F1 F430 Transmission Gear Engagement - Page 2 - Ferrari Life
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,301
Hi Greg, reading your posts again, it's an interesting fact that you're able to engage the gears with your diagnostic tool but not with the paddles. That alone eliminates quite many root causes and it really looks like your clutch can't engage/disengage. Can you please check the entire clutch hydraulic lines and make sure there are no leaks, including at the bleed block and nipple, or anything else that would be suspicious on the hydraulic pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ferrari Life Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Hi Greg, reading your posts again, it's an interesting fact that you're able to engage the gears with your diagnostic tool but not with the paddles. That alone eliminates quite many root causes and it really looks like your clutch can't engage/disengage. Can you please check the entire clutch hydraulic lines and make sure there are no leaks, including at the bleed block and nipple, or anything else that would be suspicious on the hydraulic pipes?
Stef, you and my local F12 friend Sandro had similar ideas. I have checked and found out that I am the root cause of my problems as usual.

Apparently, when taking off the engine bay covers, I must have hit the line and disengaged it (picture of pipe attached). I plugged it back in, and everything is working well.

Possibly before it was only partially off and so I didn't see it, but also I was more focused on looking for electrical connectors and was ignorant of this systems pipes and connections. Feel a bit foolish after finding such an easy solution.

So, it wasn't electronics, it was just a simple disconnected pipe that lead to my many week search but I learned a lot about the car in the mean time.

Ready to drive: Thanks to everyone for their help in resolving this problem!
Attached Images

post #23 of 29 Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Interesting to see that the hydraulic quick disconnect appears to be check valved and check valved on both sides (the way it should be). I've been told the 355 is not but not sure I believe that - I need verify it. Glad you found it.

post #24 of 29 Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Owner

Hi Greg, it's great you found the root cause of your issues. Sometimes, it can be as simple as this. Now you can eventually move on and enjoy all your upgrades
post #25 of 29 Old 10-12-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave rocks View Post
Interesting to see that the hydraulic quick disconnect appears to be check valved and check valved on both sides (the way it should be). I've been told the 355 is not but not sure I believe that - I need verify it. Glad you found it.
Dave, both sides are dry and when reconnected it is working fine, so I assume no air got in, nor fluid got out. I am glad I found it too (with 2 people pointing me at it... Now on some future nozzle lets see if Ferrari can anodize it red on the tip or something to alert the uninformed (people like me) that there might be something to connect here.

Had a nice 100 km drive today, in and out of traffic, and the hydraulic system is working great and better than before it seems (but I had also put in the F1 Relay from Stef so that probably helped a bit). Shifts are so crisp and when I pull away from a stop it doesn't shutter any longer when hot.
StefVan likes this.
post #26 of 29 Old 10-12-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Easy to install Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Hi Greg, it's great you found the root cause of your issues. Sometimes, it can be as simple as this. Now you can eventually move on and enjoy all your upgrades
Stef, got the New LED rear lights and 3rd brake light installed (shockingly bright), and the DRL, and the clear side markers, and the turn signal ECU. Next working on the engine bay and interior lighting! Obviously I am a fan of your work!

That solid state F1 Relay you sent me works great. Checked the wiring, plugged it in, and put the monitor hidden in the ashtray next to the header cutout and 9500ci detector switches (ashtray is getting crowded). Anyway that was the easiest install ever and had immediate results. Thanks again.
Attached Images

StefVan likes this.
post #27 of 29 Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,872
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBennett View Post
Dave, both sides are dry and when reconnected it is working fine, so I assume no air got in, nor fluid got out. I am glad I found it too (with 2 people pointing me at it... Now on some future nozzle lets see if Ferrari can anodize it red on the tip or something to alert the uninformed (people like me) that there might be something to connect here.
I had always figured that was a quick release hydraulic coupling with check valves, however, I was told in the past that it was not (on a 355). Last night I spoke with a tech and he actually sent me pictures (he has a 355 apart) and proved that the fitting is the same check valved quick disconnect (Perhaps not the same P/N though)
post #28 of 29 Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Owner
Sponsor

Ferrari Life Posts: 955
Quote:
So, it wasn't electronics, it was just a simple disconnected pipe that lead to my many week search but I learned a lot about the car in the mean time.
With this line disconnected, the clutch would never disengage. This is also why your transaxle input shaft speed was essentially the same as your idle speed, as the clutch was engaged. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the input shaft speed needs to be as close to zero as possible for a gear engagement to occur. Keep in mind that most of the diagnostic tools will override vehicle safeguards for testing purposes. Regardless, a great learning lesson. Congrats on getting to the bottom of this one!

Sarasota Italian Garage, LLC
Sarasota, FL
www.fluentinferrari.com
[email protected]

**An independent facility with no affiliation with Ferrari SpA**

Last edited by David @ FluentInFerrari; 10-13-2017 at 04:45 AM.
post #29 of 29 Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 PM
Owner

Well done Greg and many thanks for your nice compliments! I'm really glad that you can now start enjoying your upgrades

Quote:
Stef, got the New LED rear lights and 3rd brake light installed (shockingly bright), and the DRL, and the clear side markers, and the turn signal ECU. Next working on the engine bay and interior lighting! Obviously I am a fan of your work!

That solid state F1 Relay you sent me works great. Checked the wiring, plugged it in, and put the monitor hidden in the ashtray next to the header cutout and 9500ci detector switches (ashtray is getting crowded). Anyway that was the easiest install ever and had immediate results. Thanks again.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode