How and when to approach "D"s A/C Compressor restoration? - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
How and when to approach "D"s A/C Compressor restoration?

Last fall, the A/C compressor on "D" suddenly lost its pressure. I was thinking that its only a matter of a small "O-Ring" replacement from the tubes and it did not matter for me as I seldom use the climat compressior when driving. However to keep everything in good order I approached the mechanics with the problem. So today, they put pressure on the whole system. Result: They called me today with the message that they need to take the compressor out and revise it (replacing the gaskets etc.), which after all will take maybe 2-3 weeks out.

My question: As Fled 6 is slowly approaching I tend to let that work be done after Fled 6, just in case anything (small gasket) may prove to be unobtainable. However, could I drive without the A/C or is there a danger that the coresponding tubes to the A/C could not been "closed" properly and there is some danger of oxydation while driving thru probably cold weather Scotland ?

Maybe this question is silly, but anyway how would you approach the problem/schedule ?

Thanks for any reply !
212Export is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
212- Running with the A/C off will not hurt anything. After they overhaul the compressor, it would be smart to install a new receiver/dryer/filter and the compressor will need to be refilled with oil, the system evacuated to vacuum, and new/filtered freon charged.

You will not cause any further harm running with her off. The electric clutch for the compressor will just not be engaged. After the overhaul and recharge, any other problems will be pretty much eliminated as long as the evaporator is in good shape.

Do you want to think about upgrading the system, or would you rather leave her stock? One of my friends upgraded his 330 GTC because he lives in Florida, and it works much, much better now. In Switzerland that may be overkill unless you frequently take her to Spain or Italy.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #3 of 30 Old 03-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I would wait and do it post Fled.
Boxer is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
212- Running with the A/C off will not hurt anything. After they overhaul the compressor, it would be smart to install a new receiver/dryer/filter and the compressor will need to be refilled with oil, the system evacuated to vacuum, and new/filtered freon charged.

You will not cause any further harm running with her off. The electric clutch for the compressor will just not be engaged. After the overhaul and recharge, any other problems will be pretty much eliminated as long as the evaporator is in good shape.

Do you want to think about upgrading the system, or would you rather leave her stock? One of my friends upgraded his 330 GTC because he lives in Florida, and it works much, much better now. In Switzerland that may be overkill unless you frequently take her to Spain or Italy.
Thank you very much. As always great insight for me regarding your comments. The hot season in Switzerland is form June to August and even then rarely like in Italy or Spain. Therefore all indications are given to leave the system totally original. Except for the cooling fluids, which, by law, needs to be the "athmosphere-unharming" one.
212Export is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I would wait and do it post Fled.
I came to the same conclusion. Its safer.
212Export is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Owner
 
USADino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USADino
Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
Are you looking for a York A/C Compressor?
Rebuilds are often not cost effective when people find they can buy new ones for under $300 which are exact fit replacements but have 40% more cfm and use modern Viton seals
USADino is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
That is probably the way to go and no concourse judge in the world is likely into York compressor serial numbers.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the hint guys. No I'm not at all, ever into concours thinking, just into originality or traditionality. But I'm open for discussion. What is a "York compressor". Where do I get it ? Thanks in advance for the help and further "enlightment".
212Export is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
I went quickly to see if there was any naming on the compressor. I did find some numbers printed at the top. It says:
12-5516
G-36

On the side, but hardly visible (as the compressor is still fixed on in the engine bay) is a metal plaquette, blue written and some numbers again. But nowhere "York".

I really use the A/C very, very seldom and I was already thinking about the idea to take it complete away and store it somewhere. The weight savings by doing that would be much more into the direction of my philosophy than having cool air in the cabin (I can open both windows slightly and that is cooling enough for "macho" Daytona drivers )
I guess that would not cause any problems ?!
212Export is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
I went quickly to see if there was any naming on the compressor. I did find some numbers printed at the top. It says:
12-5516
G-36

On the side, but hardly visible (as the compressor is still fixed on in the engine bay) is a metal plaquette, blue written and some numbers again. But nowhere "York".

I really use the A/C very, very seldom and I was already thinking about the idea to take it complete away and store it somewhere. The weight savings by doing that would be much more into the direction of my philosophy than having cool air in the cabin (I can open both windows slightly and that is cooling enough for "macho" Daytona drivers )
I guess that would not cause any problems ?!


Aspera was the original compressor. It was a York copy. The Aspera was very tricky to get to reseal correctly because of the front seal design which is probably where it is leaking anyway. The York painted silver to match the original will be indestinguishable to all but a very select few. It is a standard compressor used in a great many cars in the 70's so should not present a great problem matching it up at a good supplier of automotive air conditioning parts. Only three items to pay attention to. Keep your clutch and pulley. It is a special part for your application. Pay close attention to the size and thread pitch for the head fittings. Yours are probably an inch size rather than metric and there is a metric that is indistinguishable by eye. Third, they were produced in later years with metric threads in the air compressor body for the mounting locations. Again, because of the age of the car yours was probably in inch dimension threads and the special mounting hardware is too. That needs to be determined and the correct unit selected.

Any or all of this can go either way depending on prior repairs and parts replacements on a car of that age.
Brian is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Brian- Have you found anyone who can reliably rebuild the Aspera compressor?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brian- Have you found anyone who can reliably rebuild the Aspera compressor?


No.
Brian is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Brian- Another project for Dave Helms or a lost cause?

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brian- Another project for Dave Helms or a lost cause?


Just a lousy design and the correct seal does not seem to exist. Switch to a York.
Brian is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Brian, thanks AGAIN for that wealth of information. You guys are are "walking encyclopaedias". So I have now all 3 possibilities: a) fitting a new one b) restoring the old one (most pricey) c) taking the old one out (keeping it safely) and drive without A/C.
212Export is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Owner
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Brian- Another project for Dave Helms or a lost cause?


Terry, I should be a little more complete and accurate.

Borletti and Aspera both made York knock off compressors for Ferrari. I have never taken a Borletti apart so know nothing of it. The Aspera is more common and I have worked on those. They took some liberties with the York design, probably to ease production. The front seal design is one of those areas and also happens to be the weak link of the design. With the troubles I have had with them and the availability of Yorks I just replace them.
Brian is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Owner
Elite Member
 
tazandjan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Brian- Thanks

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
tazandjan is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 04-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Owner
 
USADino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USADino
Ferrari Life Posts: 826
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
I would wait and do it post Fled.
What is FLED?
I upgraded the Aspira Friga to a new rotary York on my Maserati Bora and found new, upgraded compressors were $250 cheaper than what a friend paid for his old, original to be rebuilt.
System blew ice cold with new compressor and although the case was exactly the same size and fit, it had a 40% increase in cfm flow rate.

I'm restoring Dino #1 and will do the upgrades again.


BTW, you mention envisioning an O-ring seal failure. Many of the old lines used flare seal fittings. If you are replacing and improving the system then you can choose to used those modern fittings with Viton O-ring seals

Last edited by USADino; 04-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
USADino is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
212Export's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Europe
Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
What is FLED?
I upgraded the Aspira Friga to a new rotary York on my Maserati Bora and found new, upgraded compressors were $250 cheaper than what a friend paid for his old, original to be rebuilt.
System blew ice cold with new compressor and although the case was exactly the same size and fit, it had a 40% increase in cfm flow rate.

I'm restoring Dino #1 and will do the upgrades again.


BTW, you mention envisioning an O-ring seal failure. Many of the old lines used flare seal fittings. If you are replacing and improving the system then you can choose to used those modern fittings with Viton O-ring seals
Thanks for the update !
212Export is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 04-07-2012, 04:12 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM246 View Post
What is FLED?
s
Ferrari Life Epic Drive - which this year will be 5 days across Scotland.
Boxer is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale