Replacement Tires for 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Replacement Tires for 360

Couple of questions for you guys regarding tires for my 2004 360:

1. I am at about 7800 miles and I suspect that the tread might be a little worn for driver's school at the FCA annual gathering. Since I did not buy the car new, I do not know what the tread looked like originally though. I am going to do a tech inspection in June, but curious as to know whether needing new tires at 7800 miles would be considered premature wear (assuming normal driving).

2. If I do need to replace such, any recommendations on brands?

3. Do I need to have an authorized Ferrari do the installation, or can any respectable tire intaller that does European cars do it (like the shop that does my BMW)?

4. The FCA rep that called me about the school suggested that I bring extra brake pads. Any suggestions on what I should get?

Thanks, Louis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by louman3 View Post

1. I am at about 7800 miles ---7800 miles would be considered premature wear (assuming normal driving).
- hard to answer. It would depend upon tire make and how you used the car. Your tires are now nearly 5 years old not and may be getting a bit brittle to use on the track. If there is considerable wear I'd buy new tires.

Quote:
- Michelin PS2's. Pirelli's are good but are super soft and wear fast especially for track usage. I'd go slight oversizes as well.

Quote:
3. Do I need to have an authorized Ferrari do the installation, or can any respectable tire intaller that does European cars do it (like the shop that does my BMW)?
-Of course not. Keep dealing with your local shop.

Quote:
4. The FCA rep that called me about the school suggested that I bring extra brake pads. Any suggestions on what I should get?
-contact [email protected]. He has great pads (and rotors) and they are one of the few pads to accommodate the OEM wear sensors.

BTW, you will not like the wording of the release they will require you to sign! I would ask for a copy in advance so you can decide if you want to accept the risks!
post #3 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Owner

I ran the sizes on the tire calculator, and I am assuming you have the OEM tires.

So you could go:

225/45-18 fronts
285/40-18 rears

These are the next oversize that fit the OEM rims and are quite close to OEM specs.

You would notice much better handling especially with the PS2 Michelins.

As to the age of your tires, read the Tire Identification Numbers (TIN).

There are 4 numbers that are sometimes preceded by a few letters. But they will read like - 5107.

That's the 51st week of 2007.

So check the age of your original tires.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:

1. I am at about 7800 miles and I suspect that the tread might be a little worn for driver's school at the FCA annual gathering. Since I did not buy the car new, I do not know what the tread looked like originally though. I am going to do a tech inspection in June, but curious as to know whether needing new tires at 7800 miles would be considered premature wear (assuming normal driving).

Thanks, Louis.
My 2 cents:

1. Depending on driving style, it is within the realm of normal wear. A bit on the short side but not unheard of. If they still have decent thread and are fairly new (check the date code), then I would replace them after the FCA gathering.

2. For normal road driving I would recommend the Michelins. The Pirellis tend to wear to fast IMHO and don't have a lot of grip in the wet.

3. Any qualified shop should be fine.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Thanks guys. Very helpful.

post #6 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
My 2 cents:

1. Depending on driving style, it is within the realm of normal wear. A bit on the short side but not unheard of. If they still have decent thread and are fairly new (check the date code), then I would replace them after the FCA gathering.

2. For normal road driving I would recommend the Michelins. The Pirellis tend to wear to fast IMHO and don't have a lot of grip in the wet.

3. Any qualified shop should be fine.
Good advice.

I need rears on my 612, but waited until after my track day as I didn't want to tear up a new set. May as well get the most from them, especially if they tear in the kitty litter (Thankfully didn't happen).

On the brakes side of things, I noticed massive brake fade after 5 hard laps, and had to come in to let them cool down. Wear on the pads was minimal, and i was able to go out again later. But someone suggested if I was thinking of going again I should change the brake fluid. It was suggested the fade was caused by the brake fluid boiling, and by using a higher spec fluid I could reduce the effect (Ceramics are out of the question). Any comments?

On tyre fitting, the 612 has tyre pressure sensors and the local garage said he did not have the correct equipment to set these. Any Comments.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Owner

Your brake fluid could be boiling or getting very hot but consider that you can also warp your rotors with that heat. That's an expensive issue on a 612!

I'd take a look at Girodisc two piece rotors. They are lighter, cool faster, and don't transfer all that heat to the wheel bearings. contact [email protected]

I'd try the Motul RBF600 or Pertosin brake fluids.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 226
Garage
I just replaced my tires with PS2s and 19 inch ball polished F430 rims. I am loving the look and the ride. I think the pictures say it all.
Attached Images

post #9 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Owner

Stunning and a BIG difference.

I am always amazed how some folks think Ferrari's look best with the original wheels!

Your 360 looks fabulous with the 430 rims.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 226
Garage
Thanks.
post #11 of 21 Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
The 360 does look great on the 430 rims.....

back to the tyre question, for what it's worth i put bridgestones on mine last year and have just changd the rears after, wait for it......18,000 miles. the wear rate is amazing and they provide excellent all weather grip, feel and handling.
really impressed with them so if you want an altrernative to Michelins they are worth a look.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
The BBS Challenge rims also look very good on the 360 Spider.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Replacement for PS2

Gentlemen - Great thread. I'm looking to replace my set of Michelin PS2 (due to age) and wanted to buy the Michelin Super Sports. Unfortuantely, it looks like Michelin isn't offering the Super Sport in my size (for the 360). All I've ever used on my cars is Michelin, so I'm a bit bummed by the news and not really sure what brand to jump to.

My mechanic is recommending Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. Any thoughts or experience with this tire as compared to Michelins?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 44
Well as i said earlier in this thread I'm very pleased indeed with the performance of the Bridgestones i have.

They wear well, give excellent fee in terms of grip and are pretty good in the wet...

My driving style may not be the same as most but the tyres handle pretty much all i throw at them and never leave me feeling like i need more grip or feel.

So in short, go for them ( i think they're cheaper than the Michelin's as well)
post #15 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 66
Gents - I wanted to loop back to let you know that I ended up getting the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11. Although not fair for me to make a comparison to 10yr old Michelins, I agree with others on this thread that the Bridgestones are nice. I'm pleased and would also recommend them. What I've noticed most is the grip upon acceleration. No slippage... amazing! I'm looking forward to really wearing them in on some windy roads.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
I was always under the impression its best to change you tyres after a track day as you will put a lot of wear on them, best to kill off an older, worn set. You will also get better grip from worn in tyres due to lower tread blocks which don't flex as much.

A simple change for track use of racing brake fluid, won't cost anywhere near as much as new rotors (as you call them). The FOC here in the UK has partnered with Performance Friction to offer appropriate pads and discs (as we call them) so an option worth checking out.

Having had to change my tyres last week I was told that going oversize ie 225 not 215 as originally fitted (front) may confuse the electronics due to the car expecting fronts to rotate at a set ratio to the rears and therefore constantly bring the traction control into effect. I put Bridstone Potenza SO2s on, to match the rears and had a fabulous day yesterday hillclimbing at Prescott. Not ideal use of new tyres but my changing of them was enforced by a sidewall rip and no way was I going to miss the event.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 11,881
As long as the ratio between front and rear tires does not exceed ~4% differential from OEM, ABS/TC operation is not affected. Switching from 215s to 225s is not enough to affect that ratio differential and can also be offset by using taller rear tires. Tire size is not an issue, front to rear differential is what is important.

Taz
Terry Phillips

Present: 575M 135171
Past: Dino 246 GT 02984, 365 GTB/4 14009, 308 GTS 25125

Every day I look around, and if nobody is shooting at me, it is a pretty good day.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 151
thanks Taz, great info
post #19 of 21 Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 19
If you decide to go with 19s. I recommend getting:

Front: 225/35/19 or 235/35/19
Rear: 285/35/19
post #20 of 21 Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazandjan View Post
As long as the ratio between front and rear tires does not exceed ~4% differential from OEM, ABS/TC operation is not affected. Switching from 215s to 225s is not enough to affect that ratio differential and can also be offset by using taller rear tires. Tire size is not an issue, front to rear differential is what is important.
I thought that this refers only to 4wd cars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode