The good and the bad between 360 and F430!! - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 10
The good and the bad between 360 and F430!!

Hello everyone!!

Ferrari has always been my dream car! I am in the market of one. It is either a 360 or a F430. I don't have any knowledge about Ferrari for I have never own one before. I know that 360 has 400hp with 275 lbs torque. And of course, F430 has more power. Could anyone chime in and explain the good, the bad, the different between 360 and F430? Cost to own? Maintenance?

Thank you!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0817 View Post
Hello everyone!!

Ferrari has always been my dream car! I am in the market of one. It is either a 360 or a F430. I don't have any knowledge about Ferrari for I have never own one before. I know that 360 has 400hp with 275 lbs torque. And of course, F430 has more power. Could anyone chime in and explain the good, the bad, the different between 360 and F430? Cost to own? Maintenance?

Thank you!

Mike
As the 430 is an evolution of the 360, the differences are not huge. Only place you will see a real difference in the power will be on the track on a straight. 430 is a more complex car and general maintenance cost can be a bit higher on an annual basis. However the 430 does have chains so you don't need to worry about cambelt changes every 3 years (as per the 360). Buying price on a 430 will still be considerably higher with plenty of depreciation left. 360 is nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve so total ownership cost over 2-3 years will be lower.

Suggest you test drive both and see which you prefer.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
As the 430 is an evolution of the 360, the differences are not huge. Only place you will see a real difference in the power will be on the track on a straight. 430 is a more complex car and general maintenance cost can be a bit higher on an annual basis. However the 430 does have chains so you don't need to worry about cambelt changes every 3 years (as per the 360). Buying price on a 430 will still be considerably higher with plenty of depreciation left. 360 is nearing the bottom of the depreciation curve so total ownership cost over 2-3 years will be lower.

Suggest you test drive both and see which you prefer.
Also suggest you take a look at the Sales Brochures for both. You can download pdf copies: http://www.ferrarilife.com/members/brochures.php

along with the 360 Buyers Guide: http://www.ferrarilife.com/library/guides.php

post #4 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
And the reality of the two cars is that they are identical underneath.

There are subtle differences in the engine and drive train but biggest differences are cosmetic, shift times (F1), etc.

Not a huge difference between the cars as many think. There are considerable "seat of the pants" differences but I believe a great deal of that comes from the mind knowing the 430 is a newer model.

Boxer outlined a few essentials.

I believe the 360 is a better looking car in all aspects but that can be a personal choice.

Drive both and then decide which you like best.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the info. :-)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Btw, how much does it cost to replace the cambelt for the 360?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Btw, how much does it cost to replace the cambelt for the 360?
It is done as part of the major service. On the 360 it is an engine in job so much less expensive than on the 348/F355. Will likely run around $2000-$3000 depending on if you have it done at an independent or official dealer.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Owner

Cost will also depend upon where you are located and if you need actual tensioner replacements and tensioner bearings.

The belts from Ferrari are about USD$250.00 for the pair. That's peanuts, but tensioner bearings are about USD$500.00/pair (Hill Engineering makes the best regardless of what Ferrari claims). The actual tensioner unit is about another USD$300-$500.00, and it's the left bank that is critical (#'s 5-8). There was a Technical Service Bulletin issued on this and the mounting bolts for the tensioner.

So this gives an idea of parts.

Labor varies for the actual work from USD$900 - $1,500.00.

So, Boxer's estimate is close to what it will probably cost.

Then again if you are doing belts it pays to change fulids and it's much easier to bleed cooling system with engine access hatch open as aell as changing all the additional power belts.

Much will depend upon where you are mileage and service time wise.

Hope this helps.

As you figured out, it's not a Ford!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Boxer and Gcalo.

I've found a 2002 - 360 in florida with 14,xxx. 15K miles service just got done but it has a rebuild title. Asking price is $69K. Is this a good buy? Also, when would the next service be?

Some say that it is not a good idea to buy the very first year of the vehicle; I believe it would be 1999? Should I look for 2000 and above?

Thank you very much!

Mike

Link for car
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Owner

The vehicle year is unimportant. The 99's actually are a bit peppier cause they don't have pre-cats. However, you have to make sure the variator campaign has been done.

I would be very concerned about a rebuild title. You need to find out the extent of damage and what shop did the work. Ferrari's are all aluminum and there are very few approved body shops for this work.

The next major service would be 30K miles or 3 years HOWEVER it all depends on what service was done recently.

My message - don't trust what you are being told. Trust the paperwork which backs up the work.

BTW, don't be in a hurry to buy a car. I'd rather have a 2000 with no "rebuild" title than an 04 with a "rebuild" title.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Gcalo! I'm not in a hurry to pick up one right now. I'm still in the process of learning about Ferrari. I'll take your advice and wait for a good deal to come since prices are depreciating so bad right now for any luxury vehicles.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Owner

That's very good thinking. No rush.

It's like chosing a woman. Check them all, test drive a few, and then take your time making a final decision.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Thank you Boxer and Gcalo.

I've found a 2002 - 360 in florida with 14,xxx. 15K miles service just got done but it has a rebuild title. Asking price is $69K. Is this a good buy? Also, when would the next service be?

Some say that it is not a good idea to buy the very first year of the vehicle; I believe it would be 1999? Should I look for 2000 and above?

Thank you very much!

Mike

Link for car
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Rebuild title is OK if the work was:

- done by a Ferrari approved body shop that has be qualified to work on the 360 (you will need to inspect all the paperwork and call the dealer who did the work)

- it passes an independent inspection

however there are plenty of 360s on the market so I am not sure it is worth going through the hassle of running down the history on this car.

Might be worther giving Mike Sheehan a call (www.ferraris-online.com) to see what he has available, check the FCA classifieds (http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/classifieds.cfm) and the Ferrari Market Letter classifieds (http://www.ferrarimarketletter.com/).
post #14 of 14 Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Boxer and Gcalo. You guys had been very helpful. I'm going to shop around a bit. It is not worth going through at that hassle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode