F430 360/430: DIY: F1 Pump Relay – Finally, a better designed relay - Page 5 - Ferrari Life
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 140 Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Owner

Ferrari Life Posts: 2,354
Many thanks Dan!

From a French Maserati Quattroporte owner:
"I received and installed the ECU on my Quattroporte. It's perfect, the explanations are clear and I did not need to install it at my usual workshop. I just did a test drive and it seems to me, but it is only suggestive, that gear shifts are a little bit faster. Congratulations for the fast shipping and the quality of the product. I just advised a friend who owns an F430."

The Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU has now also been installed on many Maseratis with great results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 140 Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 AM
Owner

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...relay-ecu.html

The Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU has been installed on many Ferrari 360s but some USA owners got confused about the location of the F1 pump relay because the USA spec cars do have also an air pump relay in the same area. The air pump relay is always black and is located UNDER the F1 pump relay. Make sure you replace the relay located ABOVE it as shown on this picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by StefVan; 07-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #83 of 140 Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Owner

Many interesting discussions going on different Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini or Aston Martin forums. The main topic which regularly comes back is the improvements of gear shifts (or not). While the main purpose of the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU is to greatly improve reliability, safety and protect the TCU & F1 system, we receive daily testimonials of also improved gear shifts like this one:

to paraphrase Maxwell Smart... "would you believe..." I noticed a difference in shift!

In standard/comfort mode, shifting manually, I always found that the 1-2 shift needed to be done at 3000 rpm, and was a bit slow. I found the same for the 2-3 shift. After installing the new solid state relay, I can shift from 2-3 comfortably at 2500 rpm... its noticeably quicker/smoother (same going back down).

I never found the higher gear changes (from 3-4 etc) to be to slow, but def the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts. Now 1-2 is a touch smoother, but 2-3 substantially better.

I haven't yet compared auto mode or sport mode.

Overall, for the money (I bought the basic version), I'm impressed I can notice anything, especially since I really just bought it for peace of mind/pump longevity & security.

Whatever the shift results are on your car, installing the Smart eMT ECU is definitely a vast improvement compared to the stone age stock relay and is the perfect high-tech link between the TCU and the F1 system.
Attached Images

whatheheck likes this.

post #84 of 140 Old 08-16-2018, 05:22 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Hi, StefVan,

I have just ordered this product and the one regarding the turning lights control! I’m looking forward to receive them and install. I will update you on my impressions!
StefVan likes this.
post #85 of 140 Old 08-16-2018, 11:33 AM
Owner

Hi,
Many thanks for joining us here on FerrariLife and a great thank you for your order. You'll see that both solutions will be a vast improvement of your F430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcinho View Post
Hi, StefVan,

I have just ordered this product and the one regarding the turning lights control! I’m looking forward to receive them and install. I will update you on my impressions!
post #86 of 140 Old 08-22-2018, 12:24 AM

Ferrari Life Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVan View Post
Hi,
Many thanks for joining us here on FerrariLife and a great thank you for your order. You'll see that both solutions will be a vast improvement of your F430
Hey! I installed both very easily and everything works fine! I have to admit that the turning signal lights ecu configuration makes your head explode but once you get used to it, it's fine.
StefVan likes this.
post #87 of 140 Old 08-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Owner

Great, many thanks for your feedback

Regarding the Smart TSL ECU configuration, there is also a video available on our website which may help (in the installation section at the bottom of the page) :

https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...t-tls-ecu.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcinho View Post
Hey! I installed both very easily and everything works fine! I have to admit that the turning signal lights ecu configuration makes your head explode but once you get used to it, it's fine.
post #88 of 140 Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 AM
Owner

If I understood your question correctly, once the Smart eMT ECU is installed, you'll never have to worry about it anymore. It will last well more than the lifetime of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil dale View Post
and how often should it be changed? thx !
post #89 of 140 Old 09-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Owner

Simply never Our technology is bullet proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil dale View Post
ok change it how regularly ? miles , ? months ?
post #90 of 140 Old 09-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Owner

May thanks Neil for the clarification. The lifetime of the hydraulic accumulator varies a lot depending on the climate and drive conditions. From experience, hydraulic accumulators won't last more than 10 years and will start leaking the internal gas and/or start having issues with the internal NBR diaphragm. It's quite easy to check if the accumulator reached its end of life by introducing a tiny stick (not sharp!) inside the opening after having removed it from the hydraulic power unit. If there is almost no resistance anymore when pressing on the internal diaphragm, the accumulator is good to be replaced.

You can also read more about it on our website in the "recommendations" section: https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/cont...ecommendations
neil dale likes this.
post #91 of 140 Old 09-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Owner

And feedback keep coming, almost every day, owners thank us because the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU early warned them that there was an upcoming issue on the F1 system. Here's an example where the eMT ECU alerted that the pump was running for too long time:

"I finally figured out the problem. There was leakage on the f1 pump and got it fixed and the transmission works like a charm and all I can see from the smart eMT is green light and it shifts beautifully."

Another one (after many exchanged emails & videos) - posted also on FC:
"I purchased a used F1 pump/motor on here for the lowly sum of $20.00. Not really think too much about it, I took it to our local alternator shop and had him go through the motor. He cleaned it up and found nothing wrong with it. I then installed it in the car. Immediately, I noticed my little Scud Ing flashy thing didn't make the annoying beeping sounds as it had before. It seems on a cold car, the prime time is about 5 secs where as with my original motor, it was closer to 8 sec. Anyway, no more blinky F1 light after the car has been driven. So, one apparent problem was the motor was on the way out. Not bad for a $20 motor...."

The integrated Early Warning system is the real BONUS of this solid state relay ECU. And it can save you a lot money if caught not too late.
whatheheck and neil dale like this.
post #92 of 140 Old 09-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Owner

Neil, not sure that a piston type accumulator would last longer because the piston seals will also wear out after several years. Just as the spherical accumulator, the piston type must also be considered as maintenance part. Furthermore, on the 430, it would be impossible to fit vertically a piston type accumulator. The vertical position on the power unit is essential and that's why a spherical accumulator is used on the F430.
neil dale likes this.
post #93 of 140 Old 09-16-2018, 10:08 PM
Owner

The Smart eMT Relay ECU is also been installed on the Audi R8 V8/V10 with the R-Tronic automated manual transmission. The hydraulic pump relay and relay carrier is 100% identical to the Lamborghini Gallardo LP560!

Read why the OEM hydraulic pump relay is the single point of failure and why you should replace it with our Smart eMT Relay ECU: https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...relay-ecu.html
Attached Images

post #94 of 140 Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Owner

New Aluminum enclosure for Advanced Version

*** NEW ***

We designed a new aluminum profile enclosure for the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU - Advanced Version.

Made of high profile aluminum and anodized in a specific shade of blue color.

From now, all Advanced Smart eMT ECU units will be dispatched with this new enclosure. The Basic version will continue to be delivered in its black ABS Flame retardant enclosure (UL94-V0).
Attached Images

post #95 of 140 Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM
Owner

Since the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU can now be installed on a great number of cars & models, we've completed our pump relay cross reference guide with a chart showing which OEM relay matches the Type 1, 2 or 3 version of the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU plug type. This should make life easier and avoid confusion.

The complete plug type guide can be downloaded here: https://www.scuding.com/Shop/en/ecu-...relay-ecu.html
Attached Images

post #96 of 140 Old 10-08-2018, 11:41 AM
mjz

Ferrari Life Posts: 7
Hi Stef,

I am an original owner of a 2007 F430 with 9,000 miles. Just yesterday, after a longer than usual garage stay (lots of rain in Houston preventing this pony from getting some run time!), reverse gear failed to work after 40 minutes of driving. After cool down, no issues and then after returning home (another 40 minutes run time), still no issues.

I read about your ECU controlled relay and wonder if maybe I should consider your upgrade to prevent premature failure of my F1 pump? I read if the pump gets too hot "R" (reverse) will not engage.

Thoughts? Seems simple enough to install your ECU controlled relay.

Thanks
post #97 of 140 Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 PM
Owner

Hi @mjz ,

Many thanks for your post.

No doubt, the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU is a vast improvement to the F430 F1 system and the Advanced version will even early warn you if it detects any F1 - E-DIFF hydraulic issues. The Smart eMT ECU will definitely protect your F1 pump and motor and prevent it from getting too hot or burn out.

Although, if you have other issues which are not directly related to the hydraulic system like a worn clutch, position sensor issues, gear engagement & alignment issues, the only way is the get your car checked by your dealer or workshop with the appropriate diagnostic systems. If your reverse gear failed to engage, you may have a clutch and/or position sensor issue and there is good chance that an error code has been stored in the TCU. I would bring it to your dealer to get it checked.

The Smart eMT ECU is very easy to install, all you need to do is to unplug the original pump relay and plug the Smart eMT ECU + connect the ground wire to a good ground location. Everything is well explained in the installation guide you can download from our website and there are also several videos available.

Many thanks
post #98 of 140 Old 10-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Owner

A video received by a Ferrari 360 from Norway who installed our Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU with great success. Thank you to this owner for sharing his video.

Attached Images

whatheheck likes this.
post #99 of 140 Old 10-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Owner

We recently had another interesting case where the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU - Advanced alerted an issue on the hydraulic pump. The USA Ferrari 360 owner thought that it was our ECU that was causing the issues because with the original relay, he had no problems.

After he returned the eMT ECU, we tested it and without much surprises, it was working perfectly fine. The interesting part was when we checked the logged faults in the eMT ECU and we discovered that the eMT ECU alerted several times the owner of the pump motor draining too much current. We advised this owner to get his pump checked which must be considered as a maintenance part. At the end, it was indeed the pump that was faulty creating too much resistance on the motor, and thus made it draining too much current.

With the original relay, he would had ended up burning out the motor without any warnings which would have costed well more in addition of having the car been towed.
whatheheck likes this.
post #100 of 140 Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Owner

Another review received by email from a UK F430 owner which speaks for itself. We've received already so many positive testimonials where the Smart eMT F1 Relay ECU - Advanced Version diagnosed an upcoming issue on the F1 system well before it was getting too serious, and expensive to repair. The ECU has already been installed on many different car brands like Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborgini, Aston Martin or Audi R8.

"I found installing the ECU and Monitoring Module very straight forward with precise and accurate online instructions from the website download. If you want to be totally reassured that your gear change and clutch operating hydraulic system is performing and operating correctly then this product is excellent. The first couple of journeys I had the error No7 was indicated on the monitor, I have been working on a way in which to change all of the fluid from this system without the use of a SD3,(not successful as yet!) I have suspected for some time that the fluid may not be at its best, so I extracted as much fluid as possible from the reservoir (approx 250ml) and refilled with fresh fluid. There has been no recurrence of this fault, and a fault that I would have never known about until it was possibly to late and very expensive! I have made no changes to the configuration of the ECU, other than to run through the settings to cross reference them against your factory settings. I believe this to be a worth while cost effective product."

Don't wait for an expensive F1 failure, upgrade your pump relay now!

whatheheck likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode