360 Fluid Service History Question... - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 8
360 Fluid Service History Question...

I'm looking at a very clean 2003 F1 360 with 2800 miles on it. After going through all the service records I noticed that while it did have the cam belt service in Jan '07 (year 4), there is no record from all of the dealer paperwork showing that a fluid service (yearly or otherwise) was ever done. I plan on sending it to the dealer for a PPI tomorrow. The cam belt service paperwork has no fluids or filters in the parts list. I'm concerned that a yearly fluid service was never done due to the inherent low miles on the car. I know the engine oil/filter and brake fluid are supposed to be serviced yearly and the tranny and differential at least every other year, regardless of mileage. From all the dealer paperwork, from Dec '02 until Jan '07, all I see, other than the cam belt service, is the ECU updates, OBD2 connector updates and a burnt interior light bulb replacement. None of the service records show any fluids in the parts or service lists. Is this possible? Should I worry? The car "seemed" to run fine and sounded fine on a 20 mile test drive. It seemed to have been used consistently for the entire five years. The same dealership that sold it and did the cam belt will be doing the PPI. Is that wise?

Last edited by dankofer; 04-27-2008 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankofer View Post
The same dealership that sold it and did the cam belt will be doing the PPI. Is that wise?
It can be convenient, but I am sure they shall be biased towards the sale. Look for a third party to do a PPI.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
post #3 of 10 Old 04-28-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Sale is from private party...

i agree they may be a bit biased, but the actual sale is still through the first private owner. Just wanted the PPI to be done through the dealer as they are familiar with the car and have a good reputation. What are your thoughts about the lack of the yearly fluid service?

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
i agree they may be a bit biased, but the actual sale is still through the first private owner. Just wanted the PPI to be done through the dealer as they are familiar with the car and have a good reputation. What are your thoughts about the lack of the yearly fluid service?
I would ask both the dealer and the owner why the fluid were not changed. See if the answers match and are acceptable. If not then I would start asking more questions about the car. At a minimum I would get a full fluid change included with the purchase.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Owner

The owner claims that when he brought it in to the dealership in Jan '07 with 2500 miles for the cam belt service the service department at the dealership told him it didn't need it. The same service department told me it definitely needs it now. They didn't seem to remember telling him it didn't need it. I went through all the dealership service record printed out of their system (only four pages long) and never saw any notes about customer refusing. It just doesn't have any mention of a fluid service being done or even discussed. I am having the dealership due the full fluid service tomorrow at mostly the sellers expense. They are charging $1300 for the service, of which the seller has agreed to pay $900 (the price now quoted to him by a local independent shop). I'd rather have the dealer do it. They did the PPI and only came up with that. Thinking positive.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
The owner claims that when he brought it in to the dealership in Jan '07 with 2500 miles for the cam belt service the service department at the dealership told him it didn't need it. The same service department told me it definitely needs it now. They didn't seem to remember telling him it didn't need it. I went through all the dealership service record printed out of their system (only four pages long) and never saw any notes about customer refusing. It just doesn't have any mention of a fluid service being done or even discussed. I am having the dealership due the full fluid service tomorrow at mostly the sellers expense. They are charging $1300 for the service, of which the seller has agreed to pay $900 (the price now quoted to him by a local independent shop). I'd rather have the dealer do it. They did the PPI and only came up with that. Thinking positive.
Why are you paying part of the fluid service before finalizing a purchase agreement ?
post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Owner

The owner wanted to have it done by a local independent shop for $900. I wanted it done by the authorized dealership. They wanted $1300. In order to be done with it, we met in the middle and he's paying for $1100 of it.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
The owner wanted to have it done by a local independent shop for $900. I wanted it done by the authorized dealership. They wanted $1300. In order to be done with it, we met in the middle and he's paying for $1100 of it.
Sound like you have already committed to buying the 360.

Drive and enjoy!
post #9 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Owner

PPI came back clean...

I actually did today. The Dealership said the PPI was complete and the only thing they recommended was the fluid service. So with that, I cut the deal on the service and purchased the car. Hopefully they'll be done by tomorrow and I can bring my new baby home. Thanks for all your help.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
I actually did today. The Dealership said the PPI was complete and the only thing they recommended was the fluid service. So with that, I cut the deal on the service and purchased the car. Hopefully they'll be done by tomorrow and I can bring my new baby home. Thanks for all your help.
Excellent and congratulations. Look forward to seeing pictures as soon as you get your 360 home.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode