Peak design team and take orders for other custom Ferraris, or was the silver gulling version SN0812--actually for sale? I have seen the brochure on ebay but it only sells the capabilities of this new design team and doesn't have a price for the car.
I guess later on the body was removed (does it still exist) and the car sent to Italy with two others for restoration to original style bodywork. That's when Ferrari SpA confiscated all three , alleging they were fakes, and Coco fought them in court and won and Ferrari had to give them back.
I'd also like to hear any opinions on what the car is worth today (I am saying $4 million) and if it would be worth more or less with the silver gulling body re-installed, presuming it is still existent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitzman View Post
I have been trying to track the history of his silver gull winged coupe that once graced the cover of Car & Driver.
Apparently it had a real LeMans racing history.
It ran in various races with three different engine sizes in one race or another.
It had the Bob Peak designed Michelotti built gulling body when it was shown at the New York Auto Show. But what I am trying to find out is , when it was shown, was it there just to show the capability of the Chinetti-Peak design team and take orders for other custom Ferraris, or was the silver gulling version SN0812--actually for sale? I have seen the brochure on ebay but it only sells the capabilities of this new design team and doesn't have a price for the car.
I guess later on the body was removed (does it still exist) and the car sent to Italy with two others for restoration to original style bodywork. That's when Ferrari SpA confiscated all three , alleging they were fakes, and Coco fought them in court and won and Ferrari had to give them back.
I'd also like to hear any opinions on what the car is worth today (I am saying $4 million) and if it would be worth more or less with the silver gulling body re-installed, presuming it is still existent.

Wally, yes it as a nasty lawsuit between Lou and SpA.

Even with a recreated body it is more valuable than with the Bob Peak body. My estimation is that the value would be no less than $14 mil and likely over $20. As the 250P it was a very race significant.

When the car was rebodied by Lou and Peak realize it was just an old worn out and uncompetitive race car. Chinetti was able to recycle some value and interest into something that was otherwise generally useless.

Jeff
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
I since saw a book on Bob Peak by his son in the library at Art Center College .In the book are two pictures of Fords designed by Bob Peak, one some sort of tiny economy car, the other maybe a Mustang. I was wondering if Ford commissioned these, or if Peak did them on spec; or if anyone at Ford design remembers how Peak was regarded; as a dilettante dabbling in car design or as a valuable new source? At any rate, he seems to have gone back to illustration for fashion and movie posters and never looked back at his car design endeavors.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode