360 Question - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
360 Question

Great forum fellas. I have a couple quick questions as I'm looking for a nice 360 that I would put 4-5k in miles per year on. Any specific year better than others? also why do the prices continue to drop on these and where is the bottom? I'm also torn between cope and spyder. Any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Happy New Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 06:54 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I too have been considering getting a 360 at some point, based on my studies there are a few things to be concerned about.

1. Service history is important, some time gaps in history are probably acceptable as long the last service was very recently done by a reputable shop, with records.

2. For 1999 through 2001 cars...the Cam Variators should have been upgraded.

3. Watch for evidence of frame cracking issues around the engine and rear suspension.

4. A repaint of the nose is common and doesn't detract from the car if done right.

5. I've heard that sometimes there are problems with the exhaust headers.

6. Get a good PPI by an experienced technician prior to purchase.

Cars after 2002 have all these issues corrected. But any previous cars with these issues fixed is just as good as a later car. The 1999 year is probably the lightest and fastest of all 360s, the later cars got weighted down with additional emissions and safety stuff.

The reason for dropping values is OBVIOUSLY the current economy, but also because they made so many cars, somewhere around 16,000. This is the highest single model production every by Ferrari. So they aren't rare at all.

I prefere a 6-speed manual car, because I like more interaction with the car and an enhanced driving experience. Another benefit of manuals is fewer gizmos to go bad. I've heard that F-1 tranmission cars tend to have shorter clutch life and manuals. But there are owners how there who say this isn't true.

Read through the 360 Buyer's Guide on this website for more information.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
What Carguy stated pretty well covers the situation.

Service records are important.

I would think by now all early model cars have had the variator update and if you have the records you'll find evidence of that.

I suggest you find a 6 speed. The F1's age and present considerable problems.

Coupe Vs. Spider is a personal choice. I prefer the coupe cause I don't like the look of the 360 spider, and I do not want to deal with top mechanism issues.

As to values, in this market everything has lost value.

Stick with a color other than red and your can will have more value.

Great cars and very enjoyable. Enjoy one.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
Thanks for the great info. I think I'm leaning towards a 2001 6spd coupe.
For a nice one does 80k sound about right?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPLAYER View Post
Great forum fellas. I have a couple quick questions as I'm looking for a nice 360 that I would put 4-5k in miles per year on. Any specific year better than others? also why do the prices continue to drop on these and where is the bottom? I'm also torn between cope and spyder. Any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Happy New Year
Great cars and better than the 430 in my opinion. I purchased my 2003 two years ago and installed the Haman aero kit, wing, 10x19 fronts and 13x19 rear Haman rims, capristo 3 exhaust and headers, and challenge grill. I also spent over $20K worth of carbon fiber for the interior. Prices are the lowest I have ever seen them now. I own a spider and traded my 2002 coupe for the spider. Extremely user friendly and will always look sharp.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBPLAYER View Post
Thanks for the great info. I think I'm leaning towards a 2001 6spd coupe.
For a nice one does 80k sound about right?
They were trading around $200K just a couple of years ago. What a steal. Cheaper than a Porsche.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
I think that price is quite a bit low despite the economic conditions and I would be very careful.

Make sure you are not buying on price because there could be surprises later. Items such as fender shields and challenge grille affect price.

Be careful about service records as well. Make sure you have them.

The low price could indicate deferred maintenance.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode