Looking for a professional restorer to a 250 GTE - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Looking for a professional restorer to a 250 GTE

Hello everybody,

I would like to buy a 250 GTE project car and restore it concours condtion.

Please advice me a professional restorer in Europe who can do the job.

Will it be a costly and complicated restoration?

Thank you in advance the helps!

Patrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Patrick, welcome to FL.

Sounds like a fun thing to do. Try contacting Tom Yang over at the Tomyang,net site because they are into the 250 era cars and I am sure they can guide you.

Good luck with the endeavor and do keep us informed too.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Patrik- Welcome to Ferrari Life. Just be aware that restoring a 250 GTE costs about the same as restoring a 250 GT SWB or Lusso, but at the end will not be worth quite as much. Having a GTE professionally restored could put you underwater.

If you have that kind of money, consider finding one somebody else has already restored.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Patrick, if you have the passion and one of your purpose is to enjoy the whole process, then I am all for it. Otherwise, like Terry stated, I would think this over seriously both from emotional and financial concerns. Missing parts would be hard to come by and also costly.

Let us know how you feel.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #5 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 13
Patrick - If you want a restorer to do all the work and hand you a finished product, it will be extremely expensive. If you want to get involved, source some of the product yourself and make some of the decisions on how deep to restore each part, it will be very expensive. If you can source all or most of the parts, do a lot of the work yourself and be involved in all decisions, it will be expensive.

Combine this with what you paid (or will pay) and then make your decision. However, add into the equation that if you get involved, it will be a lot of fun. You will meet a lot of great people and will learn a lot. I am in the middle (?) of the restoration of 4247 GT and even though it has to proceed at the pace my wallet will allow, it is worth every dime. And remember, the GTE market is very volatile. The price it can sell for today will not be the price when you complete the job. Can't tell you if it will be higher or lower, but it will not be the same.

Talk to the experienced guys here or on Tom Yang's site and your will get the information you need to make your decision.

Tom Wilson
Series III 250 GTE sn 4247
Ferrari250GTE.com & The GTE Register
post #6 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Having been in the restoration business no car exists that makes financial sense to restore. The vast majority of cars will cost a great deal more to restore than they are worth and even a best case basis makes no financial sense.

If there was such a thing as a 250 GTO on the market needing restoration it would sell for GTO market price minus well known restoration costs. Then you would have a large sum tied up for 2 years and be deprived of it's use during restoration.

Restorations are and will always be a labor of love to get the satisfaction of bringing a car back from the dead to its prime. To some that is a priceless experience.

My guess on a GTE would start at $200,000 US for a complete running car already in reasonable condition with little rust. But the sky is the limit for less than perfect candidates. Choose a candidate well.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-01-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thank you very much guys, I will contact Tom Yang and then choose the right 250 GTE. In my opinion they are a bit underpriced at the moment. I will keep you informed after being a GTE owner. I hope it will be soon.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode