330 2+2 gt4 vs 365 2+2 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
330 2+2 gt4 vs 365 2+2

I am on the fence leaning toward my first Ferrari. A 66 330 2+2 in great shape for 110K. The dealer is right near me so I am able to physically inspect and test the car. Does anyone know the difference between the 66 330 and the 66 365? I have never seen a 66 365 in person, but the photos look pretty close. it may be a bit sleeker and prettier. Should I shop for a 365 or get the 330?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Suggest you download and read the buyers guides for both models. They detail the differences:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php
post #3 of 17 Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Just a small correction - the GT/4 tag stands for 4 cam and was never available on the 330.

The 365 GT 2+2 is a quite different car from the 330 GT 2+2 and was launched in late 1967, not 1966. It is quite a bit larger, quite a bit more powerful and has power steering (not 100% sure but I believe it was standard). It did have standard air con, power windows, and stereo. It also had Koni self-levelling suspension (a first on a Ferrari), and the 330 2+2 did not have the independent suspension of the 330 GTC so the ride is definitely better on a 365. It has, obviously, more power too.

For me, with cars like this, it comes down to what you like more to look at. They are not sporty vehicles, they are luxury cars from the 1960's with a lot of distinction and elegance. So decide on the one that fits best with you. For myself, I found the 330 GT 2+2 was just not sporty enough and I decided to save up for a 330GTC. But for other people it is different.

Both cars should be similar in maintenance and restoration costs, so it is all down to your own preference.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 17 Old 12-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Onno is exactly correct in his descriptions of the two cars, so I won't add anything to that.

I have driven both cars a fair number of miles and can give you my impressions. You know you are driving a big car when in the 365 - the 330 seems tiny by comparison. the 330's motor is a sweet, free revving motor, but definitely lacks the low-end grunt/torque that the 365 has; I was always startled by how much a difference the extra .4 liter made in the torque.

Onno is correct that the 365 had power steering as standard. But unlike a lot of 1960s power steering units, the one in the 365 is pretty communicative - I never encountered the vagueness in feedback that one encounters on a lot of other early PS cars.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-14-2010, 08:40 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
It's nice to know I wasn't far off, Bryan, I've never driven a 365 GT 2+2 you know...

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
Hi guys, first post in the forum for me!

As somebody who has taken a '66 330GT 2+2 series II through a full restoration back to original factory delivered color and rebuilding the engine I'd like to add an important point to the discussion.

Maintenance and restoration of this era Ferrari cost the same if it's a 2+2 or GTC. But $$$ spent on a GTC will be reflected in the potential sale value of your car where as the 2+2's you'll over spend based on what you could ever hope to get back on sale.

So if you are going to own a 2+2 either resist the urge to tidy the old girl up a little or with scope creep you'll end up doing what I did. Or if you've done what I have, just love your pride and joy so much you never want to sell it and the cost becomes a moot point.

Rob
Attached Images

post #7 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Welcome Rob, and excellent first post! You did beautiful work on the old girl. Where are you located? Or is "kiwi" our clue?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
A gorgeous beauty. Congratulations kiwi !
post #9 of 17 Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
Welcome Rob, and excellent first post! You did beautiful work on the old girl. Where are you located? Or is "kiwi" our clue?
RWD and palm trees.......certainly not near where I am located.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Beautiful classic old school Ferrari in a stunning colour. Good on you for bringing her back to glory even though you say it did not make economic sense to do so. Pride of ownership and knowing that you have saved a beautiful Ferrari should be even greater reward than increasing money values.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Fantastic example and great job on bringing up to A+ level. Just noticed it was RHD.

Welcome to FerrariLife
post #12 of 17 Old 01-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Owner

Me and the old girl are located here in New Zealand. My 330 came to New Zealand in 1974 from the UK with another 330GT 2+2 and a 330 GTC. I believe its one of about 38 Series II RHD cars produced of which I wouldn't be surprised if less than 20 RHD's are still on the road considering the number that where chopped up for donor cars and other write offs over the years.

The car had a bit restoration work in the 1980's including a very unflattering Rosso Corsa paint job. It wasn't in bad condition, quite tidy actually, but a matt red paint job on the lovely rounded Pininfarina lines didn't do the car justice. The original order sheet simply listed the color as Blu Chiaro Metallico, but further research revealed the correct color as in the earlier shots was in fact a Fiat color at the time and not the same as the Blu Chiaro Metallico (metallic light blue) popular on other Ferrari's of the era.

The engine was getting up to 120,000 miles and was starting to have some niggles which was the motivation to get some major work done on the car.

Mechanically now the car is great. It gets hell, especially on Ferrari Club runs where it's kept up with cars 20 years younger over some of the glorious windy hills to the surprise (and perhaps dismay) of the car owners (the trick is just leave it in 2nd gear and let the engines wide torque range do all the work while the other guys are busy changing gears to try stay in the correct rev range for power!).

The work was completed by Auto Restorations in Christchurch, NZ. While they are by no means cheap these guys have a great record of Ferrari restorations, all with expert loving detail and finish. They have won a number of major international awards for their work over the years including a few Pebble Beach wins.

Here are a couple links to some of Auto Restorations work if anybody is interested Ferrari 250 GT Lusso, Ferrari 375 plus and a friends 166 Inter Ferrari 166 Inter, Stabilamenti Farina Body
post #13 of 17 Old 01-30-2011, 11:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Utterly impressive standard, Kiwi330. I have heard of before that there's this shop in NZ that delivers nothing but excellence. This must be the one then.
Just curious as to what kind of time frame and cost are involved here.

If I were to say restore my Dino, probably the realistic figures here (Japan) is around 15 to 20 million Yen (something like 170K US$) and probably looking at a two year span. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #14 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Owner

Hi Jimmy,

I think from memory my resto was over $250k NZD or around $180k USD and was in the shop for about 1 1/2 years. So quite comparable to the details you quoted.

The 330 is a bigger car though and it's possible your Dino being smaller would take less hours on the body work and come in cheaper.

The work that goes into this kind of resto is pretty comprehensive. The engine was stripped and sent to Air New Zealand's engineering workshop for stress fracture testing. Any part with even microscopic stress fracture was replaced. The radiator fan which was pretty much useless had it's guts stripped and a modern higher capacity fan stealthily installed in the original housing to improve engine temperature for around town driving without compromising originality. I think on that front they also re-machined the original water-pump housing to fit a modern water-pump seal given the problems with availability of the original seal and it's tendency to crap out. Again this little improvement under the surface so from visual inspection you couldn't tell the difference.

At any time they usually have upwards of 3 or 4 Ferrari's getting restorations so they have great parts contacts globally and the guys working on the cars have done it all before and know what they are doing and the finish required. Unfortunately they know a little too much! So after my engine bay was painted I was told I should technically zinc the top of a hex bolt attached to the steering column and the actual column itself should be in a glassy black not a matt black like the rest of the engine bay. Everything had already cost so bloody much by this stage I just told them to do it as it should be, rather than saving a few dollars. All along the way though there was great communication and options given. I just tended to tell them to do it once and do it right even if something perhaps didn't need something done right away but would probably need some attention in a couple of years.

Good luck with your decision. Even though it cost a small fortune the feeling you get after its all done makes it worth it, providing you can high the receipts from your wife that is!
post #15 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great restoration story Kiwi330. The classic heart over head, but that's the way to ensure the perfect end result.

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #16 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Very nice story and even better to hear that the 330 GT 2+2 gets used exactly as it was originally intended.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thank You for your detailed story on resto, Kiwi330. Very, very impressive workmanship and professionalism there. My intention of asking was not that I was set to undergo such a project. It was more of curiosity and comparison interest. Now and then, you hear stories like this or that shop does excellent work and so forth, but then it is hard to judge. I have had my shares of disappointments here.

Looking at your car and hearing your story, it is truly impressive. As you stated, they may know too much !!! Thanx again. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode