Originally Posted by David @ FluentInFerrari View Post
Thanks for the PM. My "tongue in cheek" response was purposeful, as many problems are often self-induced...and certainly are not limited to DIY folks, either. So, with that said, I'm going to presume that your car shifted fine before the custom electronics were installed. I am tangentially familiar with the Autel Maxisys tool, but am not aware of it's capabilities with the F1 system. If it is capable of reading F1 fault or even parameters, I can likely help you. FWIW, we use the factory SDX/SD-3 tools on the F430. That's the tool you really need for this sort of work.
A few things to check:
Any warning lights on (the dash)?
Do you hear the F1 pump running when you open the door?
Can you read the F1 pump pressure?
A puddle of ATF under the transaxle, by chance?
Do you have a gear display?
Can the Autel read the transmission input shaft speed? If so, what is it when you're sitting at idle?
Although unlikely, have you turned off the battery...then back on after sitting a bit?
I suspect that you're dealing with a wiring issue, perhaps brought on by the new electronics. However, I have found that anything is possible with these cars...
(There are gear selector potentiometers on the side of the transaxle that communicate with the TCU. That's what "ideloera" was referring to.)
Thanks again for the time and I can confirm the car was working fine before I touched it.
The Autel Maxisys has pages of readouts about the transmission that are live, but most of them I don't understand as I don't know what this or that actuator is doing. When I switch on the battery, there is a warning triangle that comes up at first, then go through all the initial set up and next time the ignition is turned on there is only a "Check OK" and "N" displayed. The OBD tool doesn't show any warnings on the transmission but sometimes had shown "U1706 Loss of communication with NFR" and I understand that is the communication with the sensors in the anti-lock brakes, but I am worried that it is another sensor that the transmission ECU might use to determine clutch engagement based upon attitude of the vehicle (or so some thread somewhere pointed to).
When I open the door, the F1 pump powers up and pressurizes the system in about 3 second. I haven't tried to read the pressure, but I will try to find the parameter with the Maxisys. However, if I use the Maxisys, with the engine off, to engage a gear, then the transmission will shift into whatever gear instructed, you can hear the actuators moving stuff, and then the display on the dash will confirm the proper gear is engaged. If you try to start after such a command, the transmission controller will put the car back into neutral before you can start, so it seems there might be enough pressure?
There is not puddle of any fluid under the car, but I did notice upon removing the front under body panel that there was a little (2 or 3 drops) of what looked like light colored hydraulic fluid there. It seems unrelated.
For the potential wiring issue, I had considered earlier, before breaking down and asking for help. I removed all the additions, put everything back to stock, and no change. It could be that something that I had done caused stress and a fault, I had check most fuses and will continue going through the wiring, but I don't know what things can stop the transmission from shifting, so it is difficult to know where to look.
When I start the car, it is in neutral, say idling at 1000 rpm. I make sure all the doors, hood, trunk, are shut, then press on the brake (and confirm break light is on), then press the "R" or "Up" paddle, and I can hear a little something like a relay softly engage, the rpm lowers by 100 to say 900 for about 2 seconds, then nothing happens, rpm returns to 1000. If I try to shift without my foot on the brake, I get a warning tone.
For the suggestions of "Ideloera", my ignorance of the F1 has been exposed. I have tried to run the "Self Learning" program on the transmission ECU, and hoped that would fix any problems, but there was no change. If the potentiometers were disconnected, I think there would be some fault noted, but I will check the wiring and make sure nothing is disconnected. Again, I am able to shift it with the Maxisys tool, so not sure if this is a potential.
Thanks for your help. This site and all of the members help is impressive.