Dinosaur needs help - Page 3 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 44 Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 9,567
nothing says thrilled like that expression. When is your next planned outing?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 Old 12-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,738
That is one, happy Dinosaur ! Much too often, one sees impeccably restored car simply becoming an untouchable trophy, garage queen, trailer queen. Admiral, you have my utmost respect because you did all that and enjoying the perfection in motion. A wonderful sight, indeed. Thank you. w/ smiles Jimmy
post #43 of 44 Old 12-27-2009, 03:06 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Goodwrench View Post
Dear 212Export,

There is absolutely no doubt that the transaxle noise is quite loud and the pitch of the whine is higher than the scream of the exhaust which starts low and guttural and rises in timbre with the rpms. It is not a bearing sound as the all the bearings are new. I strongly suspect it has to do with the transaxle design. At the rear end of the third motion (output) shaft of the transmission part of the transaxle there is a hypoid bevel gear which engages with another similarly cut gear on a cross shaft which also carries a spur cut gear which in turn drives the crown wheel or differential carrier gear. I believe this combination of gears is what leads to the whine or noise. It is also possible that the noise emanates from the two Hookes type universal joints within the differential or from the act of the sliding "chiclets" in the ZF type limited slip differential, however I lean towards the gears as being the source of the noise.

The attached shows a schematic of the arrangement I just described and the next photo is of the actual gears. This transaxle design was for the race cars and provides twenty one different possible final drive ratios from which to select the proper one for a given track. The last photo is of the various components of the differential part of the transaxle.

Best regards,

Robert
Dear Admiral,
To my limited knowledge, curved cut cogs engage in relative silence whereas strait cut cogs always create a terrible whine. However, straight cut cogs are much stronger which make them useful in racing. Their higher strength also admits minor dimensions saving weight.

Best regards,
il Capolino

post #44 of 44 Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS View Post
That is one, happy Dinosaur ! Much too often, one sees impeccably restored car simply becoming an untouchable trophy, garage queen, trailer queen. Admiral, you have my utmost respect because you did all that and enjoying the perfection in motion. A wonderful sight, indeed. Thank you. w/ smiles Jimmy
Agreed! enjoy
Attached Images

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode