Fuel system in 1967 330GT 2+2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Fuel system in 1967 330GT 2+2

I am assisting a friend with resurrecting his exotic car collection after many years of inactive storage. One of the cars is a single headlight series 2 1967 330GT 2+2. We have gotten the car "almost" to the point of starting but the fuel supply system is not functional. The fuel system has not been screwed with or other-wise modified. It still has the original mechanical pump up front on the engine and the original electric clicker pump under the back of the car near the fuel tank. In fact except for one spot under the hood leading to the back of the fuel rail, the whole system still has the original yellow and black fuel hoses.

We removed and cleaned the electric pump (cleaned the accumulated grease, oil, and dirt off the outside and lightly sanded the surface of the electrical points). This operation got the electric pump to function (runs with a steady clicking now) but it does not pump fuel. I have had Ferrari parts places tell me that parts for this original electric fuel pump are pretty much non-existent.

I have read a lot about the various problems with these old pumps vis-a-vis the modern ethanol fuel we are getting here in the US now. I am wondering what others have done to get their mid-sixties Ferraris with the similar fuel system to a reliable condition.

Another of the cars in his collection is a series 1.5 four headlight 330 GT 2+2 with the five speed transmission. This car had a heavily modified fuel system where the mechanical pump had been completely bypassed, and the original points style electric fuel pump had been replaced by a set of twin old style Bendix fuel pumps. To do this they had cut up the steel fuel lines with the banjo connections coming off of the fuel filter canister in the back of the car to connect up the twin Bendix with rubber hoses and hose clamps. This modified fuel system in the four headlight car was also not reliable in the condition we found it. Plus the mounting of the twin Bendix fuel pumps was less than ideal as they had them hung very low under the car where they were VERY close to the top of the one muffler ahead of the rear axle. I ended up replacing the twin Bendix fuel pumps with a modern Carter fuel pump tucked further up under the car away from the muffler and installed a return style fuel pressure regulator. This made the car very reliable to drive.

In looking at the original but non-functional fuel system in the single headlight series 2 car I am somewhat reluctant to cut up the steel lines in the back of the car to fit a single modern fuel pump but with the hard steel lines running the the electric pump with banjo fittings I know it would be very difficult to fit a modern fuel pump without vastly altering those hard steel lines with the banjo style connections.

I am looking for suggestions on how to make the fuel system of the single headlight series 2 car be as reliable as the much modified fuel system of the four headlight series 1.5 car.

Last edited by StevenD; 09-07-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Steven, welcome to FL.

For these 330s, I suggest you take a look at TomYang.net site where they are avid owners with vast knowledge and experience. Good luck.

w/ smiles

Jimmy
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 327
feul pickup point / feul delivery

Hello,These 330 pick up the feul 2 ways,1 good 1 bad.The good ones pick up the feul at the pipe that connects the two tanks.Remove the spare tire and you can see the pipe and it has either a banjo and yellow line or a brass plug.If it has the brass plug the pick up for the feul is from the top of the drivers side tank.Thats bad.Put the plug in the top of the tank and the banjo on the bottom of the tank connecting pipe.cheers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode