All F355 owners experiences - Ferrari Life
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
All F355 owners experiences

Hi greetings all. I have tried to read most postings on the F355 and lost track of some of them. I would like to start this new thread to concentrate on all F355 issues and experiences.

This forum is great for sharing information. I am currently doing some research on the F355 before purchasing one, but I would like to hear from current owners or past owners on what experiences they have had with the F355.

I plan to purchase used, as others who belong in forum to may have. But I am having thoughts about maintenance or repair expenses. This would be a big dip into my savings to purchase this dream and I would not like it to become a money pit.

So if any one wants to share experiences, or ask questions about their F355's, please try to post them here, and I am sure it would be easier than going through all other dated threads.

And yes, I will download the 355 buyers guide.
monza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
And yes, besides having a PPI done before the purchase in a region besides the buyers area. How do I know if the person doing the PPI is reputable and not biased to the dealer.
Being that the individual performing the PPI is from that area, and has most presumable worked with the dealership countless of times. How would I know that he/she would be performing a non-biased examination of the vehicle.
monza is offline  
post #3 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
BTW

I am leaning towards a purchase in Florida. I am from NJ, USA. The average prices here in the tri-coast NJ, NY, CT and including PA seem to be about $5-8K more that the ones listed in Florida.

Would it be practical for me to drive rougly 1200-1300 miles one way from Florida to Jersey. Would the used F355 (presumably in good condition after a PPI and a test drive around town before purchase) be able to make that trip.

I always believe in some law that if anything wrong can happen, it will happen.

Ideas are welcome please.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a purchase. The wife has already given the go signal. Its just a matter of the right timing now, and a lot of research.
monza is offline  
 
post #4 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
 
Join Date: May 2007
Ferrari Life Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
BTW
Would it be practical for me to drive rougly 1200-1300 miles one way from Florida to Jersey. Would the used F355 (presumably in good condition after a PPI and a test drive around town before purchase) be able to make that trip.
My two cents...
Having used them twice myself (no this is not a commercial and I have no involvement with them other than as a very satisfied customer) I would go wherever you find one, look, drive, inspect, test, but send it home via Intercity (http://www.intercitylines.com/). Transport miles over unfamiliar highways are too stressful and nerve wracking to really bond with a new car IMO.

I bought an Alfa in 1985 European delivery and hated every minute of the experience. Where I parked it, hitting that first pot hole, unfamiliar roads that turned to gravel!!! That first scratch! (and yes, it happened in Italy, I can remember the exact spot). I was a wreck and for the most part missed the pleasure of the new car experience.

Good luck!
RKtect59 is offline  
post #5 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Owner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I love a good shakedown cruise
My Rossa was in Springfield MO which was a 6hr drive...the only bother on that was that I did not have a valid DL at the time other then that it was excellent

last summer I purchased my Maserati in Scranton PA and drove it back to Iowa...it was a wonderful drive and I even managed to have a sport exhaust installed along the way.
the head is offline  
post #6 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Elite Member
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: San Francisco
Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
And yes, besides having a PPI done before the purchase in a region besides the buyers area. How do I know if the person doing the PPI is reputable and not biased to the dealer.
Being that the individual performing the PPI is from that area, and has most presumable worked with the dealership countless of times. How would I know that he/she would be performing a non-biased examination of the vehicle.
This is why I would recommend an independent mechanic and not a dealer mechanic. If the mechanic has a good reputation in the community odds are he is going to give you good advice otherwise the shop will be faced with the possibility of losing his reputation.
Andrew is offline  
post #7 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Ferrari Life Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
I always believe in some law that if anything wrong can happen, it will happen.
That would be "Murphy's Law"

I dont know if I have any input but I wish you good luck!
FunkyJunc is offline  
post #8 of 155 Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Tubi Exhaust

I was on the phone with the Ferrari Dealers Service manager. He informed me that a Tubi exhaust for a 355 would cost around $7K including labor. It seemed a bit steep for me

Is that a reasonable price? Can I just order the part, and have an independent mechanic install?

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #9 of 155 Old 06-07-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Ferrari rental

A fair price for renting a brand new F430 or a F360 Spider. Check this site out.
I may just do this to give me a taste of the new models.

http://www.gothamdreamcars.com/new-y...ari-rental.htm

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #10 of 155 Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 AM
Owner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Ferrari Life Posts: 250
I still believe Ferrari could've made the engine of the F355 sound
more grunt when it was designed and established.
julian4 is offline  
post #11 of 155 Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian4 View Post
I still believe Ferrari could've made the engine of the F355 sound
more grunt when it was designed and established.
How much grunt can you get from an 8, but a 12 can sing operas

I have heard the F355 and it sounded sweet enough for me. I still would love to listen to the enzo of the f40 sound though. One I get my ferrari, I would join the ranks of ferrari owners and am sure to hear some sooner or later.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #12 of 155 Old 06-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member
 
Boxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: UK & Texas
Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by monza View Post
BTW

Would it be practical for me to drive rougly 1200-1300 miles one way from Florida to Jersey. Would the used F355 (presumably in good condition after a PPI and a test drive around town before purchase) be able to make that trip.

I always believe in some law that if anything wrong can happen, it will happen.
.
Sure. I have done this several times. Last time was with F40 (I wrote an article on it for Andrew which is in the latest issue of Ferrari Life Quarterly). I also did it with my 1st Ferrari, a F355 many years ago. Great way to get to know the car throughly.
Boxer is offline  
post #13 of 155 Old 06-08-2007, 07:52 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Geneva
Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Just to remind the manifolds problem

As a professional I sold many 355 and they ALL have the problem no exception. It usually appears between 35'000 and 55'000 Kms. Sometime both side at the same time and sometime one side... but the second one almost allways follows soon after.

If you order new one from Ferrari they'll last 35k or 55k Kms but the problem will come back again because they never corrected it and they keep selling them.

Tubi can sell good one but usually the delivery takes a very long time.

If you send your broken manifolds to Quicksilver in England they'll send them to you back in 3 weeks usually and for a cheaper price and a very good quality that last "forever" if I could say so.

When the problem appears DO NOT DRIVE your car anymore and bring it directly to your garage. If you keep driving it and wait to change the manifolds the engine will go down.

I had the problem once a customer bought me a Maranello and I took his car as a trade in. I asked him if he changed the manifolds of course (40'000 Kms) and of course he did at the Ferrari Agency (with cambelts, service, ...). I sold the car soon after and the new owner lost his engine after 2'000 Kms of driving. The car was under warranty so I paid the repairs but then I decided not to buy any F355 again.

It is a shame that a so beautifull and enjoyable car has a so big problem that the factory perfectly knows and never corrected.
Fabrizio Carugati is offline  
post #14 of 155 Old 06-08-2007, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
Sure. I have done this several times. Last time was with F40 (I wrote an article on it for Andrew which is in the latest issue of Ferrari Life Quarterly). I also did it with my 1st Ferrari, a F355 many years ago. Great way to get to know the car throughly.
That response just re-affirms the sturdiness of a ferrari and I quells my fear of a ferrari not being able to take long distances.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #15 of 155 Old 06-08-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrizio Carugati View Post
As a professional I sold many 355 and they ALL have the problem no exception. It usually appears between 35'000 and 55'000 Kms. Sometime both side at the same time and sometime one side... but the second one almost allways follows soon after.

If you order new one from Ferrari they'll last 35k or 55k Kms but the problem will come back again because they never corrected it and they keep selling them.

Tubi can sell good one but usually the delivery takes a very long time.

If you send your broken manifolds to Quicksilver in England they'll send them to you back in 3 weeks usually and for a cheaper price and a very good quality that last "forever" if I could say so.

When the problem appears DO NOT DRIVE your car anymore and bring it directly to your garage. If you keep driving it and wait to change the manifolds the engine will go down.
Thanks for the tip Fabrizio.

So I can safely assume that I will be expecting manifold problems with a F355 even though it has undergone, lets say a 15K major service.

Can a slight leak from either side of the manifold be easily detected. Will there be a change in performance with a slight leak.

I certainly would be able to tell with a crack in the manifold due to the loud sound and rough engine. But how do usually detect one during its early stages being a tiny stress crack or a hairline fracture in the exhaust manifolds.

If I do change the manifolds, I really would love to have the tubi's because of all the stories I have heard about how great the f355 sounds with tubi's. They say that at high RPM's the f355 would sound like an F1.

Although I would like to keep other options available for other aftermarket manifolds. Would you happen to have a link for quicksilver in the UK.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #16 of 155 Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Geneva
Ferrari Life Posts: 17
Answers

In my experience you can except manifolds problem with a perfectly serviced car it doesn't matter. The problem comes from the manifolds no matter if you serviced the car or not.

I don't have a special tip to detect manifolds problem but usually you can quickly hear it at the changing noise of the exhausts and the engine doesn't turn/work as good as usual.

I agree that the Tubi exhausts make the best sound on F355 and their manifolds are stronger than original one and the problem shouldn't appear again with them. But as usual with italian you have to wait and pay high price.

http://www.quicksilverexhausts.com/
Fabrizio Carugati is offline  
post #17 of 155 Old 06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Owner
 
Louis355's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Hi Monza,

I can really recommand the 355(manual shift). It's fast, pure and 100% fun.
(I'm lucky with 10.000 km in a year and only one service of $900)

If I can make a suggestion: enjoy and drive your 355 to the fulllest and don't worry (too much) of what can happen.
Just except and budget the risks of (fast driving italian's best;costly maintaince, scratches, a nose looking like a ladybug, repainting etc.

But driving an 355 will take care of any negative thoughts anyway.
Louis355 is offline  
post #18 of 155 Old 06-12-2007, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis355 View Post
Hi Monza,

I can really recommand the 355(manual shift). It's fast, pure and 100% fun.
(I'm lucky with 10.000 km in a year and only one service of $900)

If I can make a suggestion: enjoy and drive your 355 to the fulllest and don't worry (too much) of what can happen.
Just except and budget the risks of (fast driving italian's best;costly maintaince, scratches, a nose looking like a ladybug, repainting etc.

But driving an 355 will take care of any negative thoughts anyway.
Indeed I plan to drive the 355 to the fullest and yes I am going for the manual gearbox. Am just a bit worried about the 1500-1600 mile trip if I purchase from Florida to New Jersey.

How many miles (km) did your 355 have when you purchased it. And yes, you are one of the lucky ones to only have a $900 service for your first year driving that ferrari.

I looked around the tri-state area and have not found the color/year/spider which I wanted. Most of them are in the southern/warmer states like florida/california. So, sadly I will have to be very carefull and take a long process examining and testing the car when I purchase in Florida.

Did you put any tubi's on your 355 louis?

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
post #19 of 155 Old 06-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Owner
 
Louis355's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Netherlands
Ferrari Life Posts: 275
Bought it with 46k km's, no tubi's (yet)

For what's it worth: I would do the trip, the 355 is up for it. Three days and with some old fashion roadmaps to skip the boring highways.

Good luck
Louis355 is offline  
post #20 of 155 Old 06-13-2007, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Owner
 
monza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago, USA
Ferrari Life Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis355 View Post
Bought it with 46k km's, no tubi's (yet)

For what's it worth: I would do the trip, the 355 is up for it. Three days and with some old fashion roadmaps to skip the boring highways.

Good luck
OK, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Now for the wife's approval and vote

Wish me luck. I will post the pics once I finally get one.

Chicago_Pete
hey slow driver
monza is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
Copyright 2012 ONE Media, Inc.
FerrariLife is independently run with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA
Ferrari for Sale | Maserati for Sale