Daytona Commute - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Daytona Commute

Inspired by Jimmy write ups on commuting in his 275 GTB/4 and Daytona, with not a cloud in sight on a crisp late winter morning, I decided to drive the Daytona to the office today.

Up went the garage door, pop the long hood, unplug the battery conditioner, and drop into the snug bucket behind the large slim leather covered steering wheel. Disconnect the alarm, insert the key, and turn 2 notches to the right. Wait and listen to the pumps filling the webers, as the clicking slows, turn the key one more notch to the right and give it a bit of gas. After 10 seconds, the beast awakens (and probably so does half the neighborhood). Open the drivers and head back into the house to lock everything up while the Daytona slowly warms up. After 10 minutes, it is back to the car, toss the briefcase in the boot and settle in behind the steering wheel. Quick glace over the right shoulder, and slow back out of the garage. Now comes the upper body work out as you need to muscle the Daytona slowly out of the driveway and onto the street. Once we start rolling, everything begins to lighten up nicely. Quick shift up from 1st to 3rd (forget 2nd until the engine is fully warmed which given that it is 0 C out 2nd gear has the day off) and use the massive torque of the V12 to pull us along sedately.

Once we have cleared the town and there are no signs of frost on the side of the road, the right foot extends a bit and the rpms begin to climb. As the engine is slow to warm, we keep it around 3000 rpm for the 1st half of the drive. We have now settled into a nice flow as we run across country to the highway. A couple of quick tests of the brakes, and they seem to be working well. I also use the time to run through a test of all the lights, signals, etc in the cabin, with the exception of the heating, all is spot on. The heating in the Daytona seems to be as pathetic as the air-conditioning. Mental note to self to check all the connections later. It is now onto the highway and the interchange goes smoothly. We are quickly up to speed and I drop into 5th to cruise right at the speed limit at just over 3000 rpms. After 10 minutes, cruising like this you begin to imagine just continuing for another 10 hours and driving straight down to Monaco. The drivers seat in the Daytona is a great place to start any day.

After 10 miles it is off the highway and back onto smaller roads. Coming off the ramp a gentleman on a big sports bike slows and waves me in. He then pulls up along side, gives a big thumbs up before disappearing at the next traffic light. 10 minutes later, we pull into the office garage, and the fun ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
That was a great reading, Boxer. Congrats on your first commute in your Daytona ! Wonderful. At least, it sounded like you had a smooth sailing much of the way. As for me, half of the commute is nice, but the remaining half is virtual crawling with the traffic due to endless # of traffic lights, and other obstacles.
Must have felt good to be greeted by strangers complimenting your taste with cars like that. I do have similar encounters quite often, much because you simply do not see Ferraris, let alone such "old" F-cars stuck in city traffic. Besides, thumbs up, smiles, and walk up to talk, now and then I see some individuals in the rear cars whipping out their cellular phones to snap pics (can see via rear view mirror).
Again, ...splendid report. Love to hear more.
Just one thing to mention, that is, I find Daytona's oil temp. gauge to be considerably lower, even after a good run, relative to other F-cars. Not sure why. Not that this is any kind of problem. Thanx again. That put a smile on my face as I was reading your story. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great start to any day Boxer... I'm surprised you were able to tear yourself away from the car and actually go to the office at all

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers

post #4 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 03:53 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Wonderful writing, Boxer. Excellent choice to use it to the office. My suggestion therefore: use it, use it, use it and you will learn to sense everything about your wonderful car.

@heating: I use my Daytona in winter as well as long as the streets are snow-empty and no salt on it. Heating in my car is very effective and fast approaching (although the oil heat gauge never shows > than 65 degrees celsius in winter, even after a 100 miles drive) so you may check yours after several more uses.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Great start to any day Boxer... I'm surprised you were able to tear yourself away from the car and actually go to the office at all
It was hard, did a bit of daydreaming about just continuing down the highway and heading to France for the weekend.
post #6 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
It was hard, did a bit of daydreaming about just continuing down the highway and heading to France for the weekend.
As I stated before, even tho I have never truly been in Europe to know, Daytona is a true GT car made for such usage, crossing the continent for hours in style and grandeur. Love to, one of these days. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #7 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

A few pictures from today
Attached Images

post #8 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
A few pictures from today
Ahhhhh ! Glorious sight, Boxer ! Thank You. Waiting anxiously for more comments.
w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
It's good to see a Ferrari driven as it should be ,there are so many stuck in showrooms.

The heating in a Daytona is usually very good (the AC cold is not).

For your heating problem you should look for that part (photo 1) there is a membrane in it witch can be stuck in the closed position .

This part can be found in this area (photo 2) in each side of the car.

I don't know if the old système can be repaired or if they must be changed for new ones.

It can also be a cable problem connected to this same part...

Hope you'll find the solution.

(thanks to the Daytonaregistry.com for the pics ...#14251)

Name:  119 - copie.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  81.3 KB
Name:  lwb1.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  104.9 KB

One question, what is the brand and size of your tyres ?
post #10 of 42 Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Great story Boxer. However, it left me wondering: don't you have salt on the roads where you live? I'm going to be visiting my 330GTC with Vitalone today after many months but I won't drive her yet, there's still tonnes of crap on the road.

Having said that, the 550 hailed in 2010 on Thursday! It was a short but glorious drive.

I hope you get to take the Daytona frequently out in the next few weeks so you can do some bonding. It's a wonderful thing to get to know such a special car really well.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #11 of 42 Old 03-06-2010, 02:22 AM
Owner

I thought I might mention, in regards to your comment of "pathetic A/C", that it reminded me of the time when I was searching for Daytona, ...I found this Daytona in LA, a US car that was absolute perfection in every sense. The owner took me for a short spin around the block and he was boasting how superb his car was. The engine was the best of the best (sent to Mr. Bill Badurski, Daytona mechanical guru, for overhaul). He showed me the perfection by starting the car in first gear, then stepped on gas and the rpm needle shot up to 7000rpm without a lag or much effort at all.
He proved to me that the A/C can blow frigid cold air, if restored properly, and it was very cold air. I'll throw in some pics of this Daytona. w/ smiles Jimmy
Attached Images

Last edited by Italian Lover; 03-06-2010 at 02:25 AM. Reason: spelling correction
post #12 of 42 Old 03-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Owner

Ooops, forgot to mention my Daytona's A/C,...which is non-performing, meaning it simply blows air. Cannot be bothered to revive the A/C. As you guessed, in summer drive, it does get pretty "warm" in there. Nevertheless, I persevere under non-creature comfort conditions. Besides, it is a lot better than the Dino or 365 BB. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 42 Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona73 View Post
It's good to see a Ferrari driven as it should be ,there are so many stuck in showrooms.

For your heating problem you should look for that part (photo 1) there is a membrane in it witch can be stuck in the closed position .

I don't know if the old système can be repaired or if they must be changed for new ones.

Attachment 21812
Attachment 21813

Much appreciated. Will take a look at both membranes before I take it back out this morning.
post #14 of 42 Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

Attachment 21812
Attachment 21813

Tyres are Bridgestones SF 340 Eager 225/60 front and 235/60 rear. They were on the car when I bought it. Will probably replace them with the correct Michelins at the end of the year.
post #15 of 42 Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 181
Thank you.Boxer.
Quote:
Will take a look at both membranes before I take it back out this morning.
Take a look only ! Because you need to drain the cooling water before dismounting the parts !

I had the occasion to drive a Daytona with Dunlop Racing, on small roads the car needed a lot of steering correction.
I think you will find it easier to drive with the Michelin XWX ,particularly on the small roads. (and your Daytona will be even more beautiful because the tyres are higher and fill the gap)

I have never seen an air box like the one Jimmy has sent ,it must have velocity stacks inside !

Last edited by Daytona73; 03-07-2010 at 09:27 AM.
post #16 of 42 Old 03-07-2010, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you.Boxer.

Take a look only ! Because you need to drain the cooling water before dismounting the parts !

I had the occasion to drive a Daytona with Dunlop Racing, on small roads the car needed a lot of steering correction.
I think you will find it easier to drive with the Michelin XWX ,particularly on the small roads. (and your Daytona will be even more beautiful because the tyres are higher and fill the gap)

I have never seen an air box like the one Jimmy has sent ,it must have velocity stacks inside !
+1 on the airbox, also a first for me.
post #17 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
She looks magnificent Boxer! Black with competizione front spoiler really suits the superb Daytona lines. Please keep the driving and ownership reviews and pics coming!
post #18 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Owner

Keen eyes that you noticed the special cover. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #19 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,028
Bravo, Boxer! Excellent writing style and a great subject!!

Colonel1961
- - - - - - - -
Current: 250 SLX, 8.2L (Sea Ray)
Former: 308 GTS QV; F355B; 360 Modena Spider F1; F430 F1 (2x); 550 Maranello; 599 GTB Fiorano F1; 612 Scaglietti
post #20 of 42 Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
She looks magnificent Boxer! Black with competizione front spoiler really suits the superb Daytona lines. Please keep the driving and ownership reviews and pics coming!
Thanks and fully agree. Quite glad we decided to keep the front spoiler on now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode