330 2+2 or 365 2+2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
ray

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
330 2+2 or 365 2+2

i know i know - this subject has been discussed here at great length - i have spent a week looking at this forum and looking at 2 cars (3 actually but hold on a sec)

there is a pretty car at fantasy junction right now - a pretty car at gullwing motors in astoria (the black 2+2) and a jaw dropping 330gtc at canepa -

anyone familiar with these cars? i ask because the thing that has unnerved me in the process of wrapping my head around getting rid of a 2010 gt3 for something i think i will enjoy more is that I never really thought about finding myself with a car that had been stored for too long and was going to begin an accelerated disintegration once I started driving it 3 or 5 times a week to my office. I want a really good driver (and its ok if its been over-restored im still gonna drive it). I understand there have been neg. posts w/ regards to Canepa I have no way to determine if that black gtc is as good as it appears (i guess its 375kso it doesnt matter anyway) and so I find myself wanting a 2+2 because I can get my head around driving 120k daily more than a car that costs twice as much or more .....so trying to come up with a plan that shakes loose a really good driver in the 100-150k range - im in ct. fwiw

frankly the 68 365 at fantasyjunction looks nice relative to the black 330 2+2 in Astoria ....im just being honest when i tell you i looked at it for 3 days b4 realizing it wasn't a 330 ...I'm not an enthusiast - just usually have a sports car and pining after my fiat 124 spider but can perhaps afford the 12 cyl noise these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Suggest you contact bryanp as he has a lot of experience with these.

Ferrari Life - View Profile: bryanp

also have you read the buyers guides:

Ferrari Buyer's Guides - Ferrari Life
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Ray- Welcome to Ferrari Life. The 330 GT 2+2 was the last of Ferrari's front engine, rear drive, live rear axle cars. The 365 GT 2+2 introduced self leveling IRS to the 2+2s and, by all accounts, has a superb SOHC engine with lots of hp and torque. The two cars are very different and you should drive both if trying to make a decision between the two.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
ray

certainly have read the guides...am interested in specific vehicles that members feel might represent good values in a v good driver in the 100 - 150k range
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Hi ray - and welcome to f-life. I have driven several excellently maintained examples of both the 330GT and the 365GT2+2. I love both, but they are different cars.

The queen mother is not a sports car. It is the ultimate 1960s grand touring car; it can go all day long at 120-130mph on the autostrada. Once you get accustomed to its size (I believe it is still the longest Ferrari ever made - 3" longer than the 612 Scaglietti), and if you're driving one that has fresh suspension rubber, you can actually push this car thru high-speed sweepers and induce drift that is easily corrected. Even though the steering is power, it gives a lot of feedback and is not vague (so don't buy one that has an oozing power steering pump or clapped out tie-rod ends). You can travel in style, very comfortably, with three friends and a boatload of luggage in the trunk (or some dead Italians in the trunk, depending on your line of work).

The 330 has the feeling of a much smaller car, even though it is a 2+2. It actually feels like a sports car and can be treated that way. It's motor is a sweet, revvable unit. One noticeable difference between the two cars is how much more torque the queen mother appears to have over the 330. You'll see the phrase "pulls like a freight train" used often in QM sales ads; it's completely true (unless its a tired motor). True the 365 motor has to pull more weight, but it does so and then some; it's power band is big, and it will give you that "push your cheeks back" feeling over a lot of the rev range.

You'll notice my theme of buying a good, well-maintained car. So many of the QMs and 330GTs have gotten a bad rap over the years simply because a reviewer drove one w/ a tired motor and/or reamed out suspension. Buy the best car you can and insist on a PPI. Because these great old 2+2s were at the bottom of the so-called "market desirability" heap for so long, there are a lot of cars out there with massive deferred maintenance issues. On the other hand, they are pretty easy to work on.

I don't keep a close eye on that particular market anymore, but I would think that anything over about 125k would get you a very nice 330GT or 365GT2+2.

I have also pm'd you about one of the sellers you mention.

My old one; 11199:
Attached Images

Last edited by bryanp; 06-12-2012 at 06:40 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Very nice and interesting comment for all of us. Thanks Brian. BTW is (was) this you car with that faboulous red interior ?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
ray

thanks vm all - have a couple on the docket to look at - though there isn' one that i am really excited to see yet...more like a maybe this'll do for now feeling.

any chance the car above is available? I had to ask....anyway am leaning to the 365 if anyone knows of a special car i am amenable...
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Very nice and interesting comment for all of us. Thanks Brian. BTW is (was) this you car with that faboulous red interior ?
Yes, that one was mine - I'm actually in the last pic; red hat. S/n 11199 was the 26th QM of the 801Ferrari made between late 1967 and 1971. The build date was Jan 5, 1968. Like a lot of these cars, it was made for the Italian market - first owner was Count Ossi of Bologna - and then made it to the US around 1972.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
thanks vm all - have a couple on the docket to look at - though there isn' one that i am really excited to see yet...more like a maybe this'll do for now feeling.

any chance the car above is available? I had to ask....anyway am leaning to the 365 if anyone knows of a special car i am amenable...
There are quite a few for sale in Europe if you are willing to import.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode