F430 Bleeding brakes led to strange noise - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2018, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Bleeding brakes led to strange noise

Just getting around to doing some part installs in preparation hopefully for a fall track day. I started the project of replacing the brake lines with Goodridge braided stainless, swapping pads to RSC1,and a full bleed with RBF600. Since I was doing this all at the same time I decided to use my 1 man bleeder bottles instead of the motiv power bleeder to avoid wasting any fluid. Everything went pretty smoothly, but attempting to bleed the rear right caliper where I started led to a strange gurgling noise. Now initially I thought it was just pushing residual air out of the system, but after almost a full bottle of fluid through the one caliper I know that something else is up. I never let the reservoir run dry, and there are no bubbles coming out of the caliper when I'm bleeding it, but still the strange gurgling noise once you get past half pedal travel.

I've now read a couple of places that for some strange reason the pedal shouldn't be completely depressed during bleeding process and I'm guessing that is what caused the issue. I want to make sure this won't lead to problems, but as far as I can tell the system is air free, the pedal is as hard as I remember it, and gets firmer with each press as it should. At this point I'm planning on finishing the job using my Motiv from here out to be safe. Not sure what are my next steps or if I should even be worried about the noise though.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on the matter?

Thanks,
--Gene C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 3,320
Wild guess: an air leak in the bleed apparatus?

Of all the narcissists I know, I love me the most.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
The one man bleeders are only at the caliper end, I was just pushing the pedal to create pressure. I bled with the motiv tonight just to verify and no air in the lines. I think I'll just continue with the motiv from here out and bleed the master cylinder at the end to be safe. Hopefully I haven't damaged some travel limited part in the pedal or actuator assembly.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-22-2018, 08:27 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
You may have air in the ABS and that is the source of the gurgling.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Google "Bleeding ABS Brake Systems". The article explains the fix for that and it might not be DIY. Please report back on your progress and the fix. Good luck.

Last edited by ItalGerBrit; 09-22-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Spelling and content error

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode