Help? new 360 F1, hesitation when pull off - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Help? new 360 F1, hesitation when pull off

Hi guys, i,m new to this site, have recently bought 360 modena F1.. I dont know if this is normal, but when i pull off in first gear, there is a slight hesitation while the car revs up then the car pulls of quite jerkly.. is this clutch slip or some other issue or is it just a chareciristic of the 360 f1 transmission!! I,m kinda getting used to it, but not sure if its right!!! maybe someone can help!! many thanks

joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
I had a similar problem on the 360 Challenge F1 gearbox when I first started driving it. The accelerator is very sensitive in these cars and it just takes practice to get the timing on the shift right.

If you are worried about the clutch slipping, shift up into 6th at about 30 miles and hour then flatten the accelerator. If it is a worn clutch you should feel it slipping.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Owner

re reply to clutch slip

Hi boxer,

Thanks for the reply , i shall do that this evening.. guess your right though the car will take some getting used to.. i will keep you posted.. what you driving right now? i see the f50 picture!! nice car!!

post #4 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 04:37 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
Hi Joe. This is Boxer's car. This picture was taken right after he said, "I think the clutch is slipping, I'll try shifting up into 6th at about 30 miles and hour then flatten the accelerator."
Attached Images

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #5 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete04222 View Post
Hi Joe. This is Boxer's car. This picture was taken right after he said, "I think the clutch is slipping, I'll try shifting up into 6th at about 30 miles and hour then flatten the accelerator."
Pete, Car in the picture is a 430.....
post #6 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Pete, Car in the picture is a 430.....
I know, I still couldn't resist posting it. Seemed to fit the discussion.

Capt. Pete
post #7 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Didn't you and Archie do a twin turbo with afterburner conversion on that 430 ?
post #8 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Busted. Yeah, that was one of ours. We were so wrapped up with making the afterburners work we forgot to make some sort of allowance for shutting them down. But like any old fire, it did go out by itself eventually. In hindsight, the afterburners probably shouldn't have been mounted so close to the fuel tanks.

Capt. Pete
post #9 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo360 View Post
Hi guys, i,m new to this site, have recently bought 360 modena F1.. I dont know if this is normal, but when i pull off in first gear, there is a slight hesitation while the car revs up then the car pulls of quite jerkly.. is this clutch slip or some other issue or is it just a chareciristic of the 360 f1 transmission!! I,m kinda getting used to it, but not sure if its right!!! maybe someone can help!! many thanks

joe
The description of your problem is a classic example of either, one of the early, poor software versions, an incorrectly set PIS adjustment or a malfunction of the clutch position sensor. It is not normal and you should not have to accept it as so.

What year is the car?
post #10 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 08:51 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,874
Joe, post some pictures up of the 360

To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe.-Anatole France
"Dude, it's just math"-Pete
post #11 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
The description of your problem is a classic example of either, one of the early, poor software versions, an incorrectly set PIS adjustment or a malfunction of the clutch position sensor. It is not normal and you should not have to accept it as so.

What year is the car?
The car is 2000, (w) the car was serviced with meridien modena just before i bought it (privately) it read clutch wear 50% i would have presumed this would have been picked up...

What you think? Normality is for the clutch to bite instant is it? i drove business partners f355 f1 1999. and that had no hesitation come think of it.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Owner

Quote:
The car is 2000, (w) the car was serviced with meridien modena just before i bought it (privately) it read clutch wear 50% i would have presumed this would have been picked up...

What you think? Normality is for the clutch to bite instant is it? i drove business partners f355 f1 1999. and that had no hesitation come think of it.
355 system was actually quite different so there is little useful comparison. The 2000 still came from the factory with the early software version and it is easy to tell on the computer which the car has now.

Ferrari declared the operation of the 1st generation system as normal even though they fixed the software in 2001. Many who did not understand the system well accepted that position because they didn't now how to fix it anyway. If yours is a 1st generation there is nothing to be done but replace the computer.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
355 system was actually quite different so there is little useful comparison. The 2000 still came from the factory with the early software version and it is easy to tell on the computer which the car has now.

Ferrari declared the operation of the 1st generation system as normal even though they fixed the software in 2001. Many who did not understand the system well accepted that position because they didn't now how to fix it anyway. If yours is a 1st generation there is nothing to be done but replace the computer.
Thanks brian , i'm grateful for your help.. I will take car to ferrari this week, when you say replace computer- is this a big expensive job? Is the probelm that the computer is not telling the clutch to bite a the correct moment? therfore causing that hesitation!! Aww cars oh cars!!!!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Owner

Quote:
Thanks brian , i'm grateful for your help.. I will take car to ferrari this week, when you say replace computer- is this a big expensive job? Is the probelm that the computer is not telling the clutch to bite a the correct moment? therfore causing that hesitation!! Aww cars oh cars!!!!
The computer is about $2000 US + labor.

Correct. The strategy for clutch operation had not been well developed in the early generation and had no manual adjustment capability.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode