I'm new and looking into a 360 modena - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
I'm new and looking into a 360 modena

Hey guys, I'm new to the ferrari scene. I've had vettes and vipers, and have been spending my money mostly towards racing, but I'm looking to settle down and buy an exotic. I'm wanting to stay in the low 100k range, so the 360 modena is a perfect fit, and a beautiful car! I looked at the buyers guide as saw the major maintenance was only $1800. I was confused by that because I've always thought the 15k and 30k maint. was closer to $6k. Is all the pricing on there correctly, such as $900 for a clutch etc. ? If that's the case, I'm definitely intersted! I'm looking at probably a 2000 model w/decent mileage, but great history. I'm wanting red/tan. 6sp. manual. Should I stay away from the 1999's? Anything specific to watch out for? Thanks--Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,928
Hi Andy, welcome and good luck with your search for a 360. You'll get some great advice on here, so make sure you stick around and let us know when you find the perfect car.

Archie
post #3 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 03:11 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
The $5-6k maintenance costs are more related to the 348 and F355s cambelt changes. On these models you need to pull the engine which drives the $$$ labor bill. On the 360, the cambelts can be changed with the engine in the car so the cost is about a third. To get an accurate picture on pricing, call both a good local independent and your local Ferrari dealer. While part prices are basically the same worldwide, labor rates differ significantly and they are what drive a significant amount of the cost. As an example, Ferrari dealers change about $200 per hour in the UK, $150 in Italy, and $140 in Spain.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 5
That's sounds great! W/the abuse I put my viper through right now at the track, I'm sure I'll end up spending more on it in maintenance than the ferrari seeing how I'll just be cruising the ferrari for the most part. So besides the big maint. costs at 15k and 30k (which aren't bad at all!), if I understand correctly, the reliability of these cars are pretty solid??? I'll probably look into buying one w/around 15k mi. on it, then keep it for a few years until the 430's come down a bit in price. Thanks for your input Boxer
post #5 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 65
Belts in a 355

Actually - Steve has told me it is possible to replace belts on the 355 without removal of the engine. May not be able to replace the tensioner bearings that easily, though. I'm suppose certified Ferrari shops would plan to remove the engine. Steve... any input on this?

Rick
post #6 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 308
I too have been studying up on the 360s for a while. I currently own a Testarossa (on my 2nd one) which is a great car...but that shape of the 360 just knocks my socks off. As the buyer's guide says, history is number one priority. There is a Cam Variator campaign on 360s up till about model year 2001...so make sure the car has had that done. I agree with you about getting a 6-speed car, that's what I want too. There have been some incidents of fires with 360s that's caused by poor routing of the wires going to the alternator...something to keep in mind. Yes the belts and tensioners can be changed with the engine in the car, there are interior panels that can be removed to get access to the front of the motor. On some tracked cars or cars that see lots of very hard driving, certain frame member joints can develop crackes around the rear suspension area. Other than these issues, and they are rather rare, the 360 Modena is a very solid and reliable car. There are 3 seat options, standard, daytona, and sport. I think the standard seats are the most comfortable, with the daytona a close second, the sport seats are a challenge to get into and out of. They did make a lot of 360s and I wonder how much more depreciation they will see? But that doesn't matter to me. I never thought I'd leave the 12 cylinder club....but the sight, sound, and incredible handling of the Modena are too much to resist.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
355 Belts

Hi Guys,

Someplace I saw some photos and text on how to do the cam belts on a 355 with the engine in the car. I have to go make dinner now, so later I'll bang my head against a wall and see if I can remember where. -Steve
post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 366
Found it:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...t=belt+service

The link it refers to is no longer active, but the thread does confirm that a belt change on a 355 can be done with the engine in the car.

Steve
post #9 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari328GT View Post
Found it:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/sh...t=belt+service

The link it refers to is no longer active, but the thread does confirm that a belt change on a 355 can be done with the engine in the car.

Steve
It can be done by dropping the tanks. Some independants do it this way as it saves on labor. Factory does not recommend it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode