F430 Couple questions on F430 PPI results -- xpost from pre-purchase help section - Ferrari Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Couple questions on F430 PPI results -- xpost from pre-purchase help section

It was suggested that I repost my questions in this section as well for visibility. The original post is here with the image referenced in the quote below; http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/fe...tml#post724169

Quote:
Just got the PPI details back on a car I'm considering and wanted some unbiased opinions.

Owner stated the clutch was replaced 12k ago but the PPI results show it's 75% worn meaning replacement is likely in the near future. Car is in a major metro with bad traffic so I'm guessing the high clutch wear is due to regular stop and go and hill usage. I'll be adjusting my offer accordingly as this will mean a first year maintenance cost of at least 5 to 7 thousand dollars at minimum.

TPMS sensors were throwing an alert, but the tech couldn't state definitively whether this was in individual sensor or the control unit. While the cost for this type of repair doesn't worry me much I'm not sure if I should infer from this that regular maintenance may have been lacking.

The only other issue that concerns me is a minor seepage around what I believe is the F1 hydraulic actuator unit. Picture of the leak is attached, seems minor, and didn't seem to concern the service manager too much. My bigger fear is whether this could be indicative of a more serious failure as the price tag on the F1 actuator assembly is difficult to clearly enunciate while simultaneously hyperventilating and crying...

On a more positive note, the car's interior and underbody look great for the mileage and the options list is almost perfect for me. I've made an offer given the condition but I'm still trying to wrap my head around the risk with the leak near the F1 assembly. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
--Gene C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 962
Yes, there's seepage around the actuator...This is not uncommon or of particular concern. If the solenoid leakage values from the SD-3 parameters were in line, your actuator repair/replacement is certainly a non-issue. The seepage at the transaxle case, should you decide to indulge, is a simple, modestly inexpensive repair. Clutch life is dependent on many factors, but certainly not limited to driving style. Many premature clutch wear issues are simply due to "not doing the job right" the first time. If the 75% wear is credible, a clutch replacement is in the near future. Without knowing precisely what will be needed, I would be estimating at least $7K to play it on the safe side. Other than the the "throwaway" ball joints and seepy/weepy water/oil pumps, the cars are pretty much bullet proof. TPMS sensors? Save your money and buy a good tire pressure gauge. Most generic TPMS tools can communicate with the wheel transmitters and give you their status.

Buy the very best car you can find...and don't look back.

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**
post #3 of 3 Old 11-09-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Yes, there's seepage around the actuator...This is not uncommon or of particular concern. If the solenoid leakage values from the SD-3 parameters were in line, your actuator repair/replacement is certainly a non-issue. The seepage at the transaxle case, should you decide to indulge, is a simple, modestly inexpensive repair. Clutch life is dependent on many factors, but certainly not limited to driving style. Many premature clutch wear issues are simply due to "not doing the job right" the first time. If the 75% wear is credible, a clutch replacement is in the near future. Without knowing precisely what will be needed, I would be estimating at least $7K to play it on the safe side. Other than the the "throwaway" ball joints and seepy/weepy water/oil pumps, the cars are pretty much bullet proof. TPMS sensors? Save your money and buy a good tire pressure gauge. Most generic TPMS tools can communicate with the wheel transmitters and give you their status.

Buy the very best car you can find...and don't look back.
Awesome feedback, thanks! I think I've gotten over the hump and am happy with the condition of the car at the price I'm getting. I'm heading out to do a final walk around/test drive and if all goes well drive it the 1300 miles back home.

Thanks to all who have chimed in in both of my threads. I'll be sure to post an update when I get her home.

Cheers,
--Gene C.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode