365 GT 2+2 Opinions Please - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
365 GT 2+2 Opinions Please

Is this a good honest car or a major potential money pit?

1969 Ferrari 365 GT2+2-Left hand drive ASC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 03:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Yes Boxer, it is!

I think it's a perfect candidate for a driver. With just some elbow grease and TLC, it looks like it would shine and be a fun vintage driver that you wouldn't have to worry about. For a restore, I'd worry as it sounds like there's been quite a bit of rust repaired. So who know what lurks below? A restore could be VERY expensive.

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Looks pretty nice from the pics. I am wondering about the oil residue near the filler on the right cam bank. Also hard to tell what kind of shape the hoses are in. David makes a good point about rust repairs. The engines in these things are fairly bulletproof though.

Lashss on here had a 365 2+2 for a while. Maybe he'll chime in.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....

post #4 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
It looks nice from the pictures. It seems to be priced at about GBP20,000 under what I understand asking prices for this tipo to be in the UK. The fact that it is lhd should attract a higher asking price than a lower price given the higher prices asked on the Continent for lhd compared to rhd tipos in general. Thus my biggest concern would be why a well known dealer who knows the market well would be asking such a good price. I see also that they are still advertising the 365 GTC/4s for sale that they have been trying to sell for ages. Perhaps the latter fact is the reason for the very good asking price for the 365 gt 2+2? Worth investigating as a low price per se does not make the car a bad one.

Took the wheel of Dad's 365gt 2+2 when I was 18. Loved it!

David

Current: 365BB, 550 bluebird and a few 911's
Past: 246gt, 512BB, 308 GTB "Michalone" and a few 911's
post #5 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

The price was what initially caught my eye and Mike Wheeler is one of the better dealers around. Tempting and I would very much like to own a 365 GT 2+2 some day but not in a position to take on a vintage Ferrari right now.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer58 View Post
I think it's a perfect candidate for a driver. With just some elbow grease and TLC, it looks like it would shine and be a fun vintage driver that you wouldn't have to worry about.
David, that sentence just doesn't rhyme with my experience of vintage F's. These cars are a nightmare unless they are in very good mechanical condition. Because it takes a lot of money and lots of experience to keep them running well, I have never seen a "fun vintage driver that you wouldn't have to worry about". All I have seen is dogs or beauties. They are probably out there, but will be very, very rare. In almost all cases, buying a "driver" actually means buying a "stander".

For me, there are only two routes when you buy a vintage F: you buy to restore, or you buy to have the least amount of work needed.

If you buy a vintage F, be prepared to spend money even if you buy the best you can find. My "perfect" 330GTC still required some $35k over the past 3 years of my ownership to get it right, and that is without any cosmetic spending. Upside: she has not needed any expense in the past 4k miles and seems to have settled down very nicely now.

Of course, YMMV, but I have yet to meet a vintage F owner that contradicts my experience.

Having said all that, they are very very rewarding once you have them right. Mine starts every time without grumping, and runs like a dream.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Future: No idea
Present: 458 Italia, 550 Maranello
Past: 365BB x 2,
330GTC
post #7 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,197
Boxer, another LHD, '69 365 2+2 just popped up on eBay in the US:

Ferrari : Other Pininfarina in Ferrari | eBay Motors

'99 550, Rosso Corsa / Nero, S/N:114654, Assy: 31836, Engine: 52084

High mileage, low compression, and missing on a few cylinders.....just like my cars.

Maranello Skunkworks Team Member
post #8 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 562
Boxer, Talacrest had 2 RHD 365 for sale last month but they are 2 seaters... one of them in great condition. I am not sure if John has sold both or not.

Gus

Quit work - Get some stuff - Go somewhere - Have some fun
post #9 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 AM
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbj View Post
Boxer, another LHD, '69 365 2+2 just popped up on eBay in the US:

Ferrari : Other Pininfarina in Ferrari | eBay Motors
Too bad 11705 is now red.
It was born Blu Ribot 2.443.631 with Beige VM 3218 Connolly.

Marcel Massini
post #10 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanderu View Post
Boxer, Talacrest had 2 RHD 365 for sale last month but they are 2 seaters... one of them in great condition. I am not sure if John has sold both or not.
Tempting but I am trying to stay with the plan for once. Short term have something already in view which will be perfect for the next FLED, longer term it is the 275 GTS.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel Massini View Post
Too bad 11705 is now red.
It was born Blu Ribot 2.443.631 with Beige VM 3218 Connolly.

Marcel Massini

Guessing the value of the car in now 'damaged'. The blue/beige would be so much nicer than [sorry] typical Red/Tan. The older cars do so much look better in anything but red to me.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #12 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
David, that sentence just doesn't rhyme with my experience of vintage F's. These cars are a nightmare unless they are in very good mechanical condition. Because it takes a lot of money and lots of experience to keep them running well, I have never seen a "fun vintage driver that you wouldn't have to worry about".
Onno
Onno,

I should have been more specific. When I used the term "worry", I was really referring to a car that did not have to be down for a long restoration and then treated like a concours trailer queen. I should have explained that better.

I agree with your comments though, 100%. I have joked that I wouldn't drive my TR4A any farther than I'd want to push it!

I think we've probably all learned first-hand about the saying "buy the best you can afford."

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Vintage Ferrari 2+2s suffer much more than any of their two-seater brethren from deferred maintenance. I look at the engine bay pic of the silver car and see the correct yellow fuel hoses that are so old that they are likely original, and therefore are probably disintegrated from the inside-out.

Only a glutton for punishment would buy this car without an extremely thorough PPI. Suppose the real levelers are still original? If so, they'll likely fail within the first 500 miles of use.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode