19 inch wheels on 360 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 06-25-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
19 inch wheels on 360

Hello guys and gals, I 've recently picked up a 360 spider with HRE 19 inch 3 piece wheels at all corners, Unfortunately the front fenders are both touching on hard cornering.I have in the records on the vehicle, one fender repair due to this at no charge from local Ferrari dealer. Has any one here ever "rolled" the fenders ? Or is it better to just reduce wheel size?

Thanks In Adavnce
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-25-2008, 07:11 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
I suspect the offset of the wheel has more to do with it than the diameter. Just by looking at the picture its obvious that the wheel does not tuck into the well.

Just from pictures I would say the 18" OE wheels have 15-20mm less offset than those wheels, maybe even a little less. The 19" BBS wheels that come as OE on the challenge models are even tucked in further than the regular wheels.

I would deffinately not try to alter the body panels, that's just not something most Ferrari enthusiasts would approve of and could hurt the re-sale value.

Obviously buying new wheels is about your only option, and finding some 19" wheels which have the right offset would allow you to you the tires you already have. To save you a little coin at least.

One thing you could do is have a reputable machine shop shave some material off of the inside of the wheel (where it meets the hub ofcourse), although this would have to be done by a real pro, otherwise your going to have a new set of problems.

hope that helps, and I hope this encourages people to keep their cars all stock, I mean c'mon peoples of the world--someone at Ferrari, who knows alot more than us about design spent a bunch of time designing those OE wheels, lol, give them some respect, and save the bling bling for the ding dings who drive Hummers and Escalades--just joking(sort of)

Last edited by Red Racer; 06-25-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: as always, grammer
post #3 of 17 Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Well, I would think that of the thousands of wheels HRE has manufactured, they would certainly "get it right" with the offset . Despite the look of the pictures, the wheels don't protrude beyong the wheel wells. The do how ever meet the outer edge and seem to affect the overall handling prowess of the car. I'm going to inquire about the offset somemore, but it just seems like wheel manufacturers such as 360, Iforged, HRE, and the likes should be able to get it right. I certainly can appreciate the R&D put in developing a well rounded suspension that can slice corners, and provide a decent comfort level, and I'm sure the wheels diameter and offset is a big consideration. But the styling of the wheel is by far and away much better looking than the factory or the upgraded ferrari wheels. Of course, this is a matter of taste...

PS do any of these wheels look strange???
Attached Images

post #4 of 17 Old 06-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 29
Is the tire rubbing inside of the wheel well, or at the lip of the wheel well? If you take a moment to examine some other 360's you will notice that the tire tucks inside of the wheel arch lip, your tires may not stick out further than the fender itself, but it doesn't have to to rub on the lip. The OE 19" challenge wheels are obviously even tucked in further than the 18" stockers. Coincidence? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9KRPM View Post
Of course, this is a matter of taste...

I'm just going to come out and say this; People think that style is just something you have, that its your own and that there is no degree of it, or way to quantify it. Well, there wrong. Style is developed by continual comparisons of all things asthetic. Your sense of style is influenced by your cultural, but it is developed by the examination and study of balance, proportion, perspective, and presence of the form in question. This may sound a little artsy-fartsy, but its proven at every major design studio in the world, including Pinninfarina. These designers are highly trained, highly educated, and well studied in asthetics. So, your opinion on what looks "pleasing" only holds as much water as you've carried from the river, and not a drop more. I mean, I've never been to an opera, have no idea what goes on inside one, and don't ever plan to attend one, but I could give you my "humble opinion" about operas all day long.

Heres how I will quantify it--the guy who designed the 360 OE wheels gets payed much more than the guy who designs HRE wheels.

Ok, so you like the wheels, that's cool. I can appreciate not wanting to look just like you came from a cookie cutter, but this is not just any cookie cutter, that is my point. Sorry, Im an unrelenting purist--I don't mean to come of as being so rigid or judgemental, but passions are sometimes hard to contain.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-26-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Duly noted... I would definitely concur that an engineer charged with designing a wheel for a very expensive and somewhat exclusive sports car is going to make an extreme effort to do that within a specific parameter. Be that as it may, In almost every instance there is a compromise such as materials, are the 360 wheels forged or cast? Looks? who cares its a ferrari... I don't think so. As far as being a purist is concerned, what does that matter to me??? Nada, I own the car and I own cars that are not as pretty IMO, yet they are more pure and visceral in the way they attack corners, dispatch road imperfections, better build quality, easier to get in and out of ETC,ETC,ETC. NOt to mention a hell of a lot faster! And I love the Ferrari...

The bottom line is I bought the car to appeal to my taste and it happens to have these wheels on it, which I like along with other options that adds to the ferrari flavor such as TUBI exhaust which so many Ferrari Purists seem to love and buy. Thanks for your opinion, but to me It is exclusively yours.. Just like your car...

Last edited by 9KRPM; 06-26-2008 at 02:48 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
I think the carbon fiber style rims look great

Chris

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #7 of 17 Old 08-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Quote:
Hello guys and gals, I 've recently picked up a 360 spider with HRE 19 inch 3 piece wheels at all corners, Unfortunately the front fenders are both touching on hard cornering.I have in the records on the vehicle, one fender repair due to this at no charge from local Ferrari dealer. Has any one here ever "rolled" the fenders ? Or is it better to just reduce wheel size?

Thanks In Adavnce

I had the exact same problem with both my Barchetta and my 2003 360 Spider. I have 19 inch Hamann rims on both vehicles (Fronts are 10 inches wide and the rears are 13 inches). The 19 or 20 inch rims is what makes these cars look awesome and I would not go back to the 18 inch rims. I hit a pothole on my 360 and damaged the front fender. I had the fender corrected but did not roll the fenders, I would appreciate if you can tell me how that is done. My body shop had no clue as to correct the problem,
post #8 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Well as it turns out, after calling HRE and going to the local Ferrari dealer, I discovered that the 430 inner lip is in fact tucked as in a "rolled" fashion and some of the 360 have the same application . At the advice of a ferrari tech I had the car subbed out to a local speed house which installs go fast goodies on everything from Acura's to Mclaren SLR's. The owner of the shop was very personable and knowledgeable and took the time to inform me of the postives and negatives of rolling the fender. I watched the entire process and I am completely satisfied with the outcome.
post #9 of 17 Old 08-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 260
Quote:
Well as it turns out, after calling HRE and going to the local Ferrari dealer, I discovered that the 430 inner lip is in fact tucked as in a "rolled" fashion and some of the 360 have the same application . At the advice of a ferrari tech I had the car subbed out to a local speed house which installs go fast goodies on everything from Acura's to Mclaren SLR's. The owner of the shop was very personable and knowledgeable and took the time to inform me of the postives and negatives of rolling the fender. I watched the entire process and I am completely satisfied with the outcome.
If you don`t mind me asking, what were the positives and negatives of rolling the fenders?
post #10 of 17 Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 32
I just like to add my 2 cents to this 3 month old thread.
iforged wheels in California (custom made offsets) will give you exact offset measurements on their wheel styles when you give them your front & rear wheel measurements plus what manufacturer type of brakes you have...rotor diameter....has the car been lowered?....if yes, how much. No need for wheel spacers or rolling fenders!

Instead of rolling fenders its best to buy custom made wheel offsets for your car but in this particular case where you already have the wheels and you don't want to buy another set, then roll the fenders....IMHO I would rather sell the wheels & get the custom made offsets....usually pays off in the long run.
I don't own a Ferrari but I do own a set of iforged 2pc. aluminum 5 split spoke wheels with a brushed aluminum finish on the split spokes and a highly polished aluminum outter lip....as seen here....my rear wheel:

my front wheel:
post #11 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,627
Quote:
---the front fenders are both touching on hard cornering.---Has any one here ever "rolled" the fenders ?---
What sizes are the rims and the tires?

Rolling is commonly done.

I suspect the car has been lowered as well? This can cause tons of probs if lowered too much.

Some rims are just too big and with improper offsets the tires can rub.

Average 19" offsets are 28 mm front and 50-52 mm rears.

I have 19's and never a rub or a problem
post #12 of 17 Old 11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo65 View Post
If you don`t mind me asking, what were the positives and negatives of rolling the fenders?
All positive and no negatives.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
you can roll or even trim the fenders. I have lowered the car 10 turns and I have 19" novitecs with 255's in the front and 355's rear
Attached Images

post #14 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Owner

And why does this car sound so familiar, Mr. Art?

It looks beautiful.

I have never rolled my fenders but I may.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcalo View Post
And why does this car sound so familiar, Mr. Art?

It looks beautiful.

I have never rolled my fenders but I may.
Hi Greg, I took your rocommendation and you were right about this forum. I said hello at the member intro section. It's good to chat with you about our ferraris again. I was hoping you got the novitecs by now, the 355 tires are available now and I am sure you can get good price on them.
Post some pics of your new rims if you have changed them.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Owner

I missed your member intro. Sorry.

I have not yet done the rims but I have the PS Cups. 325/30-19's and 235/35-19's. I'll try those first.

I like the Novitec's but as we had discussed the poor Pirelli availability scared me. It's possible I could try again in the future. I don't mind having extra wheels and tires.

I am spending $ in my garage redoing it into an ace shop. Having a separate 40 amp electrical panel put in just for the garage. Doing a lift, air compressor, etc., and doing all new lighting in controllable banks.

Additional insulation and sheetrock, etc. I also had a 4 X 12 lam installed to brace the roof so I could remove the cross joists that tie the walls.

I'll have over 120" of clear height for the lift.

So that's what's up.

Now let's hope for better business.

Thanks for joining.

You'll like it here.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Owner

Quote:
Well, I would think that of the thousands of wheels HRE has manufactured, they would certainly "get it right" with the offset . ---
I'd encourage you to look at iForged. Vince has gotten the rear offsets just right.

I added 13 mm spacers to my rears each side which gave me the exact offset I wanted. The tires are just slightly beyond the body line.

The TE-14 iForged are 50 mm offsets for a 12 X 19 rim which is perfect; fronts are 28 mm in an 8.5 X 19 front rim, and these will now emulate my present wheels with the spacers.

So these are the ones I am going to use.

HRE is just too conservative with their offsets and their monoblocs on come in 11" max widths.

Your car looks stunning however. I presume that is your car.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode