"D"'s alternator down - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
"D"'s alternator down

What luck...after driving Fled for such a long distance this morning when starting "D" to get gazoline one bench of 6 cylinders did not work....soon found out it is a failed Magnetti Marelli alternator. A quick call to Eurospares but none available. Will search further but my question first: Are there better solutions alternator wise which you would recommend ?

As always many thanks for inputs !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,201
Sorry to hear Rolf, but very glad you made it back home from FLED before this happened!
Good luck in your repair

Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today's a gift.....enjoy every minute!

Current: California 30 Handling Speciale.
Past: FF, 458 Speciale, California 30, 599HGTE, Scuderia Spider 16M, California, F430 Spider
post #3 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Sorry guys, my information was wrong...its not the alternator..its the magnetic coil, one of the 2 Magnetti Marelli coils. Sorry for it. Any thoughts on that ?

P.S. Bad thing I have to use the "F" now more often

post #4 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Sorry guys, my information was wrong...its not the alternator..its the magnetic coil, one of the 2 Magnetti Marelli coils. Sorry for it. Any thoughts on that ?

P.S. Bad thing I have to use the "F" now more often
I don't think not using it that much would contribute that much to coil life. Just in my experience I have gotten 50 year old cars running fine with near original coils. They are tricky and sometimes just go bad. Sometimes heat is the culprit and I find I have killed coils faster and most often on my high powered turbo cars that generate LOTS of under hood heat. Hopefully you find a replacement. Are you dead set on keeping it stock or are you ok with putting aftermarket performance coil on there?

Jay
post #5 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- Are you running the standard Dinoplexes?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- Are you running the standard Dinoplexes?
The type I run are the original Magnetti Marelli BZR-201A.
Today morning, the car electrician will come and check and put a provisory coil in the car to check all else. Then it will be decided. Bosch coils have been mentioned as a alternative. Checked all day yesterday for any older Magnetti version, none available so far.
These coils are not very much visible, therefore a working alternative would be fine too, I guess !?
post #7 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Well to finish the thread, the Car electrician came today and found out that the coil was working well....!!? and the reason for the problem was a broken little spring in the distributor. He fixed it provisory and the engined runned well. He will order a new spring and all should be fine. Therefore no alterations to "originality" coil wise.
Thank you for all input.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 03:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Quote:
Well to finish the thread, the Car electrician came today and found out that the coil was working well....!!? and the reason for the problem was a broken little spring in the distributor. He fixed it provisory and the engined runned well. He will order a new spring and all should be fine. Therefore no alterations to "originality" coil wise.
Thank you for all input.
Rolf,...see what happens when you drive a forty year old "lady" that hard for thousands of miles and you get a broken spring ??? Well well, what more can you say ? More driving, of course !!!

w/ smiles
Jimmy
post #9 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Rolf,...see what happens when you drive a forty year old "lady" that hard for thousands of miles and you get a broken spring ??? Well well, what more can you say ? More driving, of course !!!

w/ smiles
Jimmy
How right you are, Jimmy....thanks !
post #10 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Owner
Elite Member

212- I assume it was one of the advance springs for the distributor and that would indeed cause some problems. Once the timing was advanced at high rpm, it would stay that way. Not too conducive for smooth low rpm running. Sounds like whoever showed up was more than just an automotive electrician. Luckily, the distributors on a Daytona can be pulled in about 30 seconds.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
212- I assume it was one of the advance springs for the distributor and that would indeed cause some problems. Once the timing was advanced at high rpm, it would stay that way. Not too conducive for smooth low rpm running. Sounds like whoever showed up was more than just an automotive electrician. Luckily, the distributors on a Daytona can be pulled in about 30 seconds.
Terry, the guy owns his business since 40 years and is about 68 now. First he quickly checked the coil and found it was working (opposite to previous statements by my mechanic). He went then from front to back, starting at the plugs going to the cables, to the distributor and then into it. He will replace the spring but once that part is here, he'll go into checking the whole electricity on both sides of the cylinder benches inclusing both distributors in detail. The car has been driven so long and often it may just need some replacement of small distributor parts after almost 40'000km's in the last 3 years.

Also I open today the air filter to see if thatone was still clean....what a mess I found. Hundreds of insects, lots of dust and even sand (south Italy last year and Scottish coast this yearI guess). Took the whole metal base of the air filter apart and cleaned it as well as the filter with high pressure air. Once the air filter was away, I cleaned all spark plug cables from dirt, cleaned the cylinder head and carbs from the outside and used some rubber cleaner for all rubber cables and the rubber tube from the air cleaner. After that I "creamed" a rubber engine stuff with some "rubber oil". Will let all dry out overnight. Engine bay looks like new again (partially at least)
post #12 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Owner
Elite Member

212- If one of the capacitor discharge units ever gives you a problem, there is a company making a replacement that fits inside the original pot metal/aluminum case. The points on the dual distributor V12s have been so reliable with only three cam lobes that I would not change them, but eventually a pair of modern capacitor discharge units may become necessary.

They were already missing on my Daytona when I got her, but she ran fine on just points and coil. Later, when I had a Fiat Dino 2400 GT in the UK, I put an MSD unit on her to replace the missing Dinoplex. I could not believe how much smoother and more powerful the engine was after that. Should have done it on the Daytona, too, but never got around to it before she was gone.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #13 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
212- If one of the capacitor discharge units ever gives you a problem, there is a company making a replacement that fits inside the original pot metal/aluminum case. The points on the dual distributor V12s have been so reliable with only three cam lobes that I would not change them, but eventually a pair of modern capacitor discharge units may become necessary.

They were already missing on my Daytona when I got her, but she ran fine on just points and coil. Later, when I had a Fiat Dino 2400 GT in the UK, I put an MSD unit on her to replace the missing Dinoplex. I could not believe how much smoother and more powerful the engine was after that. Should have done it on the Daytona, too, but never got around to it before she was gone.
Many thanks for the hint, Peter. Will approach the electrician with the input.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
after almost 40'000km's in the last 3 years.
:
This has to be a record for a Daytona in this century.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
This has to be a record for a Daytona in this century.
I don't think so....but I will work on it...
post #16 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Well after finding out that the cause of a problem was not the magnetic coil, but instead a broken distributor spring, some people still searched for a magnetic coil replacement and found a pair of original ones (per 1 piece for the price of around USD 800 roughly). Would you guys consider to buy such a thing for possible future breakdowns or would you rate it way to expensive for a replacement and choose a modern replacement which (I guess) would be about the same look but modern ?! Thoughts welcome !
post #17 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Owner
Elite Member

212- You should check with Brian, but I would think Concourse judges would not be checking whether the coil was original. There have to be better coils out there that are the same size. Or buy them and just use them for concourses with more powerful ones for daily use. Five minute job to change. No concourses, no problem, you do not need them.

Taz
Terry Phillips

post #18 of 24 Old 05-22-2012, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
212- You should check with Brian, but I would think Concourse judges would not be checking whether the coil was original. There have to be better coils out there that are the same size. Or buy them and just use them for concourses with more powerful ones for daily use. Five minute job to change. No concourses, no problem, you do not need them.
Thanks Terry, a concourse participation was never ever on my mind.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 229
Having seen D up close I can confirm that it is nevertheless in "concours" condition. By the way, what was the outcome on the carburettor adjustment problem under full throttle accelerations. Was it the accelerator pumps or the jets?
Nigel

'97 Rosso Corsa 550 Maranello
post #20 of 24 Old 05-24-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelV12 View Post
Having seen D up close I can confirm that it is nevertheless in "concours" condition. By the way, what was the outcome on the carburettor adjustment problem under full throttle accelerations. Was it the accelerator pumps or the jets?
Nigel
Nigel, thanks for asking. We will find that out after the broken distributor spring is here and has been applied. Only then will we be able to start with the carb adjustment.....will follow up asap.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode