Driving F1 Gearbox for F360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Driving F1 Gearbox for F360

Hi Guys,
I am new here. I just bought a Year 01 360. I like the car very much.
Now I have several questions which I hope you can provide some professional advice to me.

F1 gear shifting: I know the F1 gearbox is just a automated manual gearbox. So I am wondering when we change the gear (e.g. 1 to 2, 2 to 3, 3 to 4..), do we need to withdraw the gas pedal or we can just keep continuous to press gas when shift gears? Someone told me that it will hurt the clutch if we don't release the gas pedal when changing gears. Any comment?

Exhaust: My 360 is using OEM exhaust. I am considering to install Capristo. But not sure if the sound difference is worth to change it? I like the Formula I sound on Ferrari..

Victor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,397
I've heard several people say that, yes, it is best to do that.

A Capristo sounds much more racy than a normal Ferrari exhaust, which is strangled due to EU and other regulations. So yes, I think you would like it. However, there are several other manufacturers that you may want to look at such as Tubi Style, X-OST and another couple. They all sound different. Try YouTube for finding some sound clips.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. But I also got lots of comments from other experts that we should not lift the pedal when we change gears. So now I am puzzled.

For Capristo, I need to really consider.

Victor

post #4 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
On the F1, I have been told that it is a bit better to lift off on the gas when changing gears. However it is not mandatory and I rarely do it in the 360 Challenge.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-01-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. They told me that if lift the pedal on changing gears, it will protect the clutch better.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
it's easier on the clutch if you lift, but better for the performance if you don't lift

so it makes sense that you don't lift on the 360 Challenge, Boxer, but on a road car I'd lift unless I was "on the mood"

specially considering the price of Ferrari's clutches

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #7 of 14 Old 10-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
it's easier on the clutch if you lift, but better for the performance if you don't lift

so it makes sense that you don't lift on the 360 Challenge, Boxer, but on a road car I'd lift unless I was "on the mood"

specially considering the price of Ferrari's clutches
Sorry for beating a dead horse but.....................

IM surprised by the numerous answers to the lift or not to lift debate with the F1 shifter.

Since the 360 & newer F1 models have electronic throttle control, it lifts for you during shifts.

Depending on throttle position, it's either very smooth (light throttle application) or abrupt (full throttle). Either way it retards the throttle during shifts, period!

If you lift & pull back on the paddle to shift, the car will jerk/surge 9 times out of 10.

Just maintain throttle position & shift away. Let all those little Italian electrons do the work to make you look like a shifting pro.

"M"
post #8 of 14 Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 483
F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sled Driver View Post
Sorry for beating a dead horse but.....................

IM surprised by the numerous answers to the lift or not to lift debate with the F1 shifter.

Since the 360 & newer F1 models have electronic throttle control, it lifts for you during shifts.

Depending on throttle position, it's either very smooth (light throttle application) or abrupt (full throttle). Either way it retards the throttle during shifts, period!

If you lift & pull back on the paddle to shift, the car will jerk/surge 9 times out of 10.

Just maintain throttle position & shift away. Let all those little Italian electrons do the work to make you look like a shifting pro.

"M"
That's the right way, no lift. With Challenge ECU modification, the shifts are amazingly fast. That of course is the whole idea behind the F1. And of course you have better control with two hands on the wheel.

current Ferraris: 1995 F355 Spider, 2000 360F1 Modena

Stand up and be counted, or lay down and be mounted.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
I am an absolute F1 Lover! No, I do not lift as I heard the same about the throttle response and the car does all the work for you!

MJ

"Monica" F430 Spider (Sexy Curvy & Italian)
post #10 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 71
360 F1 shifting

Sled Driver is exactly correct -- no lifting when shifting. There is absolutely NO advantage to the clutch if you lift. All that does is confuse the system and make the car jerk around while it tries to recover from your mistake.

The Ferrari F1 system is astonishingly smooth and sophisticated, especially considering it's now nearing two decades old. Just hold your foot steady and let the thing work the way it was designed.

"Fear of guns is a sure sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis, 1906.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by camdon53 View Post
sled driver is exactly correct -- no lifting when shifting. There is absolutely no advantage to the clutch if you lift. All that does is confuse the system and make the car jerk around while it tries to recover from your mistake.

The ferrari f1 system is astonishingly smooth and sophisticated, especially considering it's now nearing two decades old. Just hold your foot steady and let the thing work the way it was designed.

amen!!

"Monica" F430 Spider (Sexy Curvy & Italian)
post #12 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,455
I agree and disagree.

I love the F1 just as much as I love a manual gated Ferrari gear box. I have done close to 100.000km with different generations of F1 transmissions, in sport Ferraris and in GT Ferraris. I take my Ferraris to any place I would take any other daily driver; city commuting, mountain, motorway, winter, summer, etc. I have grown to absolutely love the F1 system. I am by no means a guru. I am an averagely skilled driver doing average performance on the track.

Once you are at speed in an F1 tranny Ferrari, there is no specific benefit nor damage to the clutch by slightly varying the thottle. That said, with a good feel and understanding of mechanics, you can of course increase and decrease wear deliberately with either transmission type. Like a manual box, wear is linear with power.

The system is indeed very smooth and well thought through. The best is to leave it do its job. But as with everything, there is room for refinement. When the system jerks around to correct your mistake it is due to that you have in fact made a mistake.

Here's an example where you can achieve a better upchange: When you give plenty of throttle but you want to short shift because you have decided to enjoy the low end torque throughout the gears instead of the usual stretching out, enjoying the high end oomph. Pretend it is a manual and do what you would do with the throttle on a manual in this given situation. If it changes smother, you have succeeded in intervening benevolently.

I find only one offp1ssing disadvantage with an F1 transmission: When you are stuck in snow and you want to wriggle quickly back and forward to accellerate momentum to move out of the pit your rear wheels have created. In such a situation you need to quickly move repeatedly from first to reverse. An F1 transmission does not permit that because of a dreadful delay in engaging reverse.

Take care!
Capo

Salve,
Capo

The bad news: Time flies
The good news: I'm the pilot

You cannot make life longer but you can make it wider and higher.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Li View Post
Thanks. But I also got lots of comments from other experts that we should not lift the pedal when we change gears. So now I am puzzled.

For Capristo, I need to really consider.

Victor
Victor!

Don't worry about wear. Enjoy the car and don't get too technical over it in the beginning. Drive the car the way it is designed, i.e. keep the thottle in your preferred fixed position as you change up. As I'm sure you have noticed, maintaining throttle also when downshifting before an accelleration is done equally excellently by the F1 electronics.

Please forgive me if I sound impertinent or overly wise but give your newly purchased F1 360 plenty of mileage and you will find that refinement comes with mileage. Please also read my previous post below.

Regarding after market exhausts; it is very personal. Onno's suggestion is the way forward. Youtube will give you a good idea of what appeals to your taste. I have had ANSA on my 360 which sounded light and crisp but still loud and agressive. I liked it. I also have ANSA on my Dino and it becomes the 90 degree V6 engine very nicely. I have a factory mounted Tubi on my Scaglietti and it sounds a tad more agressive and guttoral than the standard system I had on my previous Scaglietti. I think it works well on a V12. On my 430 I opted for Capristo since I prefer the formula one howl on a flat crank V8. I am personally not equally chuffed with Tubi on a Ferrari V8 but I don't dislike it. Tubis are still much better than the original. If you are into really loud howling you should have a look at Kreissieg.

By the way, if you go for Capristo, Stage III is great on a Berlinetta but might get too intense on a Spider. My 430 is a Spider and I eventually installed Stage II.

Good luck Victor!
Capo

Salve,
Capo

Last edited by il Capolino; 10-04-2010 at 03:40 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Capolino View Post

The system is indeed very smooth and well thought through. The best is to leave it do its job. But as with everything, there is room for refinement. When the system jerks around to correct your mistake it is due to that you have in fact made a mistake.

Here's an example where you can achieve a better upchange: When you give plenty of throttle but you want to short shift because you have decided to enjoy the low end torque throughout the gears instead of the usual stretching out, enjoying the high end oomph. Pretend it is a manual and do what you would do with the throttle on a manual in this given situation. If it changes smother, you have succeeded in intervening benevolently.

Take care!
Capo
Ok, I will have to partly retract from my a/m statement. The last days I have tested improvements on gear change on my 430. It is a late model with the Superfast II F1. It is a beauty of a gearbox. It really is difficult to achieve any improvements on the actual gear changes by accellerator intervention. A la boneur! But an early 360, a 575 or a Cambiocorsa is rougher and can do with some help.

Take care!

Salve,
Capo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode