365 gtc bare metal - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 38
365 gtc bare metal

update on my bm respray in the hands of the might Al - original thread is running on fchat (as i had used that forum before i found this one), but am also posting here as I really want to see these colours below if anyone has photos....

paint strip and remedial welding all done.

Al now appears to be applying a thin layer of cream cheese to the car. Not sure why - perhaps it has hygroscopic qualities....?

Am heading over to the paintshop on Friday to finalise paint colour. The shortlist is grigio mahmoud (original colour,has blue in it); grigio fumo (grey with a bronze tint); or grigio ferro (rich metallic grey).

We will have sprayout cars for these but am sure none of them can do justice to the finshed result built up over so many layers, so if anyone has pictures of cars in these three colours, please post them up

thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
I remember hygroscopic material for AL being yellow, but that was decades ago and a Navy product we used.

That material looks more like a shaping or coverup material prior to painting to make it all that much more perfect. Perhaps it cannot be helped, but I am a big fan of leaving the crinckles in....but then again, a 'perfect' presentation is hard to debate.

except for the grigio ferro, the other two choices sound very interesting and a very nice choice.

Please NO RED

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #3 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 738
Dear Rik,

It was zinc chromate as I recall, used it frequently on aircraft frames and other aluminum materials. But it was a primer not a filler.

Best regards,

Robert

post #4 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I remember hygroscopic material for AL being yellow, but that was decades ago and a Navy product we used.

That material looks more like a shaping or coverup material prior to painting to make it all that much more perfect. Perhaps it cannot be helped, but I am a big fan of leaving the crinckles in....but then again, a 'perfect' presentation is hard to debate.

except for the grigio ferro, the other two choices sound very interesting and a very nice choice.

Please NO RED
definately not red! - wrong type of model imho
post #5 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
definately not red! - wrong type of model imho
exactly

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #6 of 73 Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
The original color sounds very elegant.
post #7 of 73 Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
You already have my photos Tony.

I heard Al is having a hernia operation soon. Let me use this thread to wish him all the best (even though he doesn't know me).

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #8 of 73 Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
Thanks for starting the thread over here. Interested to see how it pans out. I'm no body man but that looks like filler.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #9 of 73 Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Any decision on the color yet?
post #10 of 73 Old 01-28-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Owner

just back in from a 460 mile round trip to see Al and the car - the car is probably in a better shape than Al at the moment, so fingers crossed for the hernia operation.

Al had spray cards for grigio ferro, fumo and orthello, and we went through these and compared them with the original mahmoud under lighting and outside in the brecon beacon winter sun

orthello is a mid silver / light grey and therefore was easily discounted as being to light (i think the car needs a strong dark colour to balance all the chrome and the massive amount of glass up top)

ferro, fumo, and mahmoud were then all the same level of darkness, and this brought mahmoud back into play...

fumo is absolutely delicious and if I had a tan interior this would be the clear choice as it has a bronze dusting / tint to the metalic grey. Against this, I have black leather and am not sure the colours complement each other as well as mahmoud and ferro

ferro is quite similar to the silverstone colour available on the current f-car range and would work well on the 365gtc but..

mahmoud is the original colour and would look equally good. I also know that just over 40 years ago someone with impeccable taste in cars deliberated long and hard and chose mahmoud for their brand new 365gtc, and so I have as well

the car is going back to its original colour and that makes me rather excited!!!. ( As with so many important decisions, I think I went with my gut instinct and then backfilled the above logical analysis to support the gut instinct)
post #11 of 73 Old 01-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
just back in from a 460 mile round trip to see Al and the car - the car is probably in a better shape than Al at the moment, so fingers crossed for the hernia operation...

mahmoud is the original colour and would look equally good. I also know that just over 40 years ago someone with impeccable taste in cars deliberated long and hard and chose mahmoud for their brand new 365gtc, and so I have as well

the car is going back to its original colour and that makes me rather excited!!!. ( As with so many important decisions, I think I went with my gut instinct and then backfilled the above logical analysis to support the gut instinct)
Excellent choice, look forward to seeing the 365 GTC when it is all done.
post #12 of 73 Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Excellent choice, look forward to seeing the 365 GTC when it is all done.
+1.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #13 of 73 Old 01-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
post #14 of 73 Old 01-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
I've seen quite a few shades of light blue on these ear cars (including my own) and feel the bodywork really shines with a lighter metalic type pain job. Matt and darker colors hide the curves which I thinks a real shame.
post #15 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi330 View Post
I've seen quite a few shades of light blue on these ear cars (including my own) and feel the bodywork really shines with a lighter metalic type pain job. Matt and darker colors hide the curves which I thinks a real shame.
thanks kiwi - do you have a photo / name of paint colour please?
post #16 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
My book color was Blu Chiaro Metallico, but that is just Metallic Light Blue in Italian and there are many different shades. Mine is a little more green that some of the others as you can see in the attached photos.
Attached Images

post #17 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear Rik,

It was zinc chromate as I recall, used it frequently on aircraft frames and other aluminum materials. But it was a primer not a filler.

Best regards,

Robert
Yes, I stand corrected: Primer. Thanks for the reminder. Used that material as standard on 3M routines. Boat booms come to mind for my group.

Navy had a great system. I use it as a model for current tasks 30+ years later.

rik

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #18 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Actually quite like both colors in the 2nd picture. Very elegant.
post #19 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
Yes, I stand corrected: Primer. Thanks for the reminder. Used that material as standard on 3M routines. Boat booms come to mind for my group.

Navy had a great system. I use it as a model for current tasks 30+ years later.

rik
I asked Al what this was when I was over there last week. It is Philadelphia Light, and he is using it as filler, not primer. Apparently it is as hard as nails once dried out...
post #20 of 73 Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Is this any help, i know its a scaglietti one and not a pininfarina one, but i think some of the colours are the same.:-
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode