1975 308 gt4 single or dual exhaust? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
1975 308 gt4 single or dual exhaust?

Hello, looking to purchase a 1975 308 gt4. One that I am looking at has a single exhaust, instead of the dual exhaust that I have seen on nearly every other model? Can anyone enlighten me on if this is unique to this year or model, an option, or is it missing 1/2 the exhaust? If it is standard, does this affect the performance. This car is located in the US, I have only seen photos of one other gt4 with a single exhaust, located in Europe. Thanks for your insights.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 05:23 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
all have a "single" exhaust. just some have two sets of tail pipes coming out of it. Easily changed back with a correct muffler.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thank you!

post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 177
I have never seen one with a single exhaust. Odd.

There is nothing like a Ferrari, there never has been and never will be!
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 06:02 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
That "single" exhaust most likely comes from a 308 GTB/S (maybe as a replaqement over the years) as the first series 308 GTB/S (the carburated) had single exhaust pipes.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Sorry, but I checked Keith Bluemels V8 reference again and on the 308 GT4 exhaust he writes:

"On european cars each bank of cylinders had a four-branch tubular stelel exhaust manifold, whereas US and Australian models had pressed steel collector manifolds with air injection points. The forward manifold fed via a single pipe to a flanged connection into the righ hand side of the silencer box, while the rearward manifold fed in the same manner into the left-hand side of the silencer box....The exhaust gases exited through two pairs of chromed tail-pipes pointing directly rearward except for US models, which used tail-pipes with a 90 degrees bends to direct exhaust gases towards the ground. As this was not very pleasing aesthetically, Ferrari effected a modification in July 1975, so that dummy tail pipes shrouded the downward-facing pipes. Additionally US and austalian models were fitted with an evaporative loss system and an emission control device that injected air into the exhaust valve ports"

Hope that helps a little to bring light into the subject.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode