Daytona Update & 1st Drive 2010 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Daytona Update & 1st Drive 2010

The Daytona came back just over a week ago and yesterday marked the first opportunity to take it out for a short drive inbetween rain showers. Conditions were less than ideal as the roads were damp with more rain likely at any time. Despite this I decided to head out for a short drive to begin the bonding process.

Key in the ignition, turn to the right, listen to the fuel pumps, as they slow, turn one more notch to the right, the beast awakens, give it a little gas, and we settle into a nice idle. Now comes the check of all the electrics, lights on, fans work, windows work (well kind of, you need patience as they ever so slowly crawl up and down) so far so good. After a few more minutes, we get a bit of heat in the engine, oh so not exactly light clutch in, select reverse, and roll back out of the garage. With the Daytona parked in the middle of the driveway, give it a few more minutes to heat up and do a walk around inspection. Everthing looks good except the fuel gauge is on empty. Clear where our first stop will be.

After a graceful flop back into the one piece bucket mounted behind the steering wheel, slot it into first and off we go. Shortly after clearing the gates, give the brakes a tap and they instantly respond. This is very good news as getting the brakes fully sorted had turned into a major project. Up into 3rd and the car is pulling nicely. After a quick stop for gas (the Daytona has a huge tank) off we headed up one of the main "A" roads. With everything now up to full operating tempature, time to run the gearbox and test the brake. First hard shove on the middle pedal and we have a slight pull to the right, brakes are stone cold thou and pads are new. On the second try, they bite strongly and straight. A couple of more brake tests and my confidence in the Daytona is growing. At this point, we do a quick u-turn and head back. Rain does not seem to far off, but we head off to run a nice twisty road anyway. With a bit of speed, the steering lightens up brilliantly and the corners begin to flow nicely. Even forty years later, the engine is highly impressive. It pulls very strongly and never seems to run out of grunt. Being a bit lazy, I just leave it in 3rd and take advantage of the massive torque as we wind out way up and then back down through the hills.

With the sky darkening back we head. Once in the garage I let it run for a few minutes to check the cooling fans. As soon as the temp gauge hits 90, they come immediately on. Another good sign and a good end to a successful short first drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
Except for the weather, sounds like a start of a beautiful relationship, Boxer. A word of advice or two, try not to lower the windows beyond the letters in those glasses, which would slow the motor consideralbly. That is about three-quarter down. Sounds like a well sorted Daytona. Should be able to enjoy the tremendous HP, torque and razor sharp response. More comments awaited. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #3 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,392
Nice write-up Boxer. As Jimmy says, the start of a beautiful friendship (queue Bogart voice).

Early days yet but I have a feeling she may be with you for a while. Looking forward to some pics - Daytona's are gorgeous in black but you don't see them that often.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Finally the long awaited first report! Wish you many more wonderful drives with your "new" Ferrari!
post #5 of 18 Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Thanks. Blue skys but frost this morning. If it warms up and I can get out of the office on the early side (probably dreaming), might try to go out for another drive later today.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 02:05 AM
Owner

One thing that I have noticed is that the steering on a 365 Boxer is fairly heavy but very direct, and you sit close to the front wheels which makes placing the car once you're moving very easy and accurate. On my 330GTC you get the feeling that the steering is further away from you, you sit basically on the rear axle. The 330 is not that light to steer at parking speeds either, by the way.

I'm guessing that the Daytona fits nicely in the middle of these two in terms of feel - would that be a reasonable assumption?

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
One thing that I have noticed is that the steering on a 365 Boxer is fairly heavy but very direct, and you sit close to the front wheels which makes placing the car once you're moving very easy and accurate. On my 330GTC you get the feeling that the steering is further away from you, you sit basically on the rear axle. The 330 is not that light to steer at parking speeds either, by the way.

I'm guessing that the Daytona fits nicely in the middle of these two in terms of feel - would that be a reasonable assumption?

Onno
Personally, I found the parking speed handling of the steering on the 330 GTC always much easier than with the Daytona, also on your car, Onno. Once driving above 40-50 mph it starts to equal.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 04:39 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Personally, I found the parking speed handling of the steering on the 330 GTC always much easier than with the Daytona, also on your car, Onno. Once driving above 40-50 mph it starts to equal.
No experience myself with 330, but I can attest to the fact that Daytona is indeed heavy, mainly because of the front V12. Whereas BB is "lighter" because the engine is behind. My Daytona has a wood steering wheel with relatively large diameter for more ease to turn ? w/ smiles Jimmy
post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 4,348
Great to hear the Daytona is back on the roads. Sounds like the 1st test run was enjoyable. Some pics in the near future....?

Ferrari's: 360 Modena, 550 Maranello
Ex's: Dino 308 GT4, 612 Scaglietti
The Rest: Rolls Royce Silver Shadow, Porsche 911 2.7s, Porsche 911 3.2 Carerra, Ducati 916... and the Land Rovers
post #10 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 212Export View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
No experience myself with 330, but I can attest to the fact that Daytona is indeed heavy, mainly because of the front V12. Whereas BB is "lighter" because the engine is behind. My Daytona has a wood steering wheel with relatively large diameter for more ease to turn ? w/ smiles Jimmy
Thanks guys. But I was primarily interested in the difference in feel at speed; how the car positions itself "listening" to your inputs - I think I didn't express myself very clearly. To me there is a marked difference between the way the 330GTC turns in and the way the Boxer does.

Onno

post #11 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Conditions were less than ideal as the roads were damp with more rain likely at any time. Despite this I decided to head out for a short drive to begin the bonding process.
Dratt. Didn't get your text until I pulled up at Hyde Park at 9:30ish. I then headed out to your neck of the woods to toddle round on my own before my room at T5 Sofitel was ready. Hit the Windsor area just about the time you launched the Daytona. Should have called you back I guess. I might have missed you by just minutes depending on your route. Didn't see any other Fcars on the road but there were 3 others parked up at the Sofitel - 2 x 599 + 1 x modern Cali. Shitty day all round until about 10:15pm. After that it turned out to be one of the best days ever, although it was very, very tight. I thought the only difference was we wanted it more. Proud to be a Canadian.

Last edited by Boxer; 03-01-2010 at 09:46 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks guys. But I was primarily interested in the difference in feel at speed; how the car positions itself "listening" to your inputs - I think I didn't express myself very clearly. To me there is a marked difference between the way the 330GTC turns in and the way the Boxer does.

Onno
In that case, I believe it feels quite different at speed. Main reason is the engines' location (front vs. rear), driving positions (BB is tighter), ride height difference (BB lower stance), et al. At least to me, seems to be that BB is a bit more "heavy" (maybe because the steering wheel is smaller). Nevertheless, the overall drive "feel" is quite different between the two. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #13 of 18 Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:

Onno
My guess it the Daytona is much closer to the 330 GTC. From the passenger seat, the front wheels are a long way off. It does lighten up nicely at speed but still very different feel from a mid engine Ferrari. More a sensation of smoothly guiding vs quick and percise.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Owner

Yes, that sounds much closer to the 330GTC. I noticed that you really need to let the GTC flow, let it dance through the curves, that's the way the car feels best - let her make the decisions if you will. Quite different from the Boxer which is direct and much more precise.

Onno

post #15 of 18 Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes, that sounds much closer to the 330GTC. I noticed that you really need to let the GTC flow, let it dance through the curves, that's the way the car feels best - let her make the decisions if you will. Quite different from the Boxer which is direct and much more precise.

Onno
Personally found the same difference between the 360 and the 550/575.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Personally found the same difference between the 360 and the 550/575.
All this sounds logical if you step back and analyze the position/location of driver in relation to engine, where driver is situated between front and rear wheels, and so forth. Naturally, the drive sensations are different because of the physics. (I think ?). w/ smiles Jimmy
post #17 of 18 Old 03-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,130
Looking forward, Boxer, to seeing pics and hearing more driving impressions of this dramatic Daytona once you get the opportunity to take her for a good drive. Roll on Spring!
post #18 of 18 Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalone View Post
Looking forward, Boxer, to seeing pics and hearing more driving impressions of this dramatic Daytona once you get the opportunity to take her for a good drive. Roll on Spring!
With Boxer's driving skills, he should be experiencing a thunderous experience with such a macho car. +1 Vitalone. w/ smiles Jimmy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode