• 1 Post By 360trev
  • 3 Post By 360trev

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-08-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 354
360/F430/CS/Scuderia Black Magic!

Gents,

Finally I've been able to log back in to Ferrari Life!!! I forgot my password a long time ago and then for some reason I literally couldn't reset the password no matter what I tried. Anyhow I tried again today and its working. Great... I'm back!

So what's this black magic I talk about?

Its a piece of software I've been developing called 'Ferrari Swiss Army Knife'. I've actually done a huge amount of work now on the 360 and F430, fully reverse engineering the Ignition ecu's software (which required a huge amount of work) and fully labeling up all of the functions and how they work.

As such I can now do many many cool things such as;
  • A full software delete of immobilizer. Making the car more reliable and less likely to leave you stranded. Also yields a far better battery lifespan too. Incredibly I can leave my car 3 months and still the engine will start! Just amazing.
  • A full software delete of the secondary o2 sensors which are used for cat efficiency analysis. Ironically early 1999 cars didn't have the feature even activated! Never worry about getting a CEL again for fitting sports cats or race cats. They will just work. Or alternatively configure cat efficiency to be less sensitive, this means you car still will work with readiness if its important to you in your region.
  • Ability to configure and entirely customize the exhaust valve opening rpm and % of throttle to whatever you want. Different cars and different models open at different points. The later 2003 and CS cars are set particularly high (as are all cars destined for Australia too) due to noise emissions regulations getting tougher towards the end of the 360 model run and in some other regions. The actual manifold switch over occurs a bit under 3,000rpm so its far better for performance to configure your valves at this point if you want improved/maximum mid-range torque for example.
  • Ability to configure how long the valves stay open for when the car is started from cold. For example the stock setting hardcoded into your ecu's is 2.5 seconds. If you want to sneak off quietly you can set this to zero so it doesn't bark on cold starts...
  • Ability to run full Challenge Stradale ecu firmware, not just partial maps on your 360. This is a night and day difference. Majority of tuners claim they do this but most simply swap over a few maps, its actually far better to run the real deal. Gives as big a difference to the engine as the CS TCU does to the gearbox. Normal mode gets deleted, Sport becomes normal and a old Sport become Race.
  • Ability to configure CS firmware to run on stock Modena air flow meters. If your car is bone stock you can still run CS firmware for improved throttle responses, etc.
  • etc. etc. etc...

The list just keeps growing. More information soon when I get more time to post...

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.
Henry Royce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 961
Interesting....
Great work. I can think of a few problem scenarios that could be corrected with these precision features.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,315
Very glad to see you back here Trev Tremendous work you've done to reverse these Motronic Ecus, and I know so well how much time consuming this can be. Excellent and very courageous initiative!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Interesting....
Great work. I can think of a few problem scenarios that could be corrected with these precision features.

Well for advanced techs like yourselves your in for a treat as I am producing a tool which plugs into OBD port and then you use wifi to talk to the car!

From the device talking to the car you can access over 3,000 real-time memory variables (although not all at the same time). With the possibility to log them and real-time view them.. Furthermore I can also alter the firmware to relocate maps into memory so they can be altered on the fly and then once your happy saved and later re-flashed into permanent memory... This means you can do advanced real-time re-mapping on the fly for example which is hugely valuable say if your at a dyno or you want to diagnose a particular fault...

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
Henry Royce
post #5 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Very glad to see you back here Trev Tremendous work you've done to reverse these Motronic Ecus, and I know so well how much time consuming this can be. Excellent and very courageous initiative!

Its been a real challenge due to the fact there are over 40 variants of rom on the 360 alone and a surprising amount of code differences between them. They fiddled with the code every single model year! Thankfully I've written pretty flexible heuristic search routines which can seek out and discover everything needed to understand and customize the firmware. I'm now doing a lot of this work equally for the F430 and 430 Scuderia too...

Henry Royce
post #6 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 10:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 6
Trully impressive we appreciate the choices, power and control this will enable owners to have . When will others be able to use it ? and how ?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-10-2019, 11:52 PM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 430
Welcome back to the forum trev,
your work is gorgeous and difficult, my compliments.
Your software coan be run also on the 575-599-612?

Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]
post #8 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiammenghi Engineering View Post
Welcome back to the forum trev,
your work is gorgeous and difficult, my compliments.
Your software coan be run also on the 575-599-612?

Fabio

Thank you Fabio!

I actually think it will work 'out of the box' with many aspects such as checksumming and even the immobilizer delete should work too. I just haven't tested it yet on a 575, 599 or 612. If anyone can send me a rom dump I will officially add support.

Thanks,

Trevor

Henry Royce
post #9 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Owner

Plans for Swiss Army Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Trully impressive we appreciate the choices, power and control this will enable owners to have . When will others be able to use it ? and how ?
There are 3 different editions planned. Exact costs will be confirmed once I have the device I am getting manufactured in China back in a production ready state. It won't be a crazy price so virtually everyone will be able to enjoy its benefits.

1. Fully open source (free for entire community) edition which is hosted on github and I will provide more extensive details about how to use it shortly. This is a technical app but includes the full source-code. With it you can do a lot of impressive things but without the user convenience and ease of use. Still if your technically inclined I will provide an SDK to allow 3rd parties to develop plug-ins so they can offer consumer and garages add on's for payment. Hopefully this will encourage others to participate in this exciting project and get involved.

2. Licensed edition for consumers. Aimed at ease of use but it will require a monthly subscription to a SIM data service for the weekly/monthly updates *or* you can opt to sync it to your Wifi hotspot if sim data services are too expensive in your area. E.g. via phone or home lan say while in your garage. This allows you to install an app on your phone and do all kinds of very clever tricks such as remotely see lock status of your car. I'm even going to add a valet mode which restricts revs to 4,000 for example which you control on your phone so that a valet parking attendant cannot race your car. Switchable maps on a 360 even such as control of exhaust valves, etc.. You control it with the app. Hundreds of features on the roadmap with new ones added weekly and automatically pushed to your phone...

3. Licensed edition for garages. Aimed at expert techs, again pricing model yet to be confirmed but with it you can execute hundreds of tests and it also data logs months of analysis back to the cloud so you can see the decline of say a battery or the DV-E (Throttle body) starting to become critically close to the end of its working life, o2 sensors starting to become slow to respond, etc. With this you can recommend repairs before they leave the owner at the side of the road. The aim is you can do much more than an official Ferrari SDx series computer and will ultimately replace it. More like the level a Bosch system calibrator has access to A bit of a steep learning curve but you become a true expert on the car's electronics as you go through this.

Henry Royce
post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Sponsor
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360trev View Post
There are 3 different editions planned. Exact costs will be confirmed once I have the device I am getting manufactured in China back in a production ready state. It won't be a crazy price so virtually everyone will be able to enjoy its benefits.

1. Fully open source (free for entire community) edition which is hosted on github and I will provide more extensive details about how to use it shortly. This is a technical app but includes the full source-code. With it you can do a lot of impressive things but without the user convenience and ease of use. Still if your technically inclined I will provide an SDK to allow 3rd parties to develop plug-ins so they can offer consumer and garages add on's for payment. Hopefully this will encourage others to participate in this exciting project and get involved.

2. Licensed edition for consumers. Aimed at ease of use but it will require a monthly subscription to a SIM data service for the weekly/monthly updates *or* you can opt to sync it to your Wifi hotspot if sim data services are too expensive in your area. E.g. via phone or home lan say while in your garage. This allows you to install an app on your phone and do all kinds of very clever tricks such as remotely see lock status of your car. I'm even going to add a valet mode which restricts revs to 4,000 for example which you control on your phone so that a valet parking attendant cannot race your car. Switchable maps on a 360 even such as control of exhaust valves, etc.. You control it with the app. Hundreds of features on the roadmap with new ones added weekly and automatically pushed to your phone...

3. Licensed edition for garages. Aimed at expert techs, again pricing model yet to be confirmed but with it you can execute hundreds of tests and it also data logs months of analysis back to the cloud so you can see the decline of say a battery or the DV-E (Throttle body) starting to become critically close to the end of its working life, o2 sensors starting to become slow to respond, etc. With this you can recommend repairs before they leave the owner at the side of the road. The aim is you can do much more than an official Ferrari SDx series computer and will ultimately replace it. More like the level a Bosch system calibrator has access to A bit of a steep learning curve but you become a true expert on the car's electronics as you go through this.
Trevor,

i'm interested...

Fabio
Fabio

Fiammenghi Engineering
High Performance Exhaust Systems and Car Parts
Contact info: [email protected]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode