250 GTO photos from Chuck Queener - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 504
250 GTO photos from Chuck Queener

Chuck Queener was president of the Ferrari Owners Club in 1971 and had the pleasure--and privilege--of meeting Enzo Ferrari during a visit to the factory in Maranello. From reading my posts, one could get the impression that everyone who ever visited the factory in Maranello was given an audience with Il Drake but I assure you this was not the case as many high-powered people were denied an encounter and, though I won't mention any names here, you would be surprised to learn who they were. Chuck is well known for his incredible illustrations that have been featured in the best automotive publications.

Recently Chuck kindly sent me photos of GTO 3987. They are presented in this post and here are Chuck's notes:

"Number II (4.5Ēx3Ē print) has your name and 9810434 which I guess is/was your phone number at the time. I donít know why I have it except it might have been for the FOC roster. The other two are Riverside after the GP with Zipper and the last one I took at a show in Orange Co. but Iím not really sure. It carries dealer plates and the guy in the hat might be Otto but I canít remember that either."

CQ
Queener Design

I suspect that the third photo was taken while Otto still owned 3987 but before he sold it to William Reinhardt. It still carries dealer plates but has gone from Mecom colors to resale red. My thanks go to Chuck for passing along these photos.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by krasnavian View Post
though I won't mention any names here
Awwww - spoil sport!

Thanks for the historical nibbles, Krasnavian, absolutely fascinating. Great photo's too!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Awwww - spoil sport!

Thanks for the historical nibbles, Krasnavian, absolutely fascinating. Great photo's too!

Onno
Well, one of them was...

post #4 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Well, one of them was...
I'm holding my breath...

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #5 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for sharing, Stephen. Absolutely priceless. I can only imagine the free spirit of such days. Luv those tri-air ducts (probably for cooling off) behind the windshield. I added a single, large flexible tube in my Abarth for similar reason. Would luv to hear more stories. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #6 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
Luv those tri-air ducts (probably for cooling off) behind the windshield. I added a single, large flexible tube in my Abarth for similar reason. Would luv to hear more stories. w/ smiles Jimmy
Yes, those tubes plugged into the fresh air/heater/defroster unit.
post #7 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Owner

Quote:
Yes, those tubes plugged into the fresh air/heater/defroster unit.
I presume that this solution was out of necessity for "creature comfort" afterthought ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #8 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
I presume that this solution was out of necessity for "creature comfort" afterthought ? w/ smiles Jimmy
The unit was standard equipment on a GTO. I had to improvise the tubes as the originals--which resembled plastic 90 degree plumbing joints--were lost before I acquired the car.
post #9 of 38 Old 06-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Owner

I see,..but you could have sold the design rights back to Pinn (or another ?) cause it is kinda nice, the way the pipes protude up and out like that. w/ smiles Jimmy PS. Sorry for pestering minor details.
post #10 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Fantastic. A real piece of history...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #11 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #12 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,875
Nice contrast in the last black and white one.

Current: 85' GTS QV
It's a simple process...... it's just complicated by human beings....
post #13 of 38 Old 06-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
Fantastic. A real piece of history...
Somehow, it is simply not the same as now. Krasnavian, Mr. Niles, et al are living legends in regards to F cars. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 38 Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

These photos and anecdote from my friend Serge Dermanian arrived in response to my post "GTO photos from Chuck Queener". For many years, Serge looked after the cars in the Ralph Lauren collection including, of course, my old GTO. His job was to drive the cars in the collection as often as he liked and to keep them in proper working order. O lucky man!

"Hello Stephen,

I remember, how I meet Chuck Queener! In 1982, I had organized a Ferrari meet, at my Waltham, MA. High Performance Cars Alfa store. I had invited Peter Sachs, who came with a surprise "gift"! Chuck Queener in person, by the road from Connecticut, driving the fabulous, famous, 1956 Paris Show car, a white Superfast. I remember replacing the spark plugs as soon as they arrived.

Look at these 2 pictures! We had a great day that ended in a nearby restaurant & a slide show of ferraris I owned!

Souvenirs..souvenirs..

Regards
Serge Dermanian"
Attached Images

post #15 of 38 Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 719
Quote:
These photos and anecdote from my friend Serge Dermanian arrived in response to my post "GTO photos from Chuck Queener". For many years, Serge looked after the cars in the Ralph Lauren collection including, of course, my old GTO. His job was to drive the cars in the collection as often as he liked and to keep them in proper working order. O lucky man!

"Hello Stephen,

I remember, how I meet Chuck Queener! In 1982, I had organized a Ferrari meet, at my Waltham, MA. High Performance Cars Alfa store. I had invited Peter Sachs, who came with a surprise "gift"! Chuck Queener in person, by the road from Connecticut, driving the fabulous, famous, 1956 Paris Show car, a white Superfast. I remember replacing the spark plugs as soon as they arrived.

Look at these 2 pictures! We had a great day that ended in a nearby restaurant & a slide show of ferraris I owned!

Souvenirs..souvenirs..

Regards
Serge Dermanian"
That is Superfast 1. A very special car with a competition motor. I believe that the first owner was Doheny in Beveryly Hills. Was told how Chris Cord (step son of Doheny) and Steve Earle would sneak it out of the garage and terrorize Mulholland with it when they were teenagers.

While the car was owned by Don Dethlefsen he published a booklet on the car. Still have a copy.

As originally built/shown by Pf there were not A pillars. By the time the car was sold it had gotten them; obviously the cantilevered roof was sound enough.

Jeff
post #16 of 38 Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kennedy View Post
That is Superfast 1. A very special car with a competition motor. I believe that the first owner was Doheny in Beveryly Hills. Was told how Chris Cord (step son of Doheny) and Steve Earle would sneak it out of the garage and terrorize Mulholland with it when they were teenagers.

While the car was owned by Don Dethlefsen he published a booklet on the car. Still have a copy.

As originally built/shown by Pf there were not A pillars. By the time the car was sold it had gotten them; obviously the cantilevered roof was sound enough.

Jeff
Thanx for the follow up infos and stories, Jeff. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge and invaluable stories and episodes. Cannot even begin to imagine what it was like to terrorize Mulholland with a car like that. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #17 of 38 Old 08-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanx for the follow up infos and stories, Jeff. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge and invaluable stories and episodes. Cannot even begin to imagine what it was like to terrorize Mulholland with a car like that. w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks for the kind words. The local chapter of our FCA has me do a Historical Corner for our newsletter. It is place that lets me find a home for useless information and old stories. Recently did one on 250LM 5909. Kept that car for the then owner over about 2 1/2 months. Fool he was to entrust it to a college student. Would drive the car to schools sometimes but never 2 days in a row in case someone called the cops. No mufflers and I did enjoy finding red line.

Jeff
post #18 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
We have some pretty sweet videos of these cars that we restored by us. We have videos of two 250 GTOs that we did on our YouTube page. Both of them went to Pebble Beach this year and the red one took home 1st place! Check out the footage and let me know what you think:
First one (1st of the 36 made, 1st place-winner) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbzSQ7f_QKY
Second one (5th car of 36 made) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNsGytoEbI
post #19 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
saw a special on you guys on speed recently. lot's of amazing cars. thanks for the links.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #20 of 38 Old 08-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotionProducts View Post
We have some pretty sweet videos of these cars that we restored by us. We have videos of two 250 GTOs that we did on our YouTube page. Both of them went to Pebble Beach this year and the red one took home 1st place! Check out the footage and let me know what you think:
First one (1st of the 36 made, 1st place-winner) - Ferrari 250 GTO SWEET Sound Revving (1st Car of 36) - YouTube
Second one (5th car of 36 made) - Ferrari 250 GTO AWESOME Revving sound/Moving (5th Car of 36) - YouTube
Remember 3223 well from when Bodin had it.

Wayne we met at the last FCA National at Elkhart. You were with Jack Thomas during the awards in the afternoon.

Jeff

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode