F430 360/430: DIY: F1 Pump Relay – Finally, a better designed relay - Ferrari Life
 73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 118 Old 08-07-2017, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Ferrari Life Posts: 60
360/430: DIY: F1 Pump Relay – Finally, a better designed relay

A known issue for both 360 and F430 is the F1 pump relay. These are mechanical relays and when they go bad they can keep the F1 transmission pump running endlessly and will eventually overheat & damage the F1 hydraulic pump. The metal contacts inside the relay also create sparks during electrical connection engagement thus it shortens its life. F1 pump / hydraulic system failure is a very costly repair.

Some have upgraded to better made (BMW) relays & higher current rating 30A to 50A but in my opinion, a solid state relay with no mechanical moving parts is a better option. But not one was available out there, until now.

I’m a big fan of Stef and his great products. When I heard he is developing a replacement F1 pump relay I volunteered to test his product on my 2006 F430 Spider F1.

I read Stef developed a smart F1 transmission ECU relay that is completely plug and play, microprocessor based ECU & firmware controlled with no relay coil, no internal switch contacts or any internal mechanical moving parts so it can instantly switch connection. Plus, it can handle current up to 200A! (F1 mechanical relays are 30A and some are 50A)

In exchange for an honest review, Stef has provided me a Pre-Production sample to test on my 2006 F430 Spider with F1 transmission.

Here’s my review:

It’s completely plug & play. Took me 10 minutes to remove & replace mine. Very easy.
I didn’t have to change any of the default settings. I just plugged it in, attached the ground wire and went for a drive to test it out. (Just follow the instructions provided as they are spot on.) No need to change any of factory settings.
Immediately the gear shifts are much improved. Shifts are much smoother during low RPM city driving. Crisp shifts during hard acceleration / high RPM. Amazing.

Automatic downshifts during deceleration is also much smoother. My car used to lag & chuckle as I slow down to stop lights. This is no longer an issue.

Best part of all – again, there is no mechanical relay parts that can go bad and damage the F1 hydraulic system. No sparks, no contacts heating or wearing out, no transients or delays.

Summary:
Highly recommended. Now I have peace of mind knowing that my hydraulic system is energized & protected by this smart eMT relay ECU. This smart eMT ECU now controls the F1 pump so I wont have to worry about a fried relay or burnt F1 pump. And it's very affordable at $260.00. A very small price to pay for peace of mind in my opinion.

Thank you Stef for designing & manufacturing great products for our pride & joy.

Hope that helps some of you. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Note:
I have no business affiliation with Stef Scud Ing Swiss.
I am just sharing information and my experience with this product.

Dan
Attached Images

bay, GSBennett and neil dale like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 08-08-2017, 01:01 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,289
Many thanks Dan for posting your review here on FerrariLife

All our Release Candidates of this ECU encountered a great success and offered immediately a huge improvement to the F1 hydraulic system. We've just released V2.8 of our firmware which now integrates also an advanced pump cycles diagnostic system which analyzes how often the pump is running. If the pump needs to run too frequently with little rest times between the cycles, it certainly indicates that there is an issue with the hydraulic system. The ECU is smart enough to make the difference between temporary short pump rest times (when doing many up/down gearbox shifts) and real hydraulic issues.

The entire list of all advantages offered by the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU can be found on our website : ***NEW*** SMART EMT F1 RELAY ECU

This ECU is not just for Ferrari cars and may avoid very costly repair bills on other car brands using a very similar electro-hydraulic system:
  • Ferrari F1: F430 manual with E-Diff only and F430 F1 (including Scuderia / 16M), 360 F1, F355 F1, 575M, 599, 599 GTO, 612, Enzo, FXX
  • Maserati Cambiocorsa: Coupé/Spyder, GranSport, 4200, Quattroporte, Granturismo
  • Lamborghini E-Gear: Gallardo (Coupé, Spider, Superleggera, LP550, LP560, LP570), Murcielago (LP640, LP670), Aventador
  • Aston Martin ASM/SSM: V12 Vanquish, Vanquish S
  • Alpha Romeo Selespeed: 156, 147, 159, GT JTS, Brera, Spider, 8C (Q-Select)
  • Audi R8 R-Tronic
  • BMW SMG: E36 M3, E46 M3, E60 M5, E63/64 M6, E85 Z4
  • Fiat Selespeed: Punto, Stilo Abarth, Bravo Brazil (Dualogic)
  • Lancia DFN: Musa, Ypsilon
  • Lexus ASG: 2010 Lexus LFA
  • Proton AMT: Savvy
  • Toyota SMT: 2002 Toyota MR2

Other reviews have been posted also on Instagram by FerrariLife members:

Scientific Breakthrough by ferrarilights after years of R&D!

My #16mdownunder has been unleashed thanks to ferrarilights new Smart eMT Relay ECU!

Addict x Works

Addict X Works 23,700th post

We are currently making tests on several other car brands like the Gallardo (E-gear) and Maserati GTS (Cambiocorsa) where the same improvements are applied to these hydraulic systems. Official dealers expressed how happy they are that eventually such ECU will eliminate a lot issues but help also to prevent upcoming hydraulic issues before its too late (and very expensive repair bills...). They like also that the ECU has a complete diagnosis system which logs every hydraulic fault event in its memory and allows the workshops to know immediately what is the root cause of the hydraulic problems.

Stay tuned about this revolution!
bay, GSBennett and neil dale like this.

Last edited by StefVan; 08-08-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #3 of 118 Old 08-21-2017, 11:53 AM
Owner

This is the final production version of the new Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU.

Many official dealers and specialized workshops approved this solution as being a huge improvement for all robotized transmissions, not just Ferraris but also Maserati, Lamborghini, Audi R8 etc.

Some dealers will from now even replace failing OEM relays only with this new solution.

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...relay-ecu.html
Attached Images

bay, whatheheck and GSBennett like this.

post #4 of 118 Old 08-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Owner

Bulletproofing the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU on track under extreme stress conditions.

The ECU never failed to manage a huge number of hydraulic pressure requests while safeguarding the entire hydraulic system!

On one car where we installed also this Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU, the ECU did a great job because the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU diagnosed a sticky accumulator diaphragm and the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU decided to shutdown immediately the hydraulic pump before more damage would be caused to the hydraulic system. I never say it enough but the hydraulic accumulator sphere is a maintenance part and must be changed regularly!

bay, whatheheck, GSBennett and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 118 Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 20
Awesome work Stef! Can't wait to receive my unit. Can you please email me the install instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 118 Old 08-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Owner

Many thanks Isi! Email sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideloera View Post
Awesome work Stef! Can't wait to receive my unit. Can you please email me the install instructions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 118 Old 08-22-2017, 02:39 AM
bay
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
I never say it enough but the hydraulic accumulator sphere is a maintenance part and must be changed regularly!
Hello Stef, it is possible to change the hydraulic accumulator sphere only ?
StefVan likes this.

Present : Ghibli III V6 3.0 330 cv Grigio Maratea 571
Past :550 Maranello 1/98 110069 Ass 27389
http://www.bernardsport.be/maranello/
Registre 550
post #8 of 118 Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
Hello Stef, it is possible to change the hydraulic accumulator sphere only ?
Hello, yes it's perfectly possible to change only the hydraulic accumulator which is a quite common part. Ferrari & Lamborghini & Fiat use diaphragm accumulator spheres while Maserati uses a piston type accumulator. Most of the specialized independent workshops or dealer workshops can change just the accumulator. Fiat part is #71751195. It requires to bleed entirely the F1 hydraulic system before the accumulator change.
Attached Images

bay and whatheheck like this.
post #9 of 118 Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Looks great Stef!

Awesome job!

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
This is the final production version of the new Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU.

Many official dealers and specialized workshops approved this solution as being a huge improvement for all robotized transmissions, not just Ferraris but also Maserati, Lamborghini, Audi R8 etc.

Some dealers will from now even replace failing OEM relays only with this new solution.

StefVan likes this.
post #10 of 118 Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM
Owner

Many thanks Dan, it was a lot hard work to achieve this but really worth it as this addresses a real issue on our beauties

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatheheck View Post
Looks great Stef!

Awesome job!

Dan
post #11 of 118 Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 AM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
My buddy Stefan must be pyschic!!!

I have been having issues with my Scudie for the past week, throwing off abs, cst and all sorts of engine checklights and car stalling when revved hard during idle. Pressure gauge jumps past 5 bar momentarily before car shuts down. Issues only appear when driving on the road and not when the Scudie was tested and checked whilst parked stationary in the shop. Tech couldn't figure out where the gremlins were hiding for the longest time. We were both scratching our heads. This fault came at the worst of all timings since we just pulled off a major engine upgrade...we were already starting to doubt the integrityof the performance kit.

So I decided to slap on the SCUD ING SWISS EMT ECU release candidate sent to me compliments of Stefan. Took her out for a test drive last night with the tech and out came all the checklights again...plus the EMT ECU threw off warning signals too. Strangely the car didn't stall. I managed to pull the car to the roadside...plugged the sd3 in immediately and fault codes pointed to a failure in the power unit, f1 pump and the hydraulic accumulator! It was pretty late so I didn't bother googling up the part to investigate.

Logged on to FL this morning and caught up with Stefan's post on his innovative EMT ECU and VIOLA! He was writing all about how the EMT ECU detected a failure in the power unit which consists of the f1 pump as well as the hydraulic accumulator and shutting it down to prevent further possible damage. He also mentioned how the hydraulic accumulator is a maintenance part that requires replacement every now and then! Whats up with this Swiss genius? Talk about timely information!

So there you have folks! The SCUD ING SWISS EMT ECU really works! I have just ordered the hydraulic accumulator. Hopefully I get it within the week and I'll report back with the progress.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
StefVan and whatheheck like this.
post #12 of 118 Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Owner

Many thanks Buddy for posting your experience with the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU! I'm very glad that the Smart eMT ECU did its job by warning you of this failure, more common than we think but makes owners believe that the hydraulic pump motor is the problem while it's not (well the pump motor will eventually fail as a consequence of the accumulator issue). It's good you quickly finger pointed this problem because it could have caused very expensive consequences!!! That's why we've developed this Smart eMT ECU, a small price for a huge peace of mind

I'm pretty much sure that you got a sticky or torn accumulator diaphragm. In very hot+humid countries like yours, this happens even more often. The diaphragm after all is only a rubber part which will wear out sooner or later and on any car using such accumulator.

Hope you'll get your Scudie fixed soon and enjoy her again!

***NEW*** SMART EMT F1 RELAY ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Addict View Post
My buddy Stefan must be pyschic!!!

I have been having issues with my Scudie for the past week, throwing off abs, cst and all sorts of engine checklights and car stalling when revved hard during idle. Pressure gauge jumps past 5 bar momentarily before car shuts down. Issues only appear when driving on the road and not when the Scudie was tested and checked whilst parked stationary in the shop. Tech couldn't figure out where the gremlins were hiding for the longest time. We were both scratching our heads. This fault came at the worst of all timings since we just pulled off a major engine upgrade...we were already starting to doubt the integrityof the performance kit.

So I decided to slap on the SCUD ING SWISS EMT ECU release candidate sent to me compliments of Stefan. Took her out for a test drive last night with the tech and out came all the checklights again...plus the EMT ECU threw off warning signals too. Strangely the car didn't stall. I managed to pull the car to the roadside...plugged the sd3 in immediately and fault codes pointed to a failure in the power unit, f1 pump and the hydraulic accumulator! It was pretty late so I didn't bother googling up the part to investigate.

Logged on to FL this morning and caught up with Stefan's post on his innovative EMT ECU and VIOLA! He was writing all about how the EMT ECU detected a failure in the power unit which consists of the f1 pump as well as the hydraulic accumulator and shutting it down to prevent further possible damage. He also mentioned how the hydraulic accumulator is a maintenance part that requires replacement every now and then! Whats up with this Swiss genius? Talk about timely information!

So there you have folks! The SCUD ING SWISS EMT ECU really works! I have just ordered the hydraulic accumulator. Hopefully I get it within the week and I'll report back with the progress.

post #13 of 118 Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 1,075
I can't thank you enough Stef. We owners just fork out a small fee or the tremendous effort you put in. You truly have the owner's interest at heart and one day (I hope sooner rather than later) you receive the recognition you deserve.

post #14 of 118 Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Owner

Thanks Buddy, it's very kind of you. But it's me who thanks you so much for all your immense support which is very rare today! A huge thank you to Dan too and others like specialized workshops who are not members here and who have been testing truly this revolutionary system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430Addict View Post
I can't thank you enough Stef. We owners just fork out a small fee or the tremendous effort you put in. You truly have the owner's interest at heart and one day (I hope sooner rather than later) you receive the recognition you deserve.

post #15 of 118 Old 09-01-2017, 08:50 AM
Owner

We've already dispatched a large number of this eMT ECU, packages leaving our premises daily to worldwide destinations. The feedback we're getting from very happy owners (not only Ferrari owners but Maserati and Lambo as well) is almost the best part because ALL of them are simply amazed by the performances of the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU ! Official launch is in 15 days, so take advantage of the pre-sale conditions, it's really worth it.

post #16 of 118 Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 AM
Owner

Many of the EMT Relay ECUs have already been installed since the pre-sale launch, including Maserati (4200 GT + QT V). We're receiving a lot positive feedback like for example: https://www.instagram.com/p/BYwSTGLl90i/

"Thanks to #lomotionauto for installing my F1 smart relay from @ ferrarilights . Shifts are soooo much smoother and overall drivability is improved..."

and also from a very happy F430 owner in Spain:

"My dealer is excited about this. believe it can offer it to many customers (it is one of the best independent of the east of europe, restores classics ferrari with approval of ferrari italia)
I sincerely believe that it will revolutionize the world of changes f1. This little box is the skynet (of the film terminator).

We have done a few tests, simply by connecting it the sound of the pump has completely changed. Works in longer cycles and for less time. My dealer has been impressed, he is interested in installing this and offering it to his customers of lamborghini ferrari aston martin etc ...

My respect and admiration for you"

Pre-sale reduced price action will finish on 15th September, don't miss it! ***NEW*** SMART EMT F1 RELAY ECU
post #17 of 118 Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 PM
Owner

Working also on the Gallardo LP560-4 where the exact same hydraulic system is used for the robotized manual gearbox. While the older Gallardo is straight forward, the LP-560/LP-570 and Aventador use a quite specific e-gear pump relay. We've now already designed this specific relay pin layout to be manufactured and then integrated into the Smart eMT Relay ECU. All Murcielago, Gallardo and Aventador models will be supported as well as all BMW SMG I, II and III!
Attached Images

whatheheck likes this.
post #18 of 118 Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

I've had Stef's Smart eMT F1 relay in my car now for over a month and it has been running great. Zero issues.

And now I have peace of mind that the original Ferrari relay will not go bad and fry my F1 hydraulic system and cause catastrophic damage resulting in expensive repairs.

Thank you again, Stef for making such great products for our pride and joy.

All the best to you always,

Dan
StefVan likes this.
post #19 of 118 Old 09-14-2017, 11:36 AM
Owner

Many thanks Dan for your great feedback!

We've equipped now over 70 cars worldwide in no time and got great impressions and feedback. Most appreciated fact is that this Smart eMT F1 Relay isn't just replacing the OEM relay but really monitors the way the hydraulic system works. Well before the TCU warnings (if any will come), this eMT ECU will warn you if your hydraulic system performances start to deteriorate. Already several owners thanked me because the ECU warned them of upcoming issues which were resolved at minimum expense. Without such warnings, it may have costed much more at end.
GSBennett likes this.
post #20 of 118 Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM

Ferrari Life Posts: 2
I am a very happy convert to the F1 pump relay, I am extremely pleased with the shift response time and having a system monitor for the pump. I changed mine out in less than 10 minutes on my F360, very straightforward process. I will order another now for my 2004 E46 SMG M3 as well, it is money well spent! Customer support is also top notch!
Thanks Stef,
Paul
StefVan, bay and whatheheck like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode