On the Giovanni Agnelli 400SA pininfarina silver car - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 02-13-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
On the Giovanni Agnelli 400SA pininfarina silver car

I am reading up on some unusual cars and have questions about some cars. This is the car , the first 400SA, with the non-horizontal grille, big sunroof, silver, it may have stainless steel cladding on the side of the car below a rib running from wheel well to wheel well.
I got the misimpression that it had been smashed into a tree by Bill Harrah when I saw it in the SF valley decades ago.
But recently I looked it up in an auction description and saw that it had been sold to Harrahs with the front end damage. I think it was actually donated free to Harrahs because then the donater could write it off his taxes and Harrahs was a legit museum.
I thought I saw it years later in a shop in the valley that made aircraft parts but was doing Ferrari restoration on the side. In the end it ended up being restored by Blackhawk in LA and Norbert Hofer in Long Beach. I was wondering if anyone remembers when this car was being offered for a bargain price, I figure it had to be either when Harrahs sold it unrepaired or the owner after him.

Any clues--such as citing an ad in Road & Track or Autoweek from way back when will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Was this not the one that was painted green and was seen in good running but poor cosmetic condition at pebble (could have been another concours, can't remember which) a few years ago, before being "restored"? . . . I didn't realise that it had been damaged, as I was told that the flaky paint was original
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Orwell View Post
Was this not the one that was painted green and was seen in good running but poor cosmetic condition at pebble (could have been another concours, can't remember which) a few years ago, before being "restored"? . . . I didn't realise that it had been damaged, as I was told that the flaky paint was original
I think you're thinking of Agnelli's earlier 375?

post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
I am confused but as far as the paint flaking car

...that was a deep green, almost turquoise when it was owned by two college professors in Orange, CA, Betz and Peters. They bought it as a repainted car but it had come from the factory painted dark bottle fly green with a red roof and red interior and, worse, red grille fluting, vertical, not eggcrate grille. My confusion stems from another Agnelli Ferrari a 375MM that was and is now silver, with it seems like stainless steel below the waistline running from one wwheelwell on each side to the forward wheelwell. Now I have been told Bob Butler of the SF valley, aircraft parts his main business but Ferrari restoration a side biz, restored the car. I had been told Harrah had crashed it and Butler bought it crashed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode