330 GTC driving impressions - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
330 GTC driving impressions

Thanks to the generosity of JazzyO, yesterday I was able to spend wonderful quality time behind the wheel of his magnificent 330 GTC. I will try to convey the sensations of driving the dark blue beauty. This is the second time JazzyO has entrusted me behind the wheel of this magnificent machine, an honour and a privilege. The first time was driving in the Alps during FLED 2.

Into the driver's seat and the sense of spacious is very good thanks to the airy greenhouse and how small this car is. One imagines a front engined V12 Ferrari to be big brute of a car but the GTC is comfortingly compact. Small on the outside, nice roomy cabin on the inside. My 6 4" frame fitted comfortably and I did not even need to adjust the seat all the way back. Lots of headroom. Narrow but not cramped interior. Feels as if I could touch the rearmost corners of the car without leaving the driver's seat. The long bonnet curves down between the headlights giving a lovely framed view of the road ahead. Pedals close together, glad I am wearing narrow sports shoes. With adjustment to pedal heights these close pedals would be perfect for heel-and toeing.

Into the dogleg first and the lever moves with easy oiled precision, clutch meatier than most moderns but lighter than my recollections of the 365 GT 2+2. Impressively comfortable ride thanks to comfortable seats and high profile tyres. Patchy road dispatched in smooth silence on the ride front. Ever present growl of the V12. A sort of meshing smoothness at an easy cruise at 3000rpm.

Gearchange surprisingly smooth and notch-free despite reports that the early rear transaxle Ferrari's had notchy gearchanges. Not the case here! A lovely oiled mechanical feel to making gear changes. With fingertips move gear lever into the next gear, no need to look where it is (although the open gate is a joy to look at) as it moves with precision to where it needs to go. Feel the gears engage through your fingertips before releasing the clutch. Smooth satisfying progress with fast but not rushed gearchanges adding to the feel and satisfaction of this thoroughbred. Plenty of torque means no need to rush the gear changes. The steering wheel writhes gently in lightly held hands with the car remaining stable and smooth. This car is about feel transmitted through the fingertips. Listen to the messages she sends you through your fingertips on the large and thin wooden steering wheel rim and on the elegant gear lever. The rewards are huge as car and driver talk to one another, as long as the driver listens to the flow of messages being transmitted, whether gently cruising along or powering on with authority.

A lovely GT that would be a delight to cruise down to Monaco in one go if the mood so took one. Time to explore another facet of this car's personality. Into neutral, blip the throttle, and down into fourth. Floor the long travel throttle about two thirds. Instant pick up from from the torquey yet free-revving motor. Another flow of messages as the back squats down under power, the nose lifts and she flies! At 4000 rpm the engine note hardens from a smooth meshing to a hard-edged growl, and the shove is felt in the small of the back. Wind rustle at the pillars makes itself heard but that V12 dominates. As it should. Beyond 6000rpm and the V12 screams, more messages as the hairs on the back of the neck stand up. Music and motion, fast forward, combine to turn this GT into a very fast, exciting thoroughbred sports car.

Time to hand her back to her generous owner and enjoy the sensations as he skillfully takes her through some bends and onto the highway. The car remains planted through the bends, light and agile yet secure and stable. Sensational performance now, it must have been unbelievable back in 1966! Drive this car like a modern is to miss the joy of driving her. Rather drive her through the fingertips and listen to and respond to the flow of messages. Whether cruising or blasting past the slower traffic along the Mulsanne, becoming one with this masterpiece, getting a taste of the Ferrari legend. That will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Sounds to me like a perfect communication between the human driver and the mechanical car in symphony. Thank you for your report, Vitalone. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
It was great watching you drive her, Vitalone, I learnt some things! One can tell you grew up on the sister car.

The weather is gorgeous at the moment - I"m taking her out of the garage again in 10mins!

We're just going to see what the progress is with the TVR Griffith. Great excuse to drive her again! And then she'll be treated to a nice wash.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Beautifully written. Felt like I was there watching.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Gearchange surprisingly smooth and notch-free despite reports that the early rear transaxle Ferrari's had notchy gearchanges. Not the case here! A lovely oiled mechanical feel to making gear changes. With fingertips move gear lever into the next gear, no need to look where it is (although the open gate is a joy to look at) as it moves with precision to where it needs to go. Feel the gears engage through your fingertips before releasing the clutch. Smooth satisfying progress with fast but not rushed gearchanges adding to the feel and satisfaction of this thoroughbred. Plenty of torque means no need to rush the gear changes. The steering wheel writhes gently in lightly held hands with the car remaining stable and smooth. This car is about feel transmitted through the fingertips. Listen to the messages she sends you through your fingertips on the large and thin wooden steering wheel rim and on the elegant gear lever. The rewards are huge as car and driver talk to one another, as long as the driver listens to the flow of messages being transmitted, whether gently cruising along or powering on with authority.
Excellent recount, for a moment I felt like I was driving it.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Felt like I was there watching.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post

Onno
Excellent and thanks. We need to plan another get together.

Fantastic 330 GTC.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Owner

Quote:
We need to plan another get together.
Yes, I agree.

Onno

post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Thanks for the kind words gentlemen and to JazzyO for treating me to a drive in this truly magnificent Ferrari. There is nothing like a front engined, 2-seater, V12 Ferrari. The heart of the legend.

Yes let's get together soon. FLED 2 was one of the greatest driving experiences and times of my life! And I am looking so forward to hitting the twisty roads again in the little red berlinetta, complete with new Birdman's fusebox, radiator fans and fine tuning by a true Ferrari craftsman. Not to mention those wide tyres on subtle gold rims.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Not to mention those wide tyres on subtle gold rims.
Just the opportunity to see those rims again is reason enough to organize another run.
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Great report Vitalone !
You should propose your talent of writer to a Car Magazine Editor .(and Test cars for them of course )

Onno ,The Music of the V12 in the high rev is fantastic .
Vitalone said above 6000 rev/min but How high do you allow yourself to push the car to get that sound ? (is it possible to have the rev on the screen with the VBox/GTC)

Great video ,I hope you'll also make one with the 365 Boxer !
post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Owner

I'll rev the V12 to close to its max, around 6500 or so, but not that often. I am very careful not to get too close to the 7k redline.

It is possible to get the rev counter on screen in the video with modern cars if they output that data from their computer. I assume it is possible with an old car like this as well, there probably is a sensor or something that transfers the analog signals into digital. But I won't be going to those lengths.

The Boxer will be subject to a video too, of course, in due time.

Onno

post #13 of 16 Old 04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I'll rev the V12 to close to its max, around 6500 or so, but not that often. I am very careful not to get too close to the 7k redline.

It is possible to get the rev counter on screen in the video with modern cars if they output that data from their computer. I assume it is possible with an old car like this as well, there probably is a sensor or something that transfers the analog signals into digital. But I won't be going to those lengths.

The Boxer will be subject to a video too, of course, in due time.

Onno
Have you set up a youtube channel?
post #14 of 16 Old 04-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Owner

Quote:
Have you set up a youtube channel?
Not really adverse with that sort of thing yet, and I'm about to jump on a plane again going to limited internet access. But I'll see if I can do something when I get back.

Onno

post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 31
wish i have some quality time like that
post #16 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Not really adverse with that sort of thing yet, and I'm about to jump on a plane again going to limited internet access. But I'll see if I can do something when I get back.

Onno
I beleive Andrew has set up a FL youtube channel. He should be able to host your videos if interested.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode