Ferrari GTO at 140 mph - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 504
Ferrari GTO at 140 mph

There is something special about late night/early morning motoring that goes beyond the absence of traffic. The darkness combined with the cooler air seems to add horsepower to the car as well as the dream and I used to do quite a bit of this on my way home after a night at Matthew's night club and the ceremonial three AM breakfast with selected companions.

One night, or early morning, I was headed home on the freeway at what I would call cruising speed. The GTO had a rev counter but no speedometer, so it was all seat-of-the-pants, so to speak. Nearing home, I turned onto my exit and waited at the end of the off-ramp for the traffic light to turn from red to green. It seemed to take forever and though no one else was on the street at that hour, I (inexplicably) waited for the green light reflecting, perhaps, on the events of the evening. When it finally turned green, I saw red. It was the red light from a California Highway Patrol car which pulled up behind me. "Pull to the side of the road," came the metallic command from the P.A. I did as instructed.

As the patrolman and I exited our cars, he came towards me with an incredulous smile saying, "If you hadn't stopped for the light I'd never have caught up with you." I mentally filed this in Notes to Self and prepared for the worst. His next words were: Can I see the engine?

He seemed to know what he was looking at, noting the six carburetors, twelve velocity stacks, and two distributors. He took his time enjoying the sight and I wasn't going to rush him. He asked about the redline. Usually 7000, 7500 on birthdays and special occasions, I told him. He used his flashlight to examine all the interesting bits in the engine compartment. I couldn't help noticing his citation pad tucked under his arm. Again, no need to rush him.

Finally, he'd seen all there was to see and had, no doubt, committed it to memory. Had he a camera with him, I'm certain he would have asked to take a picture. "Do you know how fast you were going?" Under any other circumstances, this would be a cool question that I would attempt to answer but before I could decline, he went on to say, "I clocked you at 140 about four miles back."

As I began to think about whom I could rouse from bed at that hour to bail me out of jail, the patrolman said, "Try to keep your speed down while you're in California, okay?" Absolutely okay, I thought!

And so it was that we parted company as the sun was coming up, the Nevada plates going far beyond the call of duty on this occasion.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Stephen, with that Nevada plate, maybe the officer thought you were a family member of the Mafia ??? Seriously, a great story and thanx for sharing. I am certain you have many more to inspire. Thanx. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Stephen, with that Nevada plate, maybe the officer thought you were a family member of the Mafia ??? Seriously, a great story and thanx for sharing. I am certain you have many more to inspire. Thanx. w/ smiles Jimmy
Incredibly, I was asked on numerous occasions if I was the governor of Nevada as personalized plates didn't exist in California at the time. SM1 looked very official.

Thanks, Jimmy!

post #4 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Stephen
I love these stories. A great tale, enhanced by the prose chosen. Before I even saw the picture, I had created my own picture in my mind's eye.

I had a similar incident many years ago shortly after I bought my 360. The Dublin - Belfast M1 motorway can't match the romance of sunrise on a Californian highway, but maybe in many years to come I'll post a similar thread and reminisce in a similar fashion. Thanks for sharing the story.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Great story as always.

Speaking of Nevada the State Troopers there have quite a few of Bill Harrah hotrodding around the state in his Daytona, often with Bobby Gentry riding shotgun.

Seems Bill felt what few speed limits they had back then really didn't apply to him.

I was told his bodyguard followed along behind in a C4.

Last edited by Brian; 08-31-2011 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasnavian View Post
Incredibly, I was asked on numerous occasions if I was the governor of Nevada as personalized plates didn't exist in California at the time. SM1 looked very official.

Thanks, Jimmy!
That is very funny. If you were the governor at that age you would have been a real hip (farout, period correct terminology ?) one at that.
Going a bit off topic but back in the days when I was in the States as a first year college freshman, I had nothing to do during Christmas break and my roommate was heading to Seattle from LA to visit a friend, so I tagged along since he needed a codriver. I did not own a car then and he had a beatenup 1966 Ford Mustang. I believe we were cruising along the open road in northern California. I think he was moving along well over the speed limit, something like 85mph or so. From behind, this one car was flying past us and we commented something like, gosh, he's in a hurry. Within moments. we saw this tiny dot in the rear mirror, which in no time turned out to be a sheriff car, zoomed past us to go after that car, but he did not just passed us,...as he did, he stuck his hand out to tell us to stop and wait. Of course we did. When the officer was done with the first car, he came back and finished his business with us. There is a prologue, the beaten up Mustang overheated in the mountain road of Portland also.
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Thanks, guys! Barry, I can romanticize about Ireland, Brian, Bill was certainly 'privileged' in many ways!
post #8 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
That is very funny. If you were the governor at that age you would have been a real hip (farout, period correct terminology ?) one at that.
Going a bit off topic but back in the days when I was in the States as a first year college freshman, I had nothing to do during Christmas break and my roommate was heading to Seattle from LA to visit a friend, so I tagged along since he needed a codriver. I did not own a car then and he had a beatenup 1966 Ford Mustang. I believe we were cruising along the open road in northern California. I think he was moving along well over the speed limit, something like 85mph or so. From behind, this one car was flying past us and we commented something like, gosh, he's in a hurry. Within moments. we saw this tiny dot in the rear mirror, which in no time turned out to be a sheriff car, zoomed past us to go after that car, but he did not just passed us,...as he did, he stuck his hand out to tell us to stop and wait. Of course we did. When the officer was done with the first car, he came back and finished his business with us. There is a prologue, the beaten up Mustang overheated in the mountain road of Portland also.
w/ smiles Jimmy
He who waits is lost...
post #9 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks, guys! Barry, I can romanticize about Ireland,
I suppose far away hills are always greener In my case it was under the shadow of the Mourne Mountains where I encountered my first ever Ferrari appreciating member of the Garda Siochana.

The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #10 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Owner

Quote:
He who waits is lost...
You are correct. At least, it was my roommate in the driver's seat. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Owner

Quote:
He who waits is lost...
I'd have been taking the next available turn off at warp speed...

post #12 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 10,022
140 mph in that car had to feel like 210 in todays cars.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
I'd have been taking the next available turn off at warp speed...
That brings to mind an anecdote I've yet to tell!
post #14 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Owner

From Ed Niles...

An addendum from Ed Niles:

"Reminds me of the time that the FOC had a group (“Ride’n’Drive”) going to Las Vegas. We got caught in a road block after the eye in the sky spotted us, and the first one to whom the officer spoke was Walt McCune, who flashed his LAPD sergeant’s badge. Next in line was Bruce Sand, who showed his Sheriff’s Reserve badge. Turning red, the officer went back to poor Dan Ward, and said, “I suppose you’re a [expletive deleted] cop, too!”

Proving that cops are human, we too got off with a warning.

Keep on keepin’ on with the great tales. Ed"
post #15 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 862
cool

im glad the CHP officer was cool,,,,if he wasnt using laser.,..a valentine one radar unit would have alerted you in plenty of time to get on the anchors,,,the CHP cars,,,use Ka radar,,,i think the motor cops are all using laser,,,you need a jammer when it comes to laser,,,even though my V1 has laser detection,,,it doesnt seem to pick up the laser signature...i was on california 154 up past santa barbera,,,doing about 135,,in my 328,,when i picked up a chp s Ka radar about a mile away.,.,.he wasnt even using his gun,,,it was sitting at idle in his cruiser,,,and my unit still detected his radar,,,plenty enough time to call it quits,,now if he was pacing you,,,,,
post #16 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucca brazzi View Post
im glad the CHP officer was cool,,,,if he wasnt using laser.,..a valentine one radar unit would have alerted you in plenty of time to get on the anchors,,,the CHP cars,,,use Ka radar,,,i think the motor cops are all using laser,,,you need a jammer when it comes to laser,,,even though my V1 has laser detection,,,it doesnt seem to pick up the laser signature...i was on california 154 up past santa barbera,,,doing about 135,,in my 328,,when i picked up a chp s Ka radar about a mile away.,.,.he wasnt even using his gun,,,it was sitting at idle in his cruiser,,,and my unit still detected his radar,,,plenty enough time to call it quits,,now if he was pacing you,,,,,
All's fair in love and war! I've never used a radar detector but probably should have on a few occasions.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Stephen- I am with you and figure if they catch me fair and square, it was my fault. Funny, though, because in the AF I was an electronic warfare officer, and taught everybody how to use the EW receiver (radar detector) to recognize radars and then how to jam them.

Taz
Terry Phillips
post #18 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
Stephen- I am with you and figure if they catch me fair and square, it was my fault. Funny, though, because in the AF I was an electronic warfare officer, and taught everybody how to use the EW receiver (radar detector) to recognize radars and then how to jam them.

Taz
Terry Phillips
That's what we need more of around here--Electronic Warfare Officers!

I rode with a friend who had a detector in the early days. His unit was alerting to the automatic doors at supermarkets.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,856
Stephen- Building radar jammers is easy, just illegal. In the olden days we used a wide open receiver and could tell what kind of pulsed radar it was from the sound. Not much help on the CW radars the cops use. Incidentally, ~3300 hz doppler shift is ~55 mph, which used to be a very handy number.

Taz
Terry Phillips
post #20 of 23 Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM
Owner

Quote:
An addendum from Ed Niles:

"Reminds me of the time that the FOC had a group (“Ride’n’Drive”) going to Las Vegas. We got caught in a road block after the eye in the sky spotted us, and the first one to whom the officer spoke was Walt McCune, who flashed his LAPD sergeant’s badge. Next in line was Bruce Sand, who showed his Sheriff’s Reserve badge. Turning red, the officer went back to poor Dan Ward, and said, “I suppose you’re a [expletive deleted] cop, too!”

Proving that cops are human, we too got off with a warning.

Keep on keepin’ on with the great tales. Ed"
I must and have to meet this gentleman, Mr. Niles, one of these days to pay my respect for all that he is. How can one live a life like his, I do not know. Thanx, Stephen for another great story there. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode