Badges 360 & 328? - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
Badges 360 & 328?

While looking at some 360 & 328s i noticed that some did not have the Ferrari emblem (badge) on the fenders.
Did they come from the factory with the badges?
Is this something to be concerned with? I was just concerned that maybe these cars may have been re-painted or wrecked.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 453
Na it was a choice, some came with wing badges and some did not. The 328 had stick on plastic ones if wanted. The 360s only had metal ones fitted at the factory. Any Ferraris that did not have badges fitted at the factory and the second plus owner wanted them, could and still do buy Factory plastic sticky ones as well as aftermarket metal ones if they preferred.
Some like em some hate em. Its a choice thing. My self i have metal ones that i fitted, take a look at my cars pictures in the 355 section. They look great
A note about factory fitted badges on the 360s. The factory always recessed/indented the wings so the badge sat snugly in the indents. After market ones simply sit on to. But the after market badges are so thin now that they sit as flat a the factory ones.
Hope this helps If not .....do i care
post #3 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 39
chaz thanks for the information.
You have a great looking 355.

I do prefer the badge on the car. It gives it that racing look.

post #4 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
The badges or "shields" are an expensive factory option. They are about $1,800.00 on the 360/430, but the cost is not just for the shields.

The fenders are indented (as Chaz said) to accommodate the shields so the shields do not protrude beyond the smooth line of the body panels.

So the extra cost is for the different fenders and apparently the additional time required to arrange the order and to install the shields.

They are a beautiful option which really make the car a bit classier.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
I had the stick on plastic ones on my 328

Archie
post #6 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
They are standard on the F40, F50, and Enzo.
post #7 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:08 AM
Owner

There is a person named Toshi (?) who does fabulous ceramic replicas.

Those would be better than plastic.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Owner

There are other badges as good and better than the Yoshi shields. I was in fact one of the first to buy the after market metal shields. And believe me i know them all. I shall find one of my old write ups on the various badges
Regarding the plastic badges, i have always said and always will say that why put 2.75p shields on a 100,000 Ferrari?......Think about it Drop the plastic ones guys and go metal, there is no comparison.
Anyways back very shortly, i am going to find one of my write ups
post #9 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Owner

Hers a write up that i did about the diferent wing badges. Mine were made by a dude called Nick who owns a company in So Cal USA, and his company is called DE Porsche.
In the picture bellow with the 6 badges you will see that the bottom right is the standard factory badge fron the 360s, the top right badge is mine and the top left is the Yoshi
Also i have shown my type as a close up and also the Yoshi close up
Included is also some other crappy badges that are for sale
Attached Images

post #10 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Owner

Second instalment
Here is a cut and paste of a conversation that the Yoshi shield maker and my self had on another forum a number of years back. I have also included a comparison pictures of the Yoshi badges and the type i own. Both are high quality metal. my type are the top 4 and the Yoshi type are the two bellow. Both badges are the best on the market though both have there problems that i will cover shortly.
Anyways the cut and paste bellow.........

Quote[ Chas, I'm glad to go over some of the differences for you. First of all. the thickness of the OEM shield is 3mm just like the one you have. However, it is meant to be installed in a shield-shaped recessed area so that the shield does not stick out too much from the fender surface. But, many Ferrari owners do not wish to take their cars to the body shops to make the recess areas just for putting the shields, which also can be very costly. By taking that into consideration, we made our shield thickness to be 1.5mm instead of 3mm, which will still stick out but is not as visible as mounting the 3mm-thick shield on top of the fender surface. As for the design, as noted in the previous post, the italian tri-color bands on top has more flat surface (meaning no clear or visible raised outlines) compared to the OEM and our shields. As for the yellow color, Nick's shield has much darker yellow, which does not match with the yellow color of your nose badge. It might have been corrected to the right yellow color now from looking at your photos. You can easily compare and find out if that is still the case. Now as for the horse design, the left leg at the bottom of the Nic's shield is much skinnier than the one in the OEM shield. The bubble like shapes in the body of the horse are as not as sharply shaped as the OEM shield. The position of the letters "SF" at the bottom is a little bit off. The shape of the shield itself is a little slimmer (width) at the bottom half. As for our shield, except for the thickness of the metal (intentionally modified as explained above) and the color of the green color (a bit darker than it should), the appearance of the shield is exactly the same as the OEM shield at less than 1/5 of the OEM shield price. Hope it was helpful for your reference. Believe me..I have studied and tried so many times during the designing and mfg process to perfect the look of the authenticity. But again, Nick's shields are very nicely made and have the excellent quality. I highly recommend these shields for those who do not care too much as its authenticity.
Attached Images

post #11 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Owner

3rd instalment.
Now the bad points of each metal shield.

Yoshis have a bit of a reputation for slow customer after care. Also straight from the box the shields can need bending into the right shape to fit the wings. In the picture bellow you can see how badly they fit straight from the box. But after a little work with the hands they fit perfect as the picture shows in instalment number 2 above

The shields i use, i found that i had to change for another set 3 years later because the colour fades of slightly. Not that you can tell until you are next to a car with new ones fitted.
Attached Images

post #12 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Owner

4th instalment.
Now the comparison pictures between the cheap 2.75 plastic factory type, and the metal ones that i personally use.
As you can see the plastic ones even though supplied by the Ferrari factory, look cheap and tacky next to the metal ones IMO....sorry guys thats just what i think I think the saying, "you get what you pay for" shows in this area of Ferrari ownership.
Attached Images

post #13 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Owner

Finaly a bad and nasty made metal badge
Attached Images

post #14 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Owner

Dude Chaz

That away to go! Holy smokes. You are a maven! (yiddish for you are the man!!)

I never knew there was so much to badges.

We will all have to shield you from any negative comments about these!
post #15 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post

We will all have to shield you from any negative comments about these!
Brother with you watching my six all is good
post #16 of 24 Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Brother with you watching my six all is good
I would do that for you.

I may need you at Goodwood for security. I'll probably have twenty bucks in my pocket and I'll definitely need protection for that!!! I know you are the man.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203
All the above is good information. Some extra stuff:

- Supercars came standard with shields as the were 'race' type venued cars. Street cars were not supposed to really have them IIRC....that is why some do not like them, but honestly on a Fly Yellow 355: it looks super.

- I sold a pair of Bacaratts to P B-B which are three times thicker and better [basically Ferrai quality] shields but without the rear mounting posts. BTW, Phil/P B-B drives the queen's carriage, is a member here, and has a very nice 348.

- The recess is what makes most shileds a bit nicer and why Yoshi exists. Guessing one could, have that recess made as after market and make it more pro. but, then again not sure what that does to the overall provenance...guessing = nothing if done correctly. Recess on a 456 would be a huge problem: composite hood.

- I tried to mound Yoshi on the MOndial T normal way, then decided to mount via magnets. Affixed to that 3M tape a custom cut metal backing with rubber overseal/thin-tape, but alas, didn't trust the strength of the magnet so the T is now au naturel

- I like the shields, but on the 456 it makes the car look shorter to me, and looks better 'bare'.

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #18 of 24 Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granucci View Post
---looks better 'bare'.
We are talking shields here are we not!
post #19 of 24 Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,203

Guide to the Galaxy: Don't Panic
Rik -- LAH !

Current:
Past:
1990 Mondial T Cabriolet SN 86247 : Red/Tan
1995 456 GT 2+2 SN 99987 : Roso Metalizzato [Fer 311/C] & Tan
post #20 of 24 Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 27
Hey Chaz,

I've been trying to locate Nick from DePorsche but with no luck at all.

Can you post up a link or PM me some contact details please. In the picture above with the 6 shields, the top right has the closest shape and I'd like to go that way on my Testarossa and get rid of the tacky stick on shields.

Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode