Waiting Delivery Of My F430 - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 4
Waiting Delivery Of My F430

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. Just picked up a red on black and red interior F430. The car should arrive at my house by next Monday. Can't wait. I'm thinking about putting a Hamann Body Kit on, what do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 07:00 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 167
I'm an OEM guy.

RM-
I'm an OEM guy except for eletronics and exhaust (Ferrari is limited)
Mark
post #3 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Mark-
I am also an audio guy.....that is going to be a must also, music from the stereo at a stop light, music from the exhaust when im going down the street

post #4 of 25 Old 04-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,990
It’s damn hot and awesome looking but…it will slow the car down and kill the top speed as well as make the car handle weird at higher speeds…but if you just want to cruise…hell yeah….if you want to keep your speed and handling…I would not recommend it.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

“I build cars for young men that only old men can afford” - Enzo Ferrari
post #5 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 03:01 AM
Administrator
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15,131
I would skip the body kit for all the same reasons Magnum references.
post #6 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 5,509
That kit does look awesome. Makes the car a real head turner. Did you buy the car for the performance or for the looks? I agree for a "driver's car" I'd leave it alone. For a "show car", oh yeah.

Capt. Pete
'79 308 GTS, '82 Jeep CJ7 Jamboree
"Time is what prevents everything from happening all at once."
post #7 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,884
I think it looks better without the bodykit, I'd just put a Tubi exhaust and make sure it comes with the Challenge Stradale's wheels

And make sure to post pictures of the car when you get it!!

=D

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going." - J. P. Kennedy
post #8 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum6464 View Post
It’s damn hot and awesome looking but…it will slow the car down and kill the top speed as well as make the car handle weird at higher speeds…but if you just want to cruise…hell yeah….if you want to keep your speed and handling…I would not recommend it.

~
I'm not sure Hamann would make something that slows the car down. I am guessing the kit improves handling by adding more down force.

It looks awesome too, go for it!
post #9 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for imputs. I will recieve my car on April 9th and I will post some pictures up. Also, I agree with Enzo250GTO, I dont think Hamann would make anything that would slow down the car. Besides, the fastest ive hit is 145 in my 997 and I dont have that much of a chance to go any faster in LA.
post #10 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-F430 View Post
Thanks for imputs. I will recieve my car on April 9th and I will post some pictures up. Also, I agree with Enzo250GTO, I dont think Hamann would make anything that would slow down the car. Besides, the fastest ive hit is 145 in my 997 and I dont have that much of a chance to go any faster in LA.
I am working on getting a sponsor that imports Hamann parts into the U.S. and they are close to you so I'm sure they can provide you more information. I will send you a PM with details.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO View Post
I'm not sure Hamann would make something that slows the car down. I am guessing the kit improves handling by adding more down force.

It looks awesome too, go for it!

Down force creates drag and drag slows the car, it’s plain physics, now under 100 mph…yes it will handle better and on a track but like I said and I re-quote “kill the top speed as well as make the car handle weird at higher speeds” because I doubt Hamann has a crew of 15 test pilots testing cars all day long every day and im sure they don’t spend several thousands of hours of aerodynamics testing in their wind tunnel designed for F1 then test it on their own test track. Ferrari has one of the most technologically advanced factory in the world. I highly doubt that Hamann can compete with that. But they sure make the best looking kits I have ever seen.

Now if I had an F430, would I buy the kit???? Hell yeah…not many places where you can do 195 mph +

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #12 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Down force creates drag and drag slows the car, it’s plain physics
not really, the down force is perpendicular to the speed of the car, and if you remember, the work done by a force is the scalar product between the force and the distance

if the degree between the force and the distance is 90, then there's no work produced by that force

if down force created drag, we would never be able to fly a plane!

plain physics, like you said ;-)

post #13 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stile - alpine View Post
not really, the down force is perpendicular to the speed of the car, and if you remember, the work done by a force is the scalar product between the force and the distance

if the degree between the force and the distance is 90, then there's no work produced by that force

if down force created drag, we would never be able to fly a plane!

plain physics, like you said ;-)
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

Try flying two planes that are exactly identical to each other one with its flaps down and the other trimmed for flight and the one with its flaps for take off will be going half speed at full engine power while the other is going at least twice as fast using only ¾ power.

What your talking about is exactly what im saying, drag slows everything down (at high speeds) since nothing is holding the plane from lifting…it does, but reverse that (on a car wing) and the pavement is creating the resistance thus adding weight to the car. You need to add more HP to compensate for the added weight. On the F599, the rear deck lid has a small lip, well it adds 400lbs of weight to the rear of the car to help it stay on the ground. So imagine a full rear spoiler……..

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 04-03-2007 at 09:17 PM.
post #14 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM

the problem with the flaps is that they stall the aerodynamic profile of the wing, you don't have such a problem in a car spoiler

yes, the down force does give you more grip, but the drag doesn't come from that

and the force that the pavement makes is, like the lift or down force from the wing, perpendicular to the car's speed and direction

post #15 of 25 Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
yes, the down force does give you more grip, but the drag doesn't come from that

I didn’t say more grip gives you more drag, drag come from an additional spoiler that adds more weight on the car (from the additional down force its providing), the engine has to work harder to compensate for the added weight it is causing at top speeds…therefore if more HP is not added then the top speed will be reduced due to it.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #16 of 25 Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 AM
Administrator
Elite Member

Quote:
Down force creates drag and drag slows the car, it’s plain physics, now under 100 mph…yes it will handle better and on a track but like I said and I re-quote “kill the top speed as well as make the car handle weird at higher speeds” because I doubt Hamann has a crew of 15 test pilots testing cars all day long every day and im sure they don’t spend several thousands of hours of aerodynamics testing in their wind tunnel designed for F1 then test it on their own test track. Ferrari has one of the most technologically advanced factory in the world. I highly doubt that Hamann can compete with that. But they sure make the best looking kits I have ever seen.

Now if I had an F430, would I buy the kit???? Hell yeah…not many places where you can do 195 mph +

~
I get the concept of more down force slowing a car down. This will only effect it's top speed and not the acceleration (unless it adds lots of weight).

Bottom line is that Hamann is a not a fly-by-night operation. They are one of the top tunners in Germany up there with RUF and others.
post #17 of 25 Old 04-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO View Post
Bottom line is that Hamann is a not a fly-by-night operation. They are one of the top tunners in Germany up there with RUF and others.
I never said that they were a fly-by-night operation. You said that you doubt that they would make something that would slow the car down. Well they do to a certain point but also have a reputation for having the best aftermarket body kits for exotics out there without changing the car like tuner kits out there where you don’t even know what kind of car it is after the changes. But you cant compare them to Ruf because Ruf modifies more than the body, they modify the engine for maximum performance and add 100 + hp…

This is what Ruf adds to their cars…(you probably know this but this is for readers who do not know)

Modified KKK twin Turbos
Re-mapped Bosch Motronic system (If applies)
New performance flywheel
New performance clutch
New performance exhaust system (headers, sport cats, muffler)
RUF air intake
RUF tuned ECU
RUF Intake Manifolds
Titanium connecting rods
New performance camshafts

This level of modification requires complete disassembly and re-assembly of the engine.
And some Porsche models get a new crate motor from Porsche to start with.

So you have two very different companies but both offer world class products.

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

Last edited by Magnum6464; 04-04-2007 at 07:11 AM.
post #18 of 25 Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
drag come from an additional spoiler that adds more weight on the car (from the additional down force its providing)
Mario, that's not right either... The spoiler creates down force, NOT weight!! If it was the same thing, you could just put tons and tons of iron, for example, in the trunk of the car, and it would be the same as putting a spoiler.

You don't see the F1 engineers developing heavier materials to make the car faster, right?

What you want is to have down force, so that the car grips, but without increasing the car's inertia. That is what the spoiler does. The down force created by the spoiler DOES NOT affect the inertia of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo250GTO
I get the concept of more down force slowing a car down. This will only effect it's top speed and not the acceleration (unless it adds lots of weight).
That's not right either... The down force doesn't slow the car down. Drag slows it down, not down force.

And adding a spoiler will affect both the top speed and the acceleration. The car will be slower, and the top speed will be reduced.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Owner
Elite Member

Quote:
Mario, that's not right either... The spoiler creates down force, NOT weight!! If it was the same thing, you could just put tons and tons of iron, for example, in the trunk of the car, and it would be the same as putting a spoiler.
Now your splitting hairs…you know what im saying, the down force created by the rear added spoiler adds more downwards pressure on the rear of the car to keep the rear planted on the pavement, it’s like adding weight but not, it’s just a way of explaining it. I never said it makes the car heavier………..Unless one would be stupid enough to fabricate a solid cast iron spoiler…..hahaha!!!!!

~

1990 348 TS (87284)

post #20 of 25 Old 04-04-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

im just gonna go ahead and go for it. besides, there are alot of 430's here, i dont want mine to look the same.

Enzo - can you PM me the info. THANKS

ill post some pic on monday when the car gets here and after the Hamann body kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode