250 GTE 2+2 Ser II : Shell - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,193
250 GTE 2+2 Ser II : Shell

Don't know whether to laugh, cry, or bid: Seems someone ate the engine or the engine is just toast, but, oh, well, this on ebay now with a reserve > $40K...JUST the shell, and shell seems in nice condition.

wonder what it would take to put a hybrid in there...no, not kidding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...item3cad972b8f
Attached Images

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Agree. This is #3787, topic also discussed in TomYang and FChat sites. This car was previously owned by Mr. Julio Basta in Europe who had it restored to outstanding level. The car ended up in the States after several owners to where it is now,...very sad. Kinda similar to organ donors (sellers), just pick out what you want and throw away the rest ??? W/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 36 Old 05-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
There is another 250 GTE shell for sale in the UK. Very sad to see them ripped apart to make replicas.

post #4 of 36 Old 05-29-2010, 05:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
For $40k, you could just admire the pure artistry of the body...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #5 of 36 Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
5 years ago $40k bought a nice drivers 250 GTE.
post #6 of 36 Old 05-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 190
Quote:
+1, the body is gorgeous.
post #7 of 36 Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
5 years ago $40k bought a nice drivers 250 GTE.
Good point...

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #8 of 36 Old 05-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
As I and others on the other threads have opined - this is just sickening. I can't believe that this was deemed the smart way to go in order to obtain an outside plug 250 motor for a fake. He bought it for 120k, looking for a little over 40k to sell the remains - so the motor cost $80k?? What is Shaughnessy charging for these things (because you know he must have them). And to break up a matching numbers car in terrific condition? Special place in hell for this guy.

and the threads on this topic always seem to contain the "well, it's his money so he can do what he wants." while this is obviously true, it is entirely besides the point and adds nothing to the discussion. Of COURSE, he can do what he wants; the point is SHOULD he?

The massacre of 2+2s and PF Coupes continues. Poor 3787 is now Exhibit A for proof that replica makers will pretty much stop at nothing to make a fake.
post #9 of 36 Old 06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
This car was previously owned by Mr. Julio Basta
Slight correction, the name is Julio Batista, although I'm sure he would say "Basta!" to this story (basta = "enough" in Italian). I know this story hurts him deeply; his father bought Ferraris from Enzo in the '50ies already and he is a pure Ferrari fan at heart. His brother and he share some wonderful Ferraris and he participated in the Mille Miglia this year where I met him.

As Bryan has said, this story is sickening. After becoming a Ferrari owner in 2007 and visiting the Goodwood Revival, I really fell in love with the old barchetta racers. I saw that you could buy a decent replica for money that I could afford. In 2008, I was flirting with the idea of buying one. But now that I see what is happening, I really have become a purist and anti-replicas.

Brian said just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. And that made me think of wearing fur: just because you CAN club a seal puppy without danger to yourself, and just because it has been done many times over in the past, doesn't mean it's right. Put it another way: to kill off a mighty stallion when it's running well and winning races is just criminal.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #10 of 36 Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Thanx for correcting this old fart, Onno. Sorry, Julio. And +1. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #11 of 36 Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:

EXCELLENT Point. I have art work on the wall near that price, HOW cool would that be.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #12 of 36 Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanp View Post
.....And to break up a matching numbers car in terrific condition? Special place in hell for this guy......
that is the more true statement...I hope the shell if NOT destroyed down the road finds its heart again..sad, truly truly sad.

Quote:
and the threads on this topic always seem to contain the "well, it's his money so he can do what he wants." while this is obviously true, it is entirely besides the point and adds nothing to the discussion. Of COURSE, he can do what he wants; the point is SHOULD he?

Unfortunately I like to live in a dream world sometimes, and I don't believe anyone with enough cash should be allowed to just buy. Not saying this item belongs to the public trust, but sometimes persons with too much money should be hand slapped.

What's next, I'll buy a MonaLisa so I can see it burn?

But, that's my perfect world and that will not exist.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:

Last edited by Granucci; 06-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.
post #13 of 36 Old 06-01-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Owner

with five days to go, bidding up to $45K. Potentials look like they know what they are doing in terms of vintage... ebay's 'new' means of showing potentials is terrible IMO...I used to love knowing the players on itmes I was bidding.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #14 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 05:57 AM
Master Mechanic

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,219
To be honest Bryan, when I worked for Tom in '08 there wasn't a homeless 250 motor to be found. He had a couple GTE shells that had been abandoned years ago and already pillaged...but definately a shortage of engines. For the $120k they spent on a complete good car I imagine they could have a fresh "period correct" engine cast at Ferrari and then have companies we regularly use here in the U.S. supply the internals for these abominations. Last I heard a fresh block and heads were around $20k...then again the boys at Ferrari probably wouldn't cast an engine except to replace a damaged one with serial number...
The fact that a close friend and collague has been able to restore a 250 GTE prototype and have it invited to some prestigious shows says alot for the true value of ANY Ferrari that is in proper condition.
post #15 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
To be honest Bryan, when I worked for Tom in '08 there wasn't a homeless 250 motor to be found. He had a couple GTE shells that had been abandoned years ago and already pillaged...but definately a shortage of engines. For the $120k they spent on a complete good car I imagine they could have a fresh "period correct" engine cast at Ferrari and then have companies we regularly use here in the U.S. supply the internals for these abominations. Last I heard a fresh block and heads were around $20k...then again the boys at Ferrari probably wouldn't cast an engine except to replace a damaged one with serial number...
The fact that a close friend and collague has been able to restore a 250 GTE prototype and have it invited to some prestigious shows says alot for the true value of ANY Ferrari that is in proper condition.

I think you bring up an interesting point:

- classiche, for whatever reason, would be able to recreate the block parts for about 20K? IF so, that is far better approach IMO than breaking up a together example. Especially since the canabalized 250 has a different numbered engine.

Isn't that where classiche would be of value? Or am I missing something here.

Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
post #16 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Master Mechanic

Unfortunately the boys in Italy only created "classiche" because they were sour about being the only ones not reaping huuge profits on vintage Ferraris. They started requiring cars to be "authenticated", otherwise they weren't allowed to represent Ferrari in major shows and races...it also gave everyone a way to weed through replicas that were being passed off as real cars, or cars that were reconstructed from a single frame rail and being called a "real" car. So with Ferrari's "help" we can authenticate a true car and fit it with a real Ferrari engine with a correct assembly number and consider it "correct". Unfortunately I doubt Classiche has ANY interested in helping someone build a replica...based on all of that...although I prefer they support "re-creations" and label them as so (like Shelby has for the Cobras) instead of leaving people to take it upon themselves to destroy real cars for some cobbled up conversation starter.
post #17 of 36 Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
I think you bring up an interesting point:

- classiche, for whatever reason, would be able to recreate the block parts for about 20K? IF so, that is far better approach IMO than breaking up a together example. Especially since the canabalized 250 has a different numbered engine.

Isn't that where classiche would be of value? Or am I missing something here.
Of value to the history and tradition of the marque. But not to the bottom line.
post #18 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
What may happen one day, I hope, is that the engines will be removed from the replica's and returned to the original cars. Imagine a 250GTE reunited with its original engine that has been hotted up to GTO spec as installed in the replica. A real Q-car!
post #19 of 36 Old 06-03-2010, 06:04 AM
Master Mechanic

NOOOOW we're talking Vitalone! It's fun seeing hot rod SWB and TDF's racing around...a fully pumped up GTE would be a real sight! Let's all take a moment and pray for that day....
post #20 of 36 Old 06-04-2010, 04:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSofVirginia View Post
You know Zac? He is a good friend as well and was a huge help to us at Pebble in 2008. I think you'll recognize him here . . . . I'm the guy giving my father/driver tons of really pertinent and useful advice in this pic, like "try not to hit any livestock or tourists".
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode